“Great Place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Talkeetna Lakeside Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Talkeetna
Talkeetna Lakeside Cabins
Canada
“Great Place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2011. We had the Hill Top cabin, and Beaver Point. Both cabins were absolutely spotless with great amenities. I am not the outdoor type, so I chose the Hill Top with a regular toilet, and left my friend with the "burning" toilet, which was not a problem at all. Wayne was very accomodating to us, and the secluded location was great. BBQ's at each cabin and campfire facilities were perfect. I would highly recommend this place for peace and quiet, and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank grg1

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

My wife, daughter and I spent one night here between Anchorage and Denali. I was looking for a national park type cabin in the woods for one of our nights in Alaska and this was perfect. The cabin was very secluded on a lake a mile or so off the Talkeetna spur road. Close enough to go to Talkeetna for supper and our flight-see trip the next day, but not so close that we couldn't get away from everyone else. Internet was available with a supplied Ethernet cable and our cellphones worked fine. There are no signs, but our GPS led us right to it.

There are three cabins here: Beaver Point which we stayed in, Bird Cove and Hill Top. the first two are both in the woods on the lake. Hill Top is basically in the parking lot away from the lake. Our cabin was very large with a loft with a double bed for our daughter, a fully stocked kitchen, private bath, and queen size bed. The kitchen had everything, down to saran wrap, dish detergent and tooth picks. The only thing you need to bring is food. The toilet took some getting used to, but was not a major problem. They do not supply shampoo or soap for the shower.

The cabin sits on a lake with a small dock. A row boat is available for use. There is a nice porch and plenty of outdoor furniture. I wish we could have spent more time here.

There were a few negatives. If you are a "high maintenance" person, this is not for you. We had to carry our luggage from the parking area to the cabin because there is a gravel path on which our wheeled luggage would not roll. The toilet requires a liner to be inserted before use, then flushed into a container that burns the waste.

I was hesitant to stay here because I could not find any reviews prior to our stay, but we loved it.

Room Tip: Beaver Point and Bird Cove are the best locations
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Richbutnot
graybob, Owner at Talkeetna Lakeside Cabins, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Parking at Talkeetna Lakeside Cabins near the Hill Top cabin is at the side of the cabin at the end of the driveway so as not to conflict with other guests. Beaver Point and Bird Cove cabins are unique in their location as they were built in the 1980's and were not under the current zoning regulations, so they are walk in units. The Hill Top cabin is a year around cabin built in 2010 and subject to current zoning , access in the winter is part of the reason for it's location. It offers drive up access and a private deck on the other side of the unit with a view of the lake and grill facilities. I try to make all my guests happy and the acronim for Talkeetna Lakeside Cabins is TLC.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

Part of me wants to leave a bad review so that the cabins will always be available for the next time we can make the journey, but ..... that wouldnt be true. The place was an absolute slice of alaskan heaven.

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon and the cabins were exactly what we were looking for. We wanted a private cabin, but with the amenities like running water, electricity, kitchenette, etc. All were included. We also wanted something away from the hectic towns/roads but not so secluded we'd need to drive an hour to get supplies. Again, perfect location. The beautiful historic town of Talkeetna is just 15minutes away, with many adventures waiting, as well as many restaurants. The grocery store was about 5mins away just before the Talkeetna Junction Rd split from the Parks Highway. Also on the opposite corner, there was a Tesoro gas station/mini mart/liquor store/Subway restaurant. It took us about 2 hours give or take to get there from Anchorage Airport with about 10miles of construction on the highway slowing us down. The Denali National Park is about 3hours away from what I was told. However we didn't stop there, instead choosing to venture in the Denali State Park which was only about an hour away. Check out Byers Lake trail for nice views, hiking, and possible sightings. We were too early but was told of a good spot to view bears when salmon run.

Now the cabin and area themselves were perfect to just relax and enjoy nature if you choose not to wander. We stayed at Beaver Point cabin for a week and were perfectly content spending many hours sitting on the front porch which sat about 50ft from the quiet lake. Birch trees and pine trees surrounded the area but nice views of the lake were still abundant. The area was quiet with the occasional sound of a car going down the road. No sirens, no bass boxes, no people screaming/swearing at each other. Yea you can hear the occasional plane buzz by or the occasional train but 95% of our time spent on the porch consisted of us listening to the birds. There were Artic Terns (which I was told were there on a brief migration), loons, robins, mallards, and a number of other birds unfamiliar to me. We also caught glimpses of an otter than came out around sunset. It took us 3 days to get a good picture of him. Bed was comfortable, the kitchen functional, toilet was different being a waste burning toilet, but no problems. The shower had good pressure and amount of hot water. No television, minimal phone service, and no internet. I was informed he was working on the internet aspect tho. For us, thats part of why we came to Alaska to begin with, to get away from our hectic lives in New York. No phone, no TV, no problem :) You will get phone service in Talkeetna with 3G service as well. The owner Wayne, was very friendly and helpful. Will work around your schedule in regards to cleaning while keeping your privacy in mind.

Can't stress any more how wonderful of a place this was. If you're looking for a place of privacy, peace, while still enjoying some comforts of home then this is the place. A lodge it is not, but if you're considering staying in a cabin, you're probably not looking for a lodge anyway :) Would love to return and will recommend this to many friends and anyone that would be interested. Oh, and your GPS will get you there. :)

I included a couple pictures. One shows the view off the front of the porch. and the other is a view of the lake/dock just off the side of the cabin about 75feet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple