“Unexpected quality, great atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Rib Pub and Grill

West Rib Pub and Grill
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Talkeetna
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Casual lunch and dinner dining. Large deck overlooking central downtown. Bar and inside seating. Filled with Alaska memorabilia. Alaskan beers on Tap. FRESH Alaska seafood including Halibut, Pacific Salmon, Rock Snapper. Daily Special on Alaska Red King Crab. Great 1/2# Natural Angus Burgers. Housemade desserts and soups. Seafood chowder and Caribou chili made daily. Open late 7 days/week during summer.
SoCal
“Unexpected quality, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Talkeetna itself is a great find in an unlikely location, with many restaurants and shops to choose from. We only had an opportunity to stop here, at the West Rib (the name refers to a climbing route up Mt. McKinley). It's rustic, but the menu is large, with an emphasis more on meat than fish, although plenty of fish is available. On that topic,their steamed king crab is the best deal in all of Alaska. But try the caribou burger. If you are very adventurous, try the Seward's Folly, a gigantic burger made famous by Man vs. Food's Adam Richman. You may want to split it with someone.

Visited July 2014

Eagle River, AK
“Awful Service, Rude waiter/"manager"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

On August 1, 2014 I brought my family to Talkeetna and had wanted to go specifically to West Rib Pub for lunch. After 30 minutes my dad approached the host and asked if we had "done something wrong or sat in the wrong section" (we were seated by staff) since the 3 parties seated after us had been waited on and we yet had our drink order taken. A few minutes later we had someone at our table, he took our order on a napkin. By that time we were ready to order our lunch. I had made the mistake in talking up this restaurant which resulted in my family continuing to put up with this horrible service instead of trying one of the other places in town. It was another 25 minutes before we got our drinks and at that time the waiter asked if we had "two burgers" and we said, "no, we ordered 4 burgers and the caribou chili...plus the children's menu items" it was 26 minutes later when 2 of the burgers were served along with the children's items. After another 10 minutes the 3rd burger was served with the chili at the same time. Finally my family was nearly finished when I was served my burger, serves me right for recommending this place. My family was completely done and my kids were antsy and ready to move on and I just began to eat. At this point we were all upset and after we were all served. My dad asked to speak with management. The same waiter came over and said, "did you ask to speak with management? I'm kinda sorta the kitchen manager" the same guy who had given such rotten service was the person to talk to?!? He looked like a kid, and he spoke with so much arrogance and was just plain rude; why he asked what our "problem was" he wasn't aware of the amount of time we were there? He then offered 30% off our bill. My dad said, "you do what you feel is right, we would just like an explanation" there were open tables; it was not extremely busy or even very busy. It seemed like a typical day with an appropriate amount of staff. We ended up with the inept waiter. A staff member approached our table and said, "the woman at the bar or a mature Asian lady is the owner if you want to talk to someone who will do something." It seems to me that the staff was aware it was inappropriate and that waiter was definitely an issue. The family felt we addressed the issue, but I am posting this because the service was awful and the way it was handled was worse. I won't be recommending this restaurant and I won't be taking visiting family and friends there when they're in town.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Keenikwe
Cedar Springs, Michigan
“Unique Talkeetna experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

Enjoyed the unique opportunity to have lunch at West Rib. Stubbs made an appearance, and the food was enjoyable. Our waitress was attentive and ensured that everything was to our liking. Would recommend this place, it provides the ability to mix young and old patrons and everyone feels welcome.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Mark F
Gulf Breeze, Florida
“Small place but big taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Had the halibut plate with fries. The fish was very well cooked and fries were good.Also had a cup of carabou chili. The chili was very good but really couldn;t tell much difference from ground beef.

Visited June 2014
Davis, California
“Go for the halibut! (And the beer...)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

I loved the halibut chunks and chips, the best I had in Alaska. (Okay I only had it three times...) The beer (Ice Axe Ale) was great too.

Visited July 2014