“Hilltop Local”

Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Talkeetna
Cuisines: Pizza, Cafe, American, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Stop in for a visit at Flying Squirrel, a unique cafe with creative deli-style menu and artisan breads baked in a wood-fired brick oven. Something for everyone: vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and meat-lovers, too, organic Alaska-roasted espresso, free WIFI. Wood fired pizza on weekend evenings. Three miles from Talkeetna - no tour bus crowds, trees out the windows, open year round.
Talkeetna
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hilltop Local”
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Visit the Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe for quality food served in a welcoming environment. Try their artisan breads, wood-oven baked pizzas, fresh salads or delicious desserts. Every time I visit, there is something new to try. Creative, healthy cooking. I just love the Squirrel!

1 Thank HilltopLocal

Talkeetna, Alaska
“Delicious, healthy, creative food.”
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I live here in Talkeetna and I'm so incredibly happy that the Flying Squirrel opened recently. I eat there frequently because I love both the baked goods and the savory foods. The fare is healthy without being "too healthy", and you never know quite what they'll have available when you walk in. (The menu changes daily.) Yesterday I had a roasted vegetable and feta cheese pita, and the whole wheat pita bread was made right there in their wood-fired brick oven that day. I think it cost 6 or 7 dollars. A healthy, filling lunch. Okay, I admit I spent an extra buck on a rugelach, which is an Eastern European pastry, cream cheese in the dough, and filled with cinnamon, nuts, raisins, and a little sugar. Sooooo yummy with my coffee!

The Flying Squirrel is 3 miles OUT of the downtown area on the Spur Rd, which is wonderful for avoiding the summer "Disneyland-like" crowds. Us locals are pretty psyched to have a place with reasonably priced delicious foods that we can ride a bike to. (Which, by the way, means you get a 5 percent discount, if you arrive by non-motorized means, or bring your own to-go container.)

The atmosphere is bright and colorful, with new art shows on the walls each month. And there's a nice little trail on which you can ski to a pretty lake nearby. (I wonder if it will be open for hiking in the summer?)

They do have some nice beer and wine available, too. And the wood-fired pizzas on Thurs and Fri are to die for! They list their weekly (changing) pizza menu on their website.

They use as many organic ingredients as possible, including the flour used in baking and all the coffee. I highly recommend the Flying Squirrel if you are looking for healthy, delicious food in Talkeetna, Alaska.

2 Thank TalkeetnaCabinGirl