“Up close and personal with the mountain”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of K2 Aviation

and up
Denali Experience Flightseeing Tour
Ranked #2 of 25 Tours in Talkeetna
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the wonders of Alaska and Denali National Park, and gain a new appreciation for our state's size and rugged beauty. Our location in Talkeetna provides an excellent launching point for your explorations of Denali, the Alaska Range, and Denali National Park. The K2 Aviation staff is committed to ensuring that you have the best possible experience on your flightseeing tour. Come fly with us!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Denver
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Up close and personal with the mountain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Awesome experience with K2 Aviation. We booked this through Princess Cruises. We were only in Talkeetna for a short time and did not have time for a glacier landing, but the flight itself was well worth the experience. Views were awesome, sunny blue skies. Definitely the highlight of our time in Denali. And Mt. McKinley happened to be out in all its glory. Couldn't have been a better day.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank FRDENVER

Eagle River, Alaska, United States
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Alaskans lost K2”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I took a great trip with k2 aviation several years ago with some friends visiting Alaska and we had a great time even though the weather was marginal and they gave us an option to keep the reservation or schedule another day. Since Denali is normally only visible from the ground 30% of the time it was a great trip to see Denali and all the surrounding glaciers plus we landed on the Glacier. They fly out of the nice town of Talkeetna, over from hour from anchorage. As a local Alaskan I would definitely fly K2 again.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Gary S
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I highly recommend this company and their glacier landing tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

This tour company was wonderful-very professional, the planes look new, they were very stable, the pilot was excellent in his skill and descriptions of what we were seeing. Of 10 full days in Alaska-this was my favorite activity. The scenery is unforgettable.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Debby01
Morristown, New Jersey
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked the Denali Grand Tour with glacier landing 5 months before our September trip. I booked it for the afternoon we arrived in Talkeetna so that we had 2 back-up days in case the weather prevented us from going. This was a good move as our first day was solid clouds and rain. We rescheduled for the next day and the weather cleared up enough for us to go, but not enough to do the tour we wanted or to do a landing. The tour we took was less expensive than what we booked so we were only charged for the difference. However, it seemed that everyone was charged a different rate, and walk-ins got the best rate. We paid more because we booked in advance. When we asked them about it we were told pretty much that this is the way it is. It did not leave me with a positive feeling.

The ride itself was full of beautiful scenery. We were there when the leaves were turning so the landscape was full of bright yellows and the dark green of the pine trees. Our plane looked brand new and to be full of the latest technology. We had the seats by the wing supports, so we could only get a clear view front and back, not straight out. I was on the right side. It seemed that all the scenery being described, and our main approach to Mt. McKinley was on the left. The pilot's voice was a little monotone so I stopped listening after awhile since he was mainly describing views to the left. The plane eventually turned so the right could see, but the narration was minimal so I really didn't know what I was looking at. I'm sure I saw Mt. McKinley, but I had no idea at all which peak it was.

All in all, I would recommend taking one of these tours as the scenery is really spectacular, but if I go again I will book with someone else.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank EWR-NJ-traveler
West Bloomfield, Michigan
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fantastic glacier landing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

CHEAPER IF BOOKED DIRECTLY, but if there are scheduling problems with your cruise line and you're late, it's better to have booked thru the cruise line. There is an option especially to book tours the day you disembark the ship.
The Princess hotel is 50 MILES from Talkeetna. We got off the ship, took a 4.5 hour train to Talkeetna, did a glacier landing flight, then a one hour bus ride to the McKinley Lodge. We were glad we took a flight the same day while in Talkeetna. We had to spend an hour on a bus the next day (each direction) to take our second flight to circle McKinley.
Book early for the time you want. Our train was to arrive at 12:15, but arrived about an hour late, so I was glad our flight wasn't until 3 pm. (This is also why I'm glad I booked thru Princess. The cost was higher, but we didn't have to worry about the time because it was the cruise line's fault if we were late.) The clouds cleared just in time for our glacier landing, too. If we'd booked earlier, we wouldn't have been able to land. I checked online before we left home and by then, then next available tours were after 6 pm, so I was glad I booked ahead. You may not want to spend five hours in Talkeetna unless you had another tour planned. It's a small town and there isn't that much to see or do unless you're hiking or taking a tour. You won't spend hours shopping like you would in a larger town. Most Alaskan stores have pretty much the same things, anyway.

Some staff is not that knowledgeable and pilots are (understandably) seasonal- I caught ours lowering the visor for tips on landing the plane at the end of one of our flights.
The pilots give commentary, but also have to stay in constant contact with the ground and each other for safety reasons. There are a few planes in the air and you want your pilot concentrating on safety, not on some bratty kid kicking his seat or irritating passengers who don't shut up.

We took two flights- Glacier Landing and the flight around McKinley summit.
Honestly, the glacier landing was much more interesting. Two planes landed within minutes of each other and we were the first landings in five days, so you may not get to land if it's too cloudy. They said it isn't safe to take off again if it's cloudy above. The pilots are in constant radio contact, though, so they know the location of each plane to prevent accidents. We spent our time looking at the glaciers, mountains, etc. The glaciers have amazing turquoise pools of water and the landscape is a myriad of colors you wouldn't believe. When on the glacier, you can hear a river of water rushing beneath. It was amazing.

The flight around McKinley the next day was novel, but somewhat boring after seeing the glaciers and colorful landscape the day before. You go out to the mountain, circle around and around, then back to the airport. My husband's window fogged, so he didn't see much of anything. (Two rows behind the pilot.) The pilot repeatedly tilts the plane in each direction so both sides can see. My husband was very disappointed in his flight and took only a couple of pictures because he couldn't see anything His pictures were out the window on the OTHER side of the plane and that passenger had her oxygen tubing over the window. For the cost, I feel badly for him, but my flight was good, just a little boring after the first few minutes at the summit.
Take the Glacier Landing Tour. You won't be disappointed even if you don't land. There is a price adjustment or longer flight if you can't land.
I loved our pilot- Rich:)

Visited August 2013