“super--real alaska”

Talkeetna Roadhouse
Ranked #2 of 17 Talkeetna B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 12, 2013

All the positive reviews are true. It is like being in someone's home. Trish is wonderful-- a great hostess. Food is plentiful and good. Comfort food. The restaurant is loved by locals and visitors. The room is cozy. Share a nice bathroom with amenities. Even the conductor and the engineer on the train said it is the real Alaska. Trish, the owner knows everyone in town and knows the hours of all the activities. Free train pickup and drop off. She even helped the couple behind me order food from a nearby restaurant when train check-in was slow and they wouldn't be able to eat. She called a competing nearby restaurant and their meal was ready for pickup. They weren't even her guests. Yes, there is some noise from downstairs, but the restaurant closes at nine--in the summer no one is asleep before that. Cozy, friendly and complimentary coffee and tea. I am going back in August. Right in the center of town. One of best values in Alaska

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I made a room reservation with the assumption that my boyfriend and I would have a relaxing and a quiet place to rest over our Valentine's Day weekend. When I made the reservation, it was not mentioned to me that our room shared an extremely thin wall with the main lobby and was located next to the public showers and laundry machines. Hence I was not able to take a nap or sleep through the night even. Every time someone entered the establishment, I could hear the door slam from inside my room. "Quiet hours" in the lobby are from 10pm to 8 pm, which were not enforced, and I spent my night listening to an unruly toddler screaming and running up and down the hall past my room and the lobby. Furthermore, when my boyfriend and I each separately commented on the noise issue, the receptionist was unapologetic and made no attempt to remedy the situation besides offering us ear plugs. Last but not least, the bed was terribly saggy and creaky; offering no support but rather a morning backache. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband I stayed at the Talkeetna Roadhouse one night to help break up the drive to Denali. We were coming from Seward. From the guidebooks, Talkeetna sounded like a fun place and it was my favorite visit in all of Alaska. It just felt more authentic. I met lots of locals and got to talk to people from all over the world who were going to climb the summit. Everyone was so surprised to hear that were weren't on a cruise. Part of the reason why we liked it so much was the Roadhouse. It was just a fun communal spot to hang out. The food is delicious. I honestly have never been that impressed with pancakes but there sour dough pancakes were the best I've ever eaten. I still think about them. We stayed upstairs. Our room had 2 twin beds and a double bed so things were a bit cramped. But the price was reasonable and much cheaper than other accommodations. My only complaint was that the walls were thin and I heard everything. My neighbor woke me up in the morning. But I knew staying at a roadhouse that these things are the norm. I knew that I'd be hearing noises fairly early in the morning going in. If you are a light sleeper, I'd probably recommend somewhere else. We drove up the next day to Denali and on our way back to Anchorage, my husband and I went the 45 minutes out of our way to come back. We had to get some more food! I really loved the Roadhouse and definitely want to come back someday. It is not to be missed if you visit Alaska!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ana_belle03
Reviewed December 5, 2012

If you're going to stay in Talkeetna, I'd highly recommend the Roadhouse. The food is DELICIOUS, you can't beat the price and there's WAY more character here than at the big cruise company-owned lodges where all the tour buses go. We stayed in room#2, private queen bed with a vanity in the room. The rooms are small but the beds are comfy and warm. There are individual private showers down the hall that are shared between all the guests so if you need a shower in your room/suite this isn't the place for you, but we found this a minor inconvenience at best compared to the overwhelming charm of the place. Restaurant closes early in the evening and after breakfast things slow down considerably anyway so we never found noise from the dining room a problem when sleeping. There's free coffee, tea, and cookies for roadhouse guests all the time as well as a selection of loaner books and boardgames. This is really just a great place to hang out. Breakfast here is a must and the options are all delicious. You must try the sourdough pancakes, their pastries/baked goods are also unbelievable. We stayed here for one night on our way to Denali. We drove up from Anchorage in the morning, had breakfast at the roadhouse then did a flight-seeing tour of Denali with TAT, which I highly recommend. Stayed the night in the road-house that evening and then took cinnamon rolls to go the next morning when we headed up to the park. If you have the chacne to stay in Talkeetna, I highly recommend it. The town itself is loaded shops, and great places to eat. Way better than the tourist traps you'll find outside the Denali park entrance. It's about 2.5-3hrs from the park and about 4hrs from Anchorage so makes a logical stopping point and breaks up the long drive from Anchorage nicely. We stopped at the Roadhouse for breakfast AGAIN on our way back from Denali a few days later, the food is just that good! This was easily our favorite place we stayed on our whole two week Alaskan vacation.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gatorfan2008
Reviewed November 16, 2012

4 of us enjoyed our stay, cozy and clean. Great people and quaint town. Loved the atmosphere. The town has a lot of good shops and restaurants. Roadhouse has great food and a fantastic bakery. If we ever go back to Alaska we will surely be back to stay at the roadhouse

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fun040
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Undeniably the best place i have stayed while travelling. The owner is baker, driver, hotelier extrordinair! She is so kind and helpful. The pie making class is a must if you can. The rooms are cozy and comfortable. The food downstairs is to die for!! Loads of facilites like internet, phone use and laundry. Would love to go back!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louise e
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Trish the owner, needs to be saluted.
She does more than just a good job, her rooms are clean and the beds, after a long days walk, feels you snuggled down and floatinging away.Very Comfortable. Bath has hairdryer,coin laundromat, computer and printer for guests to use access to the internet.
Must do Pie Baking with her, even if you have lost the like of cooking, she brings back the fun, in pastery making.Food from the bakery is always fresh delicious and more than what can eat.
Easy access to all place in town,
They even collect you from the train if necessary.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo