“Wonderful Lodge, Wonderful Host.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Matanuska Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sutton
Matanuska Lodge
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful Lodge, Wonderful Host.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few nights in the middle of a multiday Alaska trip. We loved it! The Lodge is lovely, accented with a lot of charming whimsical touches. The rooms are plush - I wanted to take the bed home with me. The food prepared by the host/owner Brenda is delicious. The hot tub is a great treat after a day of trekking the Matanuska Glacier or any of the local hiking trails, really. It was definitely our favorite lodging of our entire Alaska trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Traveling through Alaska over a period of three weeks we spent many nights in different bed and breakfasts. From Denali to Valdez and then from Kennicott to Anchorage, we found ourselves longing to return to the lodge. The natural beauty of this area is comparable if not better than any of the places we visited.
From the moment we drove up the driveway we knew we had found heaven on earth. Brenda greeted us personally as if we were family. The accommodations equal any five star hotel throughout the world. Anything one wishes to do can be found at the Matanuska Lodge. The ammenities include a game room with a pool table, a fully equipped exercise room, a sauna,hot tub and a movie area. Although we utilized these facilities more than often we were sitting on the deck with a camera in hand taking pictures of the gorgeous mountains, the crystal clear lake and the moose.
And to top all of this off, the breakfasts exceeded our wildest dreams. This is not just you run of the mill place, if you miss it your trip will not be complete. We intend to base our travels out of here again next year!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

My friend and I spent a night in the Matanuska Lodge this past July. After having been living in rather rough quarters for a while the lodge seemed like a slice of heaven. Brenda. the owner, is incredibly accommodating, not to mention a fabulous cook! Everything you need for a relaxing evening and day is there--there is a lake in the back with boats to float under a never quite dark Alaskan sky, a full bar, a hot tub and more. She also knows the best things to do in the area and was quick to make great recommendations. We could not have asked for a better stay--definitely a must if you are in the area!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We started planning a special getaway for our 40th anniversary almost two years in advance of the date because we wanted a unique destination to renew our vows... Matanuska Lodge fulfilled all our wishes for a memorable setting, complete with spectacular views, superb accommodations, thoughtful extra touches for our renewal ceremony, and moose visits every morning and evening during our stay. The quiet seclusion of the lodge did not hinder easy access to other places to visit during our stay, but we could always return to the lodge for comfort and "pampering extraordinaire" after our excursions!! ENJOY YOUR STAY AT THIS UNIQUE ACCOMMODATION...

Jan and Doug, Charleston, SC

Room Tip: We loved the room looking out toward the Matnuska Glacier, but the room looking toward the lake was...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed for 1 night at Matanuska lodge during March'12 and awestruck by the decor inside the lodge, hospitality of Dianne and the natural beauty of the surroundings. Dianne is a very welcoming hostess and explains everything to the minutest details. She was also very accommodating in allowing me to stay for a few hours past the normal checkout time. She also cooked a sumptuous breakfast at the beginning of the day and a heart dinner (at a very reasonable additional cost) during my stay.

The view from my room was stunning and the room was immaculately decorated to the finest. There is also a hot tub outside which I enjoyed in the evening. The lodge also has a spacious living room, TV room, etc for the guests too use.

My main regret is that my stay was really a short one and I look forward to a much longer stay in near future. I feel like I can enjoy a full week by hiking along the trails, seeing the glacier nearby and enjoying the warmth and hospitality of Dianne and Brenda in the lodge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PrasunChoudhury
Brenda_Goldberg, Owner at Matanuska Lodge, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Am very happy that you had such a positive experience.We really want our guests to feel at home without any of the responsibilities...we love to spoil you
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I wanted to take my husband somewhere unique, a change from the standard Alyeska or Anchorage hotels, for a birthday surprise. We were both so very pleasantly surprised I felt like it was my birthday too! Dianne was the most gracious host preparing a delicious steak dinner complete with apple pie.

After dinner we enjoyed the outdoor hot tub and finished the evening relaxing by the fire in our room. The home is beautiful, but it's the special little touches Dianne and Brenda add that set Matanuska Lodge apart. From the luxury bathrobes, to the locally produced bottled water, to the funky decor and Godiva chocolates, we truly felt pampered! Breakfast was phenomenal and Dianne made sure there wasn't anything missing. We have five kids and couldn't be away for more than a day, but this was absolutely the perfect getaway. Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank GinaW-AK
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Matanuska Lodge is wonderful for visitors from out of state and also for local Alaska residents! My husband and I enjoyed the hot tub, sauna, a beautiful room with fireplace. The dinner was delicious. We went for a paddle boat ride in the pond and just had a BLAST together. Great location for a couple getaway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Matanuska Lodge? Share your experiences!