“Excellent Hotel, Island experience !!”

Yap Pacific Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Traders Ridge is a colonial style hotel with great views and surrounding lush gardens. A very nice pool. The friendliest, personal staff you can possibly imagine, a true luxury experience. The food was very good, service was excellent. The dive operators were great and much less crowded than the competitor, Manta Ray. A much better place to stay for a nice experience. The Manta Ray looked ok, but was a crowded, typical dive hotel, with less than personalized service. I highly recommend your stay, as you will enjoy it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank traveldog95
There are newer reviews for Yap Pacific Dive Resort

Reviewed May 9, 2010

This is a very special property. From discussions with the staff, it seems that it was built by a wealthy gentleman from California who fell in love with Yap. The property has been built with a passion and does a good job of taking care of guests while giving back to the community. The owner passed away and it appear that the property will soon change management; however, at the moment, the owner's own attention to detail and vision for the property still seem to be well in tact.

Traders' Ridge is not a 5 star in the traditional sense. Rooms are basic and service is relaxed; however, this is a truly unique property and it would be a shame not to stay here if you visit Yap.

The best things about the property are:

- attractive Victorian architecture. Not Yapese per se but respectful of the local history
- lovely views from both restaurants and from the balconies attached to the lagoon-side rooms
- incredibly friendly, flexible and service oriented staff
- excellent location overlooking Chamorro lagoon
- high quality food and beverage, including many comfort foods from the US (i.e., local fish but quesadillas, pasta, etc. as well)
- attractive pool area and high quality dive center
- private lounge for guests at the airport -- gives you a chance to sleep an extra hour or so before catching that late night / early morning departure

I was impressed from the moment we arrived. Our flight landed at just past 3 a.m. When we arrived at the hotel we were handed our keys and told 1) not to worry about check in that we could deal with it in the morning and that 2) diving would start whenever we were ready so it was okay to sleep in. Entirely unexpected but very thoughtful and reflective of the service mentality throughout our stay. Service is attentive and friendly. Very easy to feel at home here.

The dive center was also high quality. Equipment was a bit old but the staff were friendly, professional and safety conscious. The craft village just below the pool is a nice touch -- it provides an outlet for local craftsmen without seeming tacky or contrived.

If you plan to visit, be aware that the Super Typhoon that hit a few years back has made some of the recommendations in the older guidebooks less relevant. The island seems to have made a nice come back but some of the recommended villages in our Lonely Planet didn't seem to survive the storm very well. The Bechiyal cultural center is no longer in existence; however, the Men's House and beach in Bechiyal are still quite beautiful.

If you need a break from the hotel restaurant, a good option is the Oasis Restaurant which is right across from the Manta Ray Bay Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Japan_Gaijin
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Visited Yap with a friend who is a certified scuba diver. We stayed three nights at Traders' Ridge. It is probably the most expensive of the lodging options on Yap, but it is also the most upscale and offers great atmosphere and friendly service. We were met at the airport by two employees who brought us to the hotel, about five minutes away. Upon arrival, staff in the lobby welcomed us with cold juice and cold washcloths. We were given our keys, and the staff had already delivered our luggage to our room.

The room is furnished with locally-handcrafted furniture -- it was beautiful, even if sometimes a door/drawer might stick. We reserved a veranda ocean room, and the balcony had an amazing view of Chamorro Bay and the ocean beyond. The room contained two comfortable twin beds. The room has an air conditioning unit that is controlled via remote control -- it took a little practice to figure out how it works, but it was efficient.

The resort has a dive shop on premises, and my friend went scuba diving two days -- he was very pleased with his dives. The hotel has a small pool among a beautifully landscaped setting, and the on-site restaurant has a large and reasonably-priced menu. (Portions were huge!) The dive shop also has mountain bikes available to guests, which we used twice. The roads are in good condition (even the unpaved ones), but some of the hills can be challenging.

The hotel has a "business center" that consists of one computer, and free wireless Internet in the lobby -- but it was never working when I tried it. I bought a calling card for the local telecomm company (available from the hotel's front desk) which allowed me to get online with my laptop.

The staff was extremely friendly, if at times somewhat timid. But they would always help you with anything you needed. One highlight: try the betel nut martini at the bar, and the servers will tell you a lot about Yapese culture and will prepare betel nut that you can chew (quite a sensation!).

I had also considered staying at the nearby Manta Ray hotel. We had dinner there one night, and saw some of the hotel. Manta Ray's facilities appear modern yet don't have the unique charm that Traders' Ridge offers. I was pleased that I chose Traders' Ridge.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank pennmike1997
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Beautiful hotel, wonderful amenities, genuinely friendly staff. I loved my stay there. And I love Yap.

Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank jtr0y92
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The natives of Yap originally used stone wheels for money. the value of each wheel was established by the difficulty in getting the stone to the island. With that in mind, I'd have to say not much has changed. yap is a very long way from the beaten path. It's to the south west of Guam, towards the Philippines, and 70 years ago. Luckily there exists on this speck of island a resort called Trader's Ridge. Run by Doug and Kristina, this resort offers a very quiet retreat to recharge your batteries. if you're interested in what Micronesia looked like years ago - pay them a visit. Just don't be in a hurry to get there as it's quite an interesting, long flight.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This was the second time I stayed at this hotel, and I just love it! I asked for a wake-up-call but it was a wake-up-knock, this represents the place so well. The restaurant, food, people, surroundings are just wonderful, can't get much better than this. They use to have cable T.V. but they discontinued however you may rent videos. The grounds are just breathtaking, I especially like where the massage area is located, underneath a large tree in a small hut with a connecting shower. After the massage, there are two large Adirondack chairs sitting on a small wooden deck overlooking the bay that you can sit in and watch time. I did not have a massage, but the person I traveled with had one last time she traveled there and decided to have another treatment, she said she slept like a baby. The staffs are locals who represent the island and will talk about the tribes and history. If course I tried the beetle nut martini, and chewed the nut with a leaf and lime that the locals gave me, but I didn’t feel much, however now that I think of it, I might of mellowed out a little. This is the best island in the FSM in my opinion, the local charm and history is great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Sierrared
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband and I were part of a group of 10 who did an island hopping trip throughout Micronesia in March 2009. Traders' Ridge was such a pleasant retreat. The rooms were spacious, clean and we had a lovely view over the water and the a/c was very welcome. Interesting Yapese art is displayed in the public areas and in the guest rooms . The staff was efficient , ready and willing to help at all times. Guides from the hotel were knowledgable and pleasant and were proud to show us Yap and its' culture. The dive shop crew was equally attententive. Diving and snorkeling were great. Fun to meet local expats in the pool for water aerobics. Food was all tasty but the kitchen seemed to be slow for dinner. Several of our group enjoyed a massage in a garden thatched Yapese style hut. Take advantage of the garden story hour and the local dances. Nice gift shop selling local artifacts. Definitely a pleasant, top notch hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank travelmrs66

Been to Yap Pacific Dive Resort? Share your experiences!