“Bear Spring Drop Hunt”

Mahay's Jet Boat Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Mahay's Jet Boat Adventures is a family owned business that has been in operation for over 30 years. We are located approximately 2 hours north of Anchorage, just 14 miles off the Parks Highway, on your way north to Denali National Park or Fairbanks. There are 3 different tours that you can choose from, with varying lengths and adventure, each offering something different. All trips include our 1/4 mile nature walk where Naturalists will talk with you about the early settlers in the area (the Dena'ina Indians and trappers)and show how basically and rustically they lived with the authentic replications of their dwellings. Our premier trip is the Devil's Canyon Tour where you will be able to experience Class V whitewater in the 45' jet boat, all while staying safe, dry and comfortable. There is also the Three Rivers Tour, where you will travel on the Chulitna River. This river is a braided river which offers a unique and picturesque experience. Alaska is one of 4 areas in the world that has an extensive braided river system.
Fairbanks, Alaska
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Bear Spring Drop Hunt”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Took me out for a weekend to do a bear drop hunt. They were accommodating and worked well with my schedule. Originally they told us that we had to have two for the trip so that they made enough money to pay for the boat's gas, well my partner dropped out on me at the last minute. I called Mahay and he said to come down anyways. They took me out the next morning. I am not really complaining since they didn't have to take me out at all, but my only concern was that the spot they took me to was only about 3 miles from the put in (the bridge over the Talkeetna river). All weekend I heard ATV's going up and down the trail network on the other side of the ridge line I was dropped at. I saw plenty of bear sign where they dropped me at, but alias I saw not one bear. But hey, that's why they call it hunting.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank allg00dnamesaretaken

Cleveland, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A not to miss adventure, A necessary part of the best Alaskan Experience”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Devils Canyon Tour

First of all the folks are first class. They know what they are doing and make your experience nothing but excitement and pleasure.
We had Eli and Abby as our Captain and Mate. The two of them have the skills and experience to make the journey flawless and a not to miss experience.
It had rained for three weeks and the day of the boat trip was picture perfect day. Absolutely the best view of Denali South of our whole Alaskan trip.
The river was raging and Eli piloted the boat flawlessly. His ability to read the river and navigate the current is to be commended and praised what a professional.
Abby made everyone feel comfortable and gave everyone a good understanding of the whole experience in the river.
I am certain there was folks on the boat that did not understand the skill and experience required to make the trip in the high water but as a person who has run whitewater in my drift boat it was a pleasure to have Eli's experience behind the controls.
The lunch was better than expected. Saw eagles and a bear. Everything was first class.
Steve and his folks are truly Great Alaskan Experience Hosts and if you go near Talkeetna I would suggest you take the Devils Canyon Trip.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jimmer22
SANFORD
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Relaxing, Interesting and Fun”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The boat ride was warm, cozy, and beautiful with Mt McKinley in the background. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. We have two sons; they loved the naturalist with her interesting stories of life in Alaska. There was antlers and animals skins from many different animals which the boys loved! We had a really nice afternoon and would recommend it to all age groups.

Visited July 2013
Perth, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Relaxing afternoon on the river with Mahays”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently did the 3 Rivers tour on a perfect sunny day with beautiful Mt McKinley in full view. All the staff were friendly and our captain was very professional - his love of the area really shone through. We were transported from town to the launching area in a bus then onto an enclosed boat which was warm and dry. The comentary from our driver was really interesting and the captains mate did a great job of taking us onto shore for a walk. We were given drinks and yummy cookies on the way back. We had a very enjoyable afternoon and would be happy to recommend Mahays to anyone.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Maudie56
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great staff, fun excursion”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

So everyone at Mahay's, from the shuttle driver to the lady taking tickets to the boat driver and the naturalist on the cruise were fabulous. They were universally friendly and they really seemed to care that the customers had a great time. The excursion itself (the Devil's Canyon tour) was four hours of pretty boring with 20 minutes of really exciting stuffed in the middle. In all fairness, the tour matched the description on the website, so i think i just picked the wrong tour for me. But I would do a different excursion with this company if I'm in Talkeetna again.

Visited September 2013