“One word . . . LAME”

Talkeetna Sundog Kennel
Ranked #14 of 26 Tours in Talkeetna
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Imagine the thrill of riding in a jeep behind a team of dogs. I wasn't sure if the dogs were running away from the jeep or if they actually thought thy were pulling the jeep but either way it was pretty lame. Want to make it better? Have the jeep driven by a champion Iditarod musher who will answer every question you have with a single word. Amazing!! Ask him how fast you're going and he doesn't even have to answer. Since he's a pro he can take one of his hands off the wheel and point to the speedometer. That was a thrill.
After your heart starts beating again from all the excitement you're herded into a cabin to hear a lecture on what it's like to run the Iditarod. That part was interesting.
Then you get to see puppies. How can that be bad? Well, you paid $75.00 per person that's how.
My advice. Chase a dog in your car, read Wikipedia about the Iditarod then go to a kennel and play with puppies.

1  Thank JayNT
"bred"
"ride"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you like an overpriced tour, riding in a crowded bus watching dogs pull an ATV, and having your kids told they need to "shut up or they won't get to see the puppies" this is the tour for you.

It was a terrible experience which my kids left crying. The owner is a grouchy and apparently doesn't like giving tours.

When I told the Princess Tours Desk about the experience they said they have received numerous similar complaints.

I believe in karma as I wish them luck in getting lost in next years race.

4  Thank FuninAk
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We experienced exposure to about 4 kennel tours and this was the very best. This couple works night and day doing fishing trips, running a restaurant and the kennel tours. I would say this is a real life kennel and the experience was great. They explained all about the training all year long, preparing for the ride and the end. Then we went on a tour of the kennel and had a ride. Their fishing charter is a must. We caught a silver salmon and went back there where they prepared it and served us dinner outside. It was the highlight of our trip The sides were as good as the salmon. This was one of the most memorable days of our 10 days in Alaska.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We learned a great deal about the Iditarod race and what it takes to prepare for it. The owners are very informative, but it's evident they're conducting the tours to underwrite their kennel operation, rather than for the interaction with tourists. We enjoyed riding along on the training run, but the stars of the show are still the puppies!

1  Thank Steelaway81
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

It is so difficult to interpret humour in a stranger in a short period but Jerry has a very dry sense of humour that could be easily misinterpreted. Personally, I loved it. I could also understand why some might judge the handling of the dogs as harsh. These are not some show dogs for the rich and famous. These are dogs bred and trained for the most gruelling race in the world. The way they were taken to the ATV rope was explained well. And as another reviewer indicated, they certainly love their owners but much more importantly, respect them. Watching how Jerry treated each as an individual was so easy to see the love he has for them too. How someone could miss the excitement and joy in the dogs that were picked to "race" shows how judgmental some folks are. Maybe previous reviewers thought they would be visiting pets and went to see a "show".
I was in the back of the ATV and yes it was a bit scary and I could see how someone could be thrown. A waiver was signed and there was a chance to sit in the ATV.
The $75 was a bit high but again, it was explained that a portion went to his entrance fee to the Iditaride. My best friend went with us and he would likely rate it at a 3/10. I was on the same tour and would give it an 8. He is cynical with most things and would side with the poorer ratings. I rated this as very good, would recommend it, and do it again.
Yes, Kathleen could work on her people skills but some folks just like getting treated like princesses I guess. Kathleen has little respect for the princesses among us. My DW and I had a great time as did our 20-something daughter and son-in-law. As always, it is your own attitude and ability to see the big picture that creates your opinion. I loved this tour and it delivered what it claimed it would.
Thanks Jerry , we Canadians rock, eh!

2  Thank sunshine441