“Manta Ray Bay-Yap”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Colonia
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Manta Ray Bay-Yap”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Check out some pictures at this

linkhttp://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=6405363028/a=10281164028_10281164028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Great staff at the resort, restaurant, dive shop, everywhere just super friendly. Bill and his team have really set a high bar in such an off the beaten path area. The diving was just super with the Captain and DM totally flexible and helpful in finding great diving spots. It didn't matter where we wanted to go or what we asked for no trip was off the table. I once wanted to do a Mandarin fish dive and was the only person who wanted to go out, no problem off we went just me and the DM and the Captain. They let me spend all the time I wanted taking tons of pictures of these amazing looking fish. Conditions could not have been better, just flat calm. Tons of marine life. After one Manta dive (we did 2 and had great success on both) we stopped over a reef to snorkel. While looking over the side we could see a turtle swim by. The DM got our attention in time to see 3 juvenile sharks chasing each other in a circle off the other side of the boat. While snorkeling a woman from our group yelled "manta!" and as I looked down a large manta was swimming underneath us. Just another typical day in Yap. Practically every trip we were chased by dolphins or pilot whales or whatever, man this is some sort of place. On one dive we must have seen 40 sharks in a school, bump head parrots everywhere, sting rays, crocodile fish, nudibranchs, you name it. If anyone needs to see pictures let me know and I can send you a link to some of mine.

Breakfast is buffet style with plenty of good coffee, juice, fresh fruit, eggs to order, etc. We were usually done diving in time for a late lunch and a cold beer from their own micro brewery from on top on the Minu, a restored Indonesian wooden ship permanently moored on site. The only thing I would have asked for was a more varied menu as lunch and dinner choices were the same but we celebrated an anniversary and the staff came up with a special meal just for us and on just a few hours notice so not too shabby. The resort is well maintained and there seemed to be constant work being done painting and making repairs or whatever and it showed. There are a couple of restaurants across the street from the resort and they are a nice alternative as well. You would have to look pretty hard to find a better run or friendlier resort than Manta Ray Bay Resort.

We did a cultural tour that the resort set up and it was great. We visited a traditional village and met the people who told of us their history and demonstrated how they use to live (in some cases still do for the most part). Well worth it.

This is our first time to Micronesia but we are already planning our next trip. We broke this trip up by going to Tokyo for a few days on the way over. I'd suggest maybe Hawaii for a couple of days going over and coming back which would cut the travel time in half from the Midwest (7 hour flight to Guam from Hawaii and 1 hour to Yap). I've always wanted to dive an area like this and now that I have I realize it is very affordable and worth skipping a trip to the Caribbean if that is what you have to do. Give Manta Ray Bay a try and you wont be disappointed.

UW Photography Comments: No camera bucket on the boat as it was small but I had brought a collapsible cooler and each morning the guides would fill it with fresh water for me so I was more than fine with that setup as I didn't have to worry about other cameras or someone using the camera bucket to rinse a mask as everyone knew my DSLR was in my personal cooler. I would really recommend this little trick for anyone serious about their equipment. The camera area at the dive shop was great for cleaning up the photo gear and I really loved the large countertop in my room which provided tons of room for working on the camera setup and charging batteries. Also, the crew was great about how to handle my camera. I showed the DM Gordon once where to pickup the rig (a lanyard I attach to my Ultra-light arms) and he made sure that the Captain knew in case either one handed me the beast. Really top notch.

Room Tip: Go with the ocean view. Try rooms like 305 to 309.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Czech first
Calgary
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Manta Ray Bay is the best hotel in Yap! Service was awesome, beautiful spacious rooms and dive shop just downstairs! As expected the food is over-priced, menu is poor and food so-so but the atmosphere and ambience is awesome and the supermarket is 5 min walk away. Make sure you bring mosquito repellent, Yap is loaded with them!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 301, king size bed, roof-top jacuzzi and private patios. If you really want a priv...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuperCindyCalgary
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The rooms are well decorated and clean. There is a safe in each room which is a nice amenity to have when carrying my passport. The staff was friendly, but when not diving, there is nothing to do and nothing close by that one can walk to. The food was of fair quality. Breakfast and dinner is served on an old converted ''pirate vessel" (that was fun and unique). My biggest complaint was that I paid for 2 meals a day and every day we were given a Styrofoam packaged lunch that was virtually inedible. If I had been out on the boat every day, this may have made sense, but we returned to the hotel at the latest by 1 pm every day and were told this was the lunch provided with the package. The only reason I write this is to suggest that the meal plan is not worth the price. It would be better to pay for the food you want. Breakfast was OK and filled the need before going off to dive.
As for the diving, it was good and the boats are well maintained, which is something I appreciate. The shark dive is NOT to be missed - fabulous and in a natural setting, rather than being fed!!! I know Yap is known for mantas and we did have a good experience seeing a few, so that was also a good dive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sally K
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed at the Manta Ray while travelling for work to Yap. I had a week end during which I could experiment the diving. Here are my takes on the place:
GOOD STUFFS:
1. The staff is really friendly and tries to help as much as they can
2. The location is convenient to walk to a market/mall near-by
3. The hotel is on the water and you can dine outside.
4. They brew their own beer and it is excellent
5. The dive center staff does a lot of work to preserve the Mantas and instruct divers on their habits.
6. The hotel is one of the first that opened on the island and it is integral part of the community despite the owner is a foreigner.

Less good stuffs:
1. Food is horrible and overpriced
2. Rooms are a bit too simple for the rates they charge. At least compared to other Pacific destinations. Might be because of the age of the resort.

I don't have a definite answer on what is best, but I think next time I would try the colonial place, Yap Pacific Dive Resort. The food there is pricier but really tasty. No house-brewed beer though :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Martyton
Johannesburg
Reviewed April 10, 2012

United's flights to Yap really suck.... Prepare for late nights and early mornings However this inconveinience is partlyade up by a really good meet and greet at the airport and fine consideration for sleepy (grumpy) travellers.
The resort is great and the dive operation is very well run by Jan and his team.
The food sucks.... Someone is trying really hard, but its not working well enough to match up to the rest of it. Its a great pity.
However dont miss Juhns just accross the road. Great food at half the price

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PatsoJohannesburg
Genova
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is a truly fantastic place to go and enjoy the wonders that the underwater world as to offer and his offer is yours to enjoy day after day.
Yes Yap is difficult to reach but this is part of what is fascinating and is also a guarantee that his wonder of nature will remain he way I is for a very long time.
If you can, close your eyes and go to Yap and Manta Ray. Don't have any second thoughts.
You will never regret it.
Yea round is available with ideal period being between April and October as the seas are calmer.

Room Tip: Best room in,he house is 308
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Russellville, Arkansas
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Just came back from a trip to The Manta Ray Bay Hotel where we had a wonderful time! The rooms are all spacious and comfortable with good air conditioning. Every room is themed. We stayed in the French Angelfish room. Service was fantastic and the food was good. Everyone knew your name by the second day and were always pleasant. If you want to see Mantas Yap is the place to be. We dove many times at the newest cleaning station there in just 17 feet of water. We saw as many as 8 mantas at a time and boy did they put on a show. The dive guides were great and attentive. We had Gordon and Michael for almost all of our dives and they were wonderful. It was a perfect trip with a great group of people. Don't miss the village tour if you go or the Mandarin dive!!! Thanks to everyone at the hotel for a job well done!

Room Tip: Room 301 and one other have spiral stairs in the room leading up to a hot tub on a private balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Manta Ray Bay Resort? Share your experiences!