“Clean, well-run, good location, professional/friendly staff”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Tokyo/Guam
“Clean, well-run, good location, professional/friendly staff”
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I was not expecting much when I arrived on Kosrae Island. Was I in for a surprise !

I travel all across Asia and the USA on business and I would rank this small hotel with the better hotels I have stayed at.

The rooms were impeccably clean. The staff was professional and friendly and the foreign management team went out of its way to assist me with all requests.

Nice pool area and the meals I had in the small restaurant were all good.

I was not expecting this level of service/amenities on this small island.

The Nautilus Resort will be my "base of operations" on all future trips to Kosrae Island.

Mike Ghiglione
Tokyo/Guam

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank MikeTokyo068

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
sao paulo
Reviewed April 6, 2010

the hotel is simple, clean, good food , great hospitality, all the infra estructure for boat sports as diving , surf, kite .
doug , the owner has all the local knowladge at the sea, giving us strong support with 2 boats , one at each side of the island if you want to dive, snorkle, surf or kite.
underwater is fantastic, big fishes, great visual of corals, diversity .
we stayed 11 days, quite a lot but had fun everyday, .
sam the cooker, took us on a island trip to show his family and land.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fabioborger
Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We were in the 2-bedroom apartment listed on their webpage. This unit sits just across from the restaurant and was perfectly clean, bright, and spacious. All the staff members were pleasant and excellent. I had sashimi for every meal and it was some of the best I have ever had. All the other meals were yummy, too, especially the pizza special.

For scuba diving, the owner, Doug, does all the guiding at this time. He is an instructor with superb skills, is very safe, and catered to all my wishes - slow, mellow, shallow, easy-going diving. Salik was excellent friendly help on the boat and elsewhere in the resort. The dive boat was roomy, powerful, comfortable, and nicely configured for diving. I use smaller tanks and Doug was able to accommodate me. There was no time limit on dives.

We went on a couple of van rides around the island. One afternoon we did the outrigger canoe ride up through the mangroves with local Tadao. It was really fun and entertaining.

Overall, we really enjoyed The Kosrae Nautilus Resort. Doug and Sally do a really great job here. The Kosraean staff is exceptional. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2010
2 Thank fishbabe
Sydney, Oz
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Myself and my 15 year old daughter spent a week here (after a few days on Pohnpei) and loved it loved it.

I cannot say enough about how lovely and friendly the Kosraen people are and Doug and Sally fit right in with that. Both they and their staff seem to find it so easy to go the extra mile to make sure everything about your holiday is relaxed and enjoyable. The rooms are great (like 3+ stars) and the food is good and the location is terrific. You have the Pacific Ocean literally on your doorstep and plenty of chances to watch and mingle with the locals.

We snorkeled and took a jungle trek and I have to mention just how much care Doug and his crew take regarding the safety and comfort of their guests at all times.

The Nautilus does have a pool, too. So between that and the beach and walks and the ocean and even quiet time with a book you can do as much or as little as you like. The whole island (like all Micronesia I guess) is just so relaxing. Not everyone needs to be a scuba nut to get the most out of this place though its true Doug is more than accommodating of the diving crowd :-)

To be so comfy in a place that is almost 'remote' was wonderful. The Nautilus was terrific value for us.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jiminsydney
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Kosrae is the midpoint of Continental's 6-stop trans-Micronesia Island Hopper, and is known mainly to scuba divers. The diving is world-class, but the island has much to recommend it for tourists seeking the way the south Pacific used to be.
From the greeting at the airport through days of perfect dives and good meals to a farewell back at the airport, we felt like family. Flight six hours late at 10 PM? No worries, proprietor Sally brought a hot dinner to our room a half hour after we arrived. The hard-working Salik and Alik – seemingly everywhere, land and sea, always ready to help – seemed more like friends than employees. We especially appreciated willingness to accommodate our love for night diving. Many dive operations whine and make excuses about night dives. Doug’s answer? “Right. 5:30, tonight. Order dinner before we leave and I’ll call the kitchen when we dock so it’s ready when we get back.” And we saw wondrous things: flashlight fish, the fireflies of the deep; large cubomedusae (I think) jellyfish spawning; lionfish hunting. Salik made our blue hole dive across the road easy and interesting . . . poor visibility, as advertised, but still something different (after 1500+ dives, that doesn’t happen every day) and worth seeing. The accommodations are very comfortable: spacious, nicely designed, air-conditioned. Call us soft, but living as we do in a temperate climate, we would find Micronesia not a vacation without A/C.The pool is inviting and there is shade as well as sun around it. Our visit was over too soon, so we will return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pomacanthus
Brigham City, Utah
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We recently stayed a week with Doug and Sally at their resort. This was our second trip to the Nautilus and we had another great trip, diving in Kosrae is terrific and Doug will tailor the dives to your desires. We enjoy looking for all the creatures that live in the cracks and crevices of the reef. On one dive, we were down for over and hour and never moved more than 30 meters from the buoy pin.

The resort is comfortable and very clean. The restaurant is good and prices are very reasonable. The dive locker is very close to the rooms so it is convenient to clean the gear after each dive and hang it so your ready for the next day.

Doug and Sally are great hosts and will make every attempt to make your stay comfortable and fun. We are already planning our next trip to the Kosrae Nautilus which will be early next year. If want some laid back diving on some of the most beautiful reefs in the Pacific, this is one place you should visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank olediver
CA
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I flew to Kosrae last month for a quick vacation. Doug Beitz and his staff couldn't have been more accommodating! They picked up my luggage at the airport and delivered it to the hotel while i went sightseeing. They treated me like royalty the entire stay -- in the restaurant with great service, around the resort, on the dive boat and under water.

As the divemaster, Doug was my dive buddy and even took some great photos of me underwater which he was more than happy to share with me.

If you're coming to Kosrae and want to stay in a western-style resort with the only pool on the island, great food and a gorgeous beach across the street, book your trip now to the Kosrae Nautilus Resort.
– G.Zeimer, San Rafael, CA

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank gzeimer

Been to Kosrae Nautilus Resort? Share your experiences!