“Dive with Mantas, Stay in Comfort”

Manta Ray Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
San Jose, California
“Dive with Mantas, Stay in Comfort”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you are a scuba diver and you want one of the best diving experiences of your life, I highly recommend Manta Ray Bay Resort on the island of Yap in Micronesia. I flew there from California (enduring twenty-plus hours of air travel each way) and would do it again in a heartbeat. The owner, Bill Acker, his wife Patricia, and their incredible staff made every day a pleasure. They have managed to assemble a staff that cares for the guests/ divers in a fun, relaxed environment, putting the extra effort in whenever needed. The daily dive operation is run by Jan (yan) Sledsens who makes certain that every diver is safe and enjoys their vacation. The facility at Yap Divers was one of the best I have ever seen. The set-up for dive cameras is second to none. Multiple work stations, with locking cabinets for storage, US & European voltage for equipment, and (my favorite) was a magnifying lamp for those intricate camera needs (I had to disassemble/reassemble part of my Canon housing to stop a trickle leak and the work station was a dream come true).
The food was great (overseen by the incomparable Detlef). Big portions, fresh, quality food (even on the diving trips we were able to custom order our meals daily and there was so much food that I felt bad about wasting any) Everyone at the resort was raving about the food!
Did I mention BEER? The resort has its own brewery! The Stone Money Brewing Company brews 2 styles: Hammerhead Amber and Manta Gold. Both excellent beers and both beer and food are all served on board a moored Indonesian ship (The S V Mnuw) converted into a restaurant/ bar near the main boat dock. The upper deck is a bar open to the air, below that is the main bar/ dining room, and below that level is the main salon/ dining room. Breakfasts were included with the room rate, and never disappointed. I NEVER had a bad meal or beer during my 8 days there!
Diving: WOW! 3 dives a day, twilight dives with Mandarin Fish, groups of Manta Rays gliding over our heads, reef & black tip sharks everywhere at Vertigo Reef, incredible marine life at Slow n Easy Reef, and amazing swim-throughs at Yap Caverns Reef. We had diversity and also were able to talk with the Dive Masters and decide where the boat would go on many days (weather and visibility permitting). I guess you can tell I loved this destination. Dive it, Love it!

Room Tip: Go to mantaray.com for full floor plans of the resort. I stayed in Rm. 306, and ANY of the ocean-fro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scubadave1960

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Czech first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Highly recommend the warm Pacific waters with lots of friendly Mantas to see. And the best dive resort I've ever had a pleasure to stay. Everything works with a professional but friendly and personal touch.
Great all-round quality starting from rooms, dive masters, boats, food, beer ending to island beauty and stunning dives, and all in-between. Don't miss (I am missing already).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JanosR
Birkerod, Denmark
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I loved Yap!
The resort is not very big but nice comfy rooms. The dive center is in the resort which makes it very convenient. They leave app 8.30 in the morning and you are back app 1.30 for lunch. You do 2 dives and in between you can get cake and hot tea. Very nice is you are cold from the diving. They also carry towels for each guest on the boat. They set up your equipment and are in general very helpful.

If you want to do a 3rd dive you just let them know where to and when and they will do everything to accommodate your wish. They also offer shark feeding, night dive and mandarin dive. The dive shop is run by Jan who is extremely nice and helpful.

For the rooms ask for rooms away from the ship which serves as restaurant. Otherwise you will not get a lot of privacy.

The only drawback is the restaurant. The breakfast is really uninspiring and boring. The food for lunch and dinner is so so. Every time I had fish it was overcooked. And the menu is rather limited. The a la carte is mainly fat food like burgers etc. And then they have a lunch special and dinner special. However, there are several restaurants within walking distance.

If you can, try to come around March 1st which is Yap national day. They celebrate this for 2 days with traditional dancing, competitions etc. And this is not tourist stuff. This is for themselves so you will get insight into their old traditions. A fantastic experience!

Also take a half day land tour. Yap is one of the most traditional islands in Micronesia and the land tour is well worth it. You will see stone money, traditional mens houses, WWll left overs etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Birkbo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What an excellent resort. The accommodation is good. There was no safe in our room when we arrived, and within five minutes of telling the front desk, a man and a safe arrived. Excellent service. The room was cleaned thoroughly, the cleaners were helpful in terms of when they cleaned, all good news.

The airport transfer, bearing in mind the middle of the night arrivals, was very efficient, the front desk staff were all very helpful, and were more than happy for our daughter to email the front desk and them to then pass on the emails to us.

The diving was exquisite. The dive staff could not have been more helpful, agreeing departure times to suit us, letting us spend as long as we liked at the Manta site, and then agreeing to take us to the outer reef for more diving. Whilst the betel nut teeth take some getting used to, the dive staff are delightful people.

The boat as a restaurant is such good news. Quite unique in our experience.
The food itself was also good, and the fish specials excellent, we ate there every night after enjoying cocktails at the crow's nest. Brilliant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

good food, good homemade beer, great cocktails, nice room, very freindly staff, great dive shop, met nice people there... would go back anytimes and recomend to my friends anytime... nothing to complain about

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the moment I arrived the Staff was very helpful and friendly. They were willing to help you out in any way possible. The Dive Staff were Excellent. They were very accommodating and there to make your diving the best it could possibly be. And it was excellent diving... even if the Dry/Calm season was not so... Mother Nature the one thing no one can control.

My room was very clean, comfortable and spacious.

I tend to agree with a few other of the reviews that the WiFi was expensive. So I decided to go without. I did go next door to the internet cafe and use their computers ($4 for and hour).

The meals were good. However the fried food did get to me eventually and it disagreed with me. I ran into the manager and she said that if I wanted I could order other things that were not on the menu (I ordered a rice bowl (grilled fish, veggies, on rice with teriyaki sauce)). The Fish soup is good and the Fish fingers are awesome.

Oh lets not forget the Stone Money beer... It was good stuff... my drink of choice.

I would definitely go back to do more diving and see more of the Island.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We arrived very late from Guam and the staff was all ready for us. The room was huge with sliding glass door to a large balcony. I thought the wi-fi was expensive so I walked up the hill and bought a wi-fi card from the local telephone company - there is wi-fi all over Colonia. I bought a $20 card and shared that with the whole group and we only used about half so I gave it to the staff when we left. The breakfast menu was limited but good and it was nice to watch the sun rise from the deck of the boat that serves as the restaurant. The lunch/dinner menu was also limited and the food was mediocre. So try a few of the local restaurants too. We took the half day land tour with Theo and he was wonderful!! Very informative and we got to see so much of the island, the WWII history and relics, plus a stone money bank and the local men's house. He even showed us how to chew Betel Nut and let us try if we wanted. I tried it but did not chew it long. Colonia is not very big and you can walk it in minutes but the people are nice and we had a very relaxing time. We dove with Yap Divers right on sight and they were great!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Manta Ray Bay Resort? Share your experiences!