“Felt like home.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Talkeetna
House of Seven Trees
Ranked #8 of 17 Talkeetna B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Felt like home.”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Mrs Pat McGee does a really amazing job here. The whole place had a very relaxed atmosphere, felt so warm and welcoming. Like a wise granny, she's very knowledgeable and compassionate. Her awesome friends and other guest treated me the same too! Good vibes!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 28Jeffrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The house of 7 trees was the best experience I enjoyed during my short stay in Talkeetna. Miss Pat, her faithful companion Mac and all her friends treated me as though I had been a lifelong friend, which I now am. The house was comfortable and the flower borders were incredible. I have so many memories that will last a lifetime all due to the hospitality of Miss Pat and the lost art of hostel lodging.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank sjk911mjk
Lamoille, NV
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I ended up at the House of Seven Trees quite by accident... and a lucky accident it was. I'd messed up my reservation elsewhere in Talkeetna, and the other place recommended I give Pat a call for a room. I'm glad they did, and I ended up staying there both before and after my attempt on Denali.

The house is beautiful, with small clean rooms and comfortable beds that feature beautiful hand-made (I'm assuming) quilts. There's a big kitchen and living room on the main floor, along with a couple of shared bathrooms and a washer/dryer you can use for a small fee. I didn't check out the bunkhouse in the back so can't tell you what's going on there. The deck and yard are absolutely lovely. It likely is the prettiest place in town. It's right in the middle of downtown, which puts it within stumbling distance of the Fairview and across the street from the Roadhouse.

The owner, Pat, has little sticky notes all over the place, which are pretty entertaining but which impart important information to the traveling public. When the sticky note says "knock first," then knock. Her guard dog Mac knows his business... he's gentle as a big slobbery kitten when Pat says you're OK but is more than a little intimidating when he's in guard dog mode. I made the mistake of not knocking once... only once, with a not-so-subtle reminder from Mac. Once I'd been given Pat's approval, though, he couldn't get (or give) enough affection. Great dog.

The owner is a fount of local information and genuinely likes having climbers as guests. She has done a lot of Alaska living in her time, and the more you talk with her the more interesting she gets.

Overall, it was an excellent experience and I'd gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Pat doesn't take credit cards so be prepared to pay cash.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mountaingirl1961
Ashley
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We were part of a large group and Pat made us all feel comfortable and that we were family. Rooms were clean and well kept and we love Mac, her dog. She was very interested in our trip and our expedition and went out of her way to ensure we were aware of some interesting places to see. If I have a regret it is that I cannot play the piano, since there is one in the living room. At the end of each day, it was like we were coming home. Getting to know Pat was a special treat since she has lived a very interesting life and can share many stories of her youth and growing up. The two weeks we were there were a treasure for all of us. Insofar as people having pets, yep, there is already Mac, so I do not think other pets are allowed...but that is not a problem. People ought to call ahead to check before they show up with their pets in such a small village, anyway and expect to be accomodated. The one exchange regarding a pet that I saw was that Pat nicely told a couple with a dog that, while she did not take pets, there was another hostel in town that could take them. No problem. Pat did a great deal for us and we recommend House of Seven Trees without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was the highlight of our trip to Talkeetna, AK. Staying with Pat is like staying with a local so she knows the are well and has the best stories of those that stay at her hostel, especially climbers. She has opened up her home, so the place is really cozy and feels so comfortable. The House of 7 Trees is right in the middle of downtown Talkeetna, so no car is needed if you take the train. We loved it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed here before our Denali climb and wished we could have come back after. The bunk house is minimalistic, but the location is great and the accommodation is comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is the best place to stay in Talkeetna as far as I'm concerned. Pat and Mac her four legged companion provide an amazing, comfortable, warm and welcoming place to stay. After staying in the Alaska Range for eleven days + I was so thankful for her great hot showers! And she is one of the few places in town that has showers that can accomodate wheelchair users. As far as tour guides she is one of the best. And if you're looking for in town Talkeetna places to stay she is right in the middle of things! I would highly suggest staying with Pat at the House of Seven Trees on your next visit to Talkeetna. Along with Pat, the people you meet will be a highlight of your trip!

Room Tip: If you're just looking for a bunk ask for the bunkhouse, if you want a room, stay in the house!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends