“Fantastic Pacific Colonial Style Hotel”

Yap Pacific Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Very happy with this beautiful hotel and very friendly staff. Food was excellent too with a combination of local cuisine and western.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David D

Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Yap Pacific Dive Resort in February/March 2011 and we travelled with a group of friends. We enjoyed it so much we are seriously considering going back in 2013. In fact our friends already went back in 2012! The Hotel is stunning, and the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable...there was free wi-fi which is especially good for keeping in touch with friends and family and sharing pictures of our trip.

The food was excellent and we were told by other visitors to the Hotels restaurant that it was the best on the island (and they learned through bad experiences)! Breakfast was included with our package, and was delicious every day. We had lunch a few times as well which was also up to the same high standard, but we didn't have this every day because we were often still full from breakfast.

We were there for Yap day and we saw the locals celebrating their history and heritage through costume, dance, song and demonstrations...something definitely not to be missed if you are on the island the first week in March.

We also went scuba diving, and this is what makes the island so special, the quality of marine life is breathtaking from Mantas to Sharks to Nudibranches. My husband hasn't stopped talking about the diving since we got back and our 2012 holiday to the Maldives didn't even compare.

In many respects, holidaying in Yap is like stepping back in time and it's so relaxing. The pace of life is slow, and you really start to appreciate life and enjoy the small things. It was the people who worked at the Hotel that turned our holiday from a good holiday to the best holiday experience!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank RaceyRache
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Staff were helpful, relaxed atmosphere. It's a lot more expensive than the other places for the tours, but we had a great time sitting at the bar chatting to the staff and other guests. Jeff the hotel manager also went out of his way to talk to every guest, even stopping us in the street to make sure we weren't lost.

I went diving for the first time with Dieter, made the whole event very simple and relaxed. Didn't have any problems.

If you have problems climbing stairs, you may want to avoid staying here as there are lots of steps to and from the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed here when it was Traders Ridge and while the local staff where excellent as was the local dive masters I am sorry to say the dive mangment was well below par.
There is a very steep climb from the dive center back to the hotel and I asked if I could leave my camera & strobes locked in the office at nights and was told no. It was at the end of our stay that a hotel staff member told me I should have asked the dive manager for a ride back, as he comes back for dinner every night. He did and also had breakfast there but was very aloof and made it plane he did not want to talk to us.
There were no other guests from the hotel diving but there was a party of Germans from another hotel that dictated where we would dive, all communication was in German with them and no English spoken.
After my seconde day of diving I became ill with a infection and could not dive but my wife continued to dive, on one of the dives he told her there was nothing wrong with me and I could dive if I wanted to. After leaving Yap we continued on to Palau, feeling a little better I did a days diving and had a relapse and was taken to hospital in a ambulance straight from the dock. I was told by the doctor no more diving on this trip
The manager at the Yap dive center, Dieter (--) refused any compensation for any days diving that I missed and I still had to pay extra for a night dive that I did.
I have dived all over the world UK, West Indies, Australia, PNG South America, Bali and into Indonesia and can honestly say this was the worst dive operation I have ever had the miss fortune to come across.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cdiver2
Reviewed May 2, 2012

My husband and I chose this property for our 10 day dive vacation over the more conventional choice in Yap, and we were very happy with our decision. The tropical-colonial ambiance, comfortable room with stunning view from the balcony terrace and friendly and accommodating staff & management were all wonderful, but the crowning touch was the exquisite grounds. The resort is positioned on a hill above the sea and lagoon, with beautifully landscaped gardens surrounding it. Loved the scent of flowers and birdsong drifting into our room. We booked a dive package and the dive crew, Vince and Charles, were top-notch and a lot of fun. Breakfast was included in our package and it was massive and delicious!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the sea side.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DayDiver
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Great resort to stay at, from all the staff. excellent service.
went on a dive trip purpose to see the mantas which we did and tons of it.
Won't hesitate again to be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have traveled to many tropical destinations in Central and South America, as well as the Hawaii and several locations in the South Pacific for the last ten years, but my travel to Yap has been the most rewarding by far. I had the good furtune to book a stay at the Yap Pacific Dive Resort. Getting to and from the nearby international airport was easy, as the hotel provides transfers. Throughout my stay I found the service to be first rate, with a very knowledgeable and friendly staff quickly responding to any need or question I posed. With WIFI available I was able to immediately share written thoughts and pix with family and friends. The room accommodations are comfortable and include air conditioning, reliable hot water service, and a clean comfortable bed. Housekeeping was as good as you would experience at a major brand hotel. The open air restaurant is on the hotel grounds and provides quality menu items for a reasonable price. The presentation of the food reflected a chef's touch. I wholeheartedly recommend the Yellowfin Tuna which is caught locally and grilled to perfection. Having it along with scrambled eggs was a wonderful breakfast treat. Could not pass up having it in a sandwich for lunch as well. Although I did not use the hotel swimming pool I did see others enjoying it. It was clean and well maintained. Across the street from hotel is their boat house and dock facility. It was here that my friendly and knowledgeable guide and I set out to see Manta Rays and Blue Starfish, as well as snorkel at several other locations around the island. The guide also provided an all-day cultural tour of the island and Yap history culture. If you go, you must take this tour. Another "plus" was the fact that the U.S. Dollar is the currency of exchange. Last, as this is a tropical location, having and applying a quality mosquito repellant as a precautionary action is very prudent thing to do.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer to the lobby have better WIFI reception.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Chuck K

Been to Yap Pacific Dive Resort? Share your experiences!