“A wonderful way to see this glacier”

Matanuska Glacier Adventures
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Going with Matanuska Glacier Adventures was a great choice for us. They are the same group you pay the access fee to, and were able to offer a private 3 hour trekking tour for a better price than any other group around. But the main reason we were glad to go with them was that it was a private tour and though our guide Sam was very informative he spent most of his time showing us some of the best features of the glacier itself (infinitely preferable to not walking as far and listening to more facts). I do believe we trekked further and higher into the glacier than any other group I saw that day, and I can easily say that those groups missed out on a lot! He was also very careful about checking how comfortable we were going to certain spots, kept a good pace for all of us and very faithfully fulfilled his second duty as our group photographer (thanks Sam!). A highly recommended company to go with!

This is perhaps an obvious thing to everyone but me, but there's water everywhere (coming out of the glacier wall, running underneath the glacier and coming out in little pools, carving out little channels), so bring waterproof shoes or an extra pair of socks to change into after.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 33 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We turned up to the Matanuska Glacier unsure what we wanted to do with our time there. We went with a bit of a mixed group as far as fitness and ability is concerned but we wanted everyone to get the most out of the experience. There was an option to walk on your own or take a guided trek. We decided on a trek and were assigned our guide, Kathleen. We couldn't have made a better decision. I can't even begin to describe the feeling of being on top of this beauty so I wont even try. Instead, I'll focus on the tour itself.

The tours provided by Matanuska Glacier Adventures are personalised, meaning there is no one else on your trek so you can take things as fast or slow as you need and everything is tailored to suit the degree of difficulty appropriate for the group. Kathleen was fantastic. She took us all the way to the peak and was so patient with the slower members of the group. She was full of interesting information and gave very clear directions as to where and how to step and approach each climb. Everywhere you look on this glacier is just magic.

We were a little reluctant to book the trek, thinking that a self-guided walk out to the rim may suit the less experienced members of the group better. I'm so glad we made the decision to book the trek. You see so much more and get a great sense of achievement when it's all done. Equipment is all provided, including crampons, helmets, and if needed, walking sticks. The guide carves out little steps in the snow when necessary so you feel very safe every step of the way. We checked out a few other tour groups in the area but this one offered, by far, the best options (especially for beginners). Just turn up to the Glacier at Milepost 102, follow the road to the bottom and go into the gift shop/tourist information for information on how to book.

We are 5 weeks into a 6 week holiday. We have done and seen some pretty awesome things - this have been the highlight so far. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Brooke O
Reviewed March 17, 2014

3 friends and I booked the glacier hike tour with Matanuska Glacier Adventures and it was one of the most fun parts of our trip. Jasmine was our guide and she is a splendid job. I was a klutz with crampons but she was a very good sport and did her best to help me learn (how to walk with crampons). The whole experience was a lot of fun and the glacier views were mesmerizing. If I go again, I would carry a bag to bring back some of the glacier soil which is supposed to be great for the skin.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited this Glacier last May and we enjoyed a lot. The only thing I did not know is that the glacier is very far from the parking lot; thus, prepare your self to walk, at least for 20 minutes. Remember this is not a regular walking on a sidewalk; this is walking over a mountain of ice with thousand of rocks. Finally, we enjoyed our time there. We took a lot of pictures and played with some ice rocks. Ohhh I almost forgot something: THERE IS NO RESTROOM IN THIS ACTIVITY!!!

3  Thank Tuato