Meandering Moose Lodging(Talkeetna)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 07/25
$145
$219
$170
$155
Dave Fish Alaska Lodging(Talkeetna)(Great Value!)
$95
All reviewsthe main streetthe ownercomfortable roomcharming townstayed one nightshort walkfrigrenovatedbathroompam
Reviewed August 26, 2017

I have just stayed one night at the Talkeetna Motel and I have been impressed by the efforts made by the owners to make guests feel welcome and comfortable. Pam, my hostess, could not do enough to make me comfortable, from collecting me from the train, giving me information about the charming town of Talkeetna and giving me support when I had difficulties with my train ticket.
Pam's warm welcome was reinforced by the comfortable room with its microwave, coffee machine and frig. The rooms have been freshly renovated and everything is spotlessly clean. I was sorry that I was only staying one night. The motel is centrally located near many shops and facilities. Reasonably priced and highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2017

We stayed at The Talkeetna Motel in July 2017. We wanted to stay within walking distance from the main street, and it was the only hotel in the heart of Talkeetna that had rooms available. The reason they had rooms available was because they're not really on any google search. I found them from google maps. Anyway, they have no website. I don't have a problem with businesses that don't use modern technology. Actually, this can be somewhat refreshing. What I did have a MAJOR problem with was that the owner refused to give me a written confirmation after I had booked the room and had given my credit card number. I told him I'd feel much more comfortable with any sort of confirmation, and he just made up numbers on the spot and hung up on me. It freaked me out. I thought I'd been hacked. I called the Chamber of Commerce, and surrounding hotels to check on the validity of this place. They just said he was a very old man, sometimes grumpy, but it was a valid place. Phew!

When we arrived at the hotel (from North Carolina) in the late afternoon, we went to a dingy dark bar filled with cigarette smoke. Three men sat at the bar. The old man (who was a bartender) ignored us and served the drinks to each man, one by one. We stood there politely. I was terrified he wouldn't give us our room. This man scared me. It seemed that he enjoyed making us suffer. So we just stood there saying nothing as the old man asked one of the drinkers how his mother was doing, and if he milked any cows lately. Well... maybe the conversation wasn't exactly about cows...

Anyway, after the old man had established that he was in complete control, he mosy-ed on over to us and mumbled something. My heart was pounding and I was very angry he was putting us through this. I said, "We booked some rooms?" He mumbled something inaudible, then went to the back room. We looked at each other. We had no idea what he said or where he was going. The 3 guys sitting on the bar stools were pleasant enough. They laughed at the situation. I guess at this point, all you could do was laugh.

After 15 minutes of having my blood pressure reach 200 over 199, his wife came out. She was more pleasant. We signed the receipt and had to sign that we wouldn't have any parties or move the furniture or smoke in the room. That was ironic about cigarette smoke, because I can't stand cigarette smoke and was in need of a shower due to the smokey bar we were forced to stay in.

The wife showed us to our room. It was pleasant enough... clean... small... it would do. It certainly wasn't worth the $170 a night that we payed, but I didn't really care, because the location was excellent, and it was clean. I understand from reviews that other people paid a lot less. Oh well.

The wife rattled out about a dozen points we should take note of, but I couldn't process it all that fast. We had just traveled from North Carolina. Nothing was in writing. She mentioned a bunch of restaurants and rules, but I needed pen and paper to take notes.

The bed was too close to the wall for me to get to the lamp, but I was afraid to move the bed because one of her rules was not to move any of the furniture. I had to crawl over the bed to get to the lamp.

We stayed 4 nights. I think we were the only guests in the whole place. The wife changed our bed sheets and towels every day and kept the place neat and clean. However, we had no idea how to reach her. No phone number. No office. I guess you had to go to the bar, but she didn't hang out there. And we're not really bar people.

When I stay in a hotel, I treat it like my home... I use coasters, I don't get crumbs on the floor, etc. I take it from the rules she imposed that others had mistreated the place. That's unfortunate.

The "free" WiFi rarely worked. We could never get a signal.

Anyway, I debated giving this place 3 stars, but I dropped it down to 2 stars because that old man was so rude. He really should have given us a confirmation, and he should have acknowledged our existence in the bar. But do know the place was clean and the location is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2017

This was a great little place. Totally remodeled bathrooms with adorable bedding in the room. Mini frigde along with micro wave. The current owners are so pleasant and accomodating! They were a wealth of info on the history of Talkeetna and the motel itself. Simon our bartender was a hoot with even more info on the area along with times to finds the best deals for glacier flights and whantnot. I wish we had been able to sepnd more than one night there. The bar is totally 60's vibe even though they have tried to update. It really is a cool little place - so don't miss out! Would DEFINITELY go back!

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2017

The rooms are updated and have little extras that made it so enjoyable to stay there. Owners were always helpful--e.g., lent us lawn chairs for a community concert one evening. Located a block from fantastic view of Mt. Denali! Saw northern lights from our room.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lammac
Reviewed July 4, 2016

Was here in 2014 came back, Enjoyed then and also now. Nice room, clean and quite. They had done some work on rooms sense we were there. They had a towel rack beside sink and plenty of places to hang your clothes. Had microwave, frig. Coffee pot & TV. I took pictures to share.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple