“An unexpected slice of East Coast in Talkeetna”

Mountain High Pizza Pie
Ranked #5 of 28 Restaurants in Talkeetna
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: We invite you to our lively purple pizzeria, nestled at the foot of the towering peaks of the Alaska Range, in the little town of Talkeetna. Our menu is a collaboration of countless Basilone family recipes. Our famous Pizza Pie, home made Flat Breads, soups with vegetables from our garden, and our legendary Mountain High sauce are a reflection of our family's dedication to bring you the best and freshest food from our kitchen to your table.
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Mountain High Pizza Pie is, arguably, the happiest place in Talkeetna. With the brightly colored picnic tables and umbrellas, wonderful servers/bartenders/cooks, live music in the humble yet awesome outdoor stage, fresh herbs and flowers galore in the many flower boxes and amazing home-cooked/home-loved food, a stop at this shop IS A MUST. As a self-proclaimed Portland, Oregon foody, it is difficult to find a meal you can really wrap yourself around in up here in the sub-arctic. However, a pizza or a sandwich from here warms the stomach and the heart of even the foody-est of people (moi). The dough is homemade, the bread for the sammies are homemade, the kitchen uses fresh herbs from the gardens in sauces (that are home made) and YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN SLICE. I had 2 slices (which is a half pizza) and a beer for less than $15 including tip! Also, great beer selection and great place to watch people passing by to the river. My Talkeetna trip will never be complete until I get a slice from Mountain High Pizza Pie.

1  Thank NattieMae

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Food was not spectacular, but it wasn't bad. What really drives me to give Mountain High a good review is the service. We pulled into Talkeetna pretty late, and even though they were due to close in about 5 minutes (we did not know), they served us anyhow. We tried to leave when we found out, but they would have none of it telling us we needed supper (rest of town was closing as well).

I'd go back, if nothing else, for the hospitality.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I live in New York City, which automatically makes me a little bit of an [--] when it comes to restaurant reviews, especially if we’re talking about Italian food. My grandfather owned a diner, my father owned a pizza joint, and I worked in restaurants and bars for about 12 years. I’ll eat pretty much anything, but I’m an incredibly harsh critic, especially if we’re talking about pizza.

And I absolutely bow down to our new heroes at Mountain High Pizza Pie, which served me one of the best feasts I’ve had in any restaurant, anywhere. Screw New York: you guys beat the crap out of anything I’ve eaten in Little Italy.

We stopped in for breakfast on a Sunday, and ordered the breakfast pizza (with a sourdough crust… my New Yorker fiancé swears that it was the best pizza crust she’s ever eaten) and the day’s breakfast special, an obscure Italian classic called pastio. I’d never heard of the stuff before, and I found exactly zero mention of it on Chowhound or Google… but I fell madly in love with it: Italian sausage, pasta, eggs, and cheese, artfully baked into a pie better than the best lasagna, quiche, or Spanish breakfast tortilla I’ve ever eaten.

We loved the pastio and pizza so much that we stayed in the restaurant for several hours after our meal, reading, dozing, and using the wifi until we got hungry enough to eat another pair of entrees: more pastio, and a equally wonderful breakfast stromboli. Yes, we ate breakfast twice, without leaving the restaurant… it was that good. Bonus points to our wonderful redheaded server, who made us feel 100% comfortable occupying a table in the restaurant for five hours straight. We foolishly failed to ask for your name, but we love you like a sister for feeding us so damned well.

And in case you’re wondering: the chef/owner is Italian-American and comes from a long line of chefs. I think he said that the pastio recipe came from his grandmother, and that the recipe for the sourdough pizza crust has been in his family for five generations. So there’s some genuine old-world Italian love going on in little Talkeetna, Alaska.

Take it from a food-obsessed New Yorker who has eaten literally hundreds of slices of pizza in the Big Apple: Mountain High offers some of the best Italian awesomeness in Alaska… or anywhere else in the country.

1  Thank WildBoarNYC
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Having traveled all the major great cities known for their pizza, i never thought i'd find it in one of the coolest little towns in Alaska! Whether your going to Talkeetna to rip up the snow machine trails or just to stare in awe at Denali, there's always one thing we do, and that's eat an awesome pizza from Mountain High Pizza! From the friendly folks that cook,and serve, to the best pizza in Alaska, you can't go wrong! They do it right just like the old school places from the eastern lower 48 used to.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

Traveling to Talkeetna from Anchorage in -26 degrees weather, I didn't know what to expect when we arrived. We went into Mountain High Pizza Pie to get a slice and stay warm. There were a few people inside. Everyone knew each other. The Steelers football playoff game was on the TV and Troy Polamalu's jersey was hanging up next to his picture. I didn't feel like I was in Talkeetna. The owner is a Steeler's fan.

The pizza was good and tasty. The waitress was friendly and attentive to us. We were glad we stopped in for a bite. I'm sure the place is different in the warmer months.