“Great Choice For Kosrae”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We just returned from a week long trip through Micronesia - diving in Kosrae and Chuuk. We had the good fortune of staying at the Nautilus Resort in Kosrae. The rooms are basic but exceptionally clean and well maintained. Service is friendly and responsive. The credit goes to Doug and Sally Bietz, the owners. They are always about and really make the place special. Doug is also an outstanding dive guide. His first lieutenant, Salick, does multiple jobs and is also a skilled dive master. The food, while also basic, is fresh and very tasty with a good variety. The banana pancakes at breakfast are the absolute best. We did a fun and interesting hike to the Menke Ruins on Sunday (when diving is not possible). As for the diving, it's like going back in time. The corals are magnificent - really unmatched by anywhere else. Kosrae was a very pleasant surprise - in almost every way more satisfying than Chuuk. Our thanks to to Doug and Salick for a great visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lauterbur

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Kosrae is a very remote and small island with only a couple of establishments for eating and lodging. As such, it is a bit expensive and there is not much choice. Nautilus is the best place to sleep, as the rooms are clean and bright. The restaurant is good, considering the difficulties of getting ingredients on island. Nautilus is run by a friendly Australian family and they have their own garden which supplies fresh vegetables for the restaurant. This is a big plus, considering the dearth of vegetables otherwise on-island.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank allthon
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I hate to put this out there, but Kosrae has some pristine reefs! I have never dove anywhere else in the world where the reefs are in such great condition. Not much in terms of macro or large pelagic's. Would we go back - YES! The water is warm, the reefs are so pretty, and no one goes here, it is a true hidden paradise.
The options for accommodation are limited and I would stay at the Nautilus - hands down! The competition is not really competition (tree lodge) is ok, but it is smack dab in the middle of the mangrove. I would go to the tree lodge to hang at their bar for a change of pace, and thats about it.
We spent 10 days at the Nautilus resort and booked 7 days of diving. All diving was done by boat and we had a fabulous variety with our dives. In seven days, we did 14 dives (2 per day) and each dive was an hour plus (whatever your tank lasts). The diving was mostly shallow 50 feet or less. The best things to see (colors, reefs, fish are at 35 to 45 feet). We went back to a site near Utwe harbor, twice, because it was so beautiful. Their are enough sites where you won't be repeating any dives.
A typical dive day is: get up, enjoy breakfast, meet at the gear storage area by 8 ish, load in the van and head to one of the 2 dive boats. They keep a boat at each harbor. This way you don't spend a lot of time traveling to the different sites. Do your 2 dives, eat lunch on board and head in. Getting back to the resort varies between 2 ish and 4 at the latest. Hang up your gear, shower and its time for dinner.
Bring what ever spare gear you might need, you wont be able to find it here. They have a shop out back, with a variety of nuts and bolts, but do not count on purchasing any dive gear.
Kosrae is a place for total relaxation. If you want entertainment or excitement go with a group of friends, because you need to create your own. This is the first dive trip my husband and I have been on that we actually felt refreshed when arriving at home. We went with the intention that I would be able to work on my graduate school work at night (and I did). Their is no night life, no shopping, TV is limited and internet is painfully slow (but it works). Taking naps were fabulous and so were the long walks we took daily.
We booked the 2 bedroom apartment with a full kitchen. We brought a few spices and canned goods from home, knowing we would be cooking our dinners. This was a great idea as grocery shopping is severely limited here. This worked out perfect as I have a lot of food allergies. The other choice of accommodation are the studios. The one bedroom apartment is being used by the owner’s school tudor.
We usually ordered the green salad every night from the kitchen to complement our home cooked food. You can not buy fresh produce in the stores. Luckily, the resort has a great selection of in season fruit and veggies from their own garden.
By the way, keeping food in mind, they do the best they can with what they have, mostly chicken and fish. Lunch on the boat is either a chicken or fish sandwich. The resort has a restaurant that is fully functional with enough variety. A small bar with a variety of beer. If you want hard liquor bring your own.
Sundays, everything shuts down, no diving. We rented one of the resorts rental cars and drove around. We did find the Seven day Adventist village, which did have some activity going on. Doug (the owner), can arrange activities for you on Sunday with a day or so notice.
Getting to Kosrae is with United airlines. We live in Honolulu and did the island hopper - honolulu to Majaro, kwaj, and kosrae. This took about 8 hours total, including the stops on the ground. Going home we went thru Guam, with a stop over in Guam. Getting to Guam from Kosrae is the other part of the island hopper, stopping in Pohnpei and Chuuk.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HawaiiHolly
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed here many times and the place is still great.
I stayed here recently at the end of a big dive trip.
As usual, Doug runs a top-notch operation above and below the water.
The boat captains are good and Salik is a fine divemaster and guide. Doug does a lot of the guiding, too, and he had NITROX available this time, too.

Wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fishbabe
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the resort and did 2 dives/day except day 1 when we chased a baitball my son spotted by watching the birds...we ended up seeing several Sharks.The staff and owner were very professional and did their best to show us some pristine coral reefs and point out creatures,despite some windy conditions.Ther dives were managed well with excellent bottom times,good equipment,proper surface intervals with really good lunches on the boat(sandwiches and fruit....yummy!)
The room and pool were very good and our meals in the evening were tasty,good portions and had enough variety over the week to satisfy our tastes.All reasonably priced.
I highly recommend the resort for a truly nice dive vacation1!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Oceanic7
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The fact that Kosrae is a bit out of the way only makes this location better, as its not overrun by tourists like many pacific islands. Our second time here, this time we brought our 2 young teenagers with us. A very peaceful place to visit. The resort is clean, the food is good, and overall the resort is very very well managed. The staff are polite and the owners Doug and Sally certainly go out of their way to accommodate visitors. The diving here is wonderful with the reefs being in very good condition. Doug runs a very safe and professional dive operation. Our 2 teenagers are junior divers and Doug was was very worth them. The land activities are good and varied as well. There are century old island ruins here that provide that wow factor. Thank you Nautilus!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SerpicoOz
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Okay,,,,it takes a bit of doing to get to Kosrae, but you will be rewarded with an unspoiled Pacific island experience. The Kosrae Nautilus will take care of every need. This is not a cookie cutter "resort" type hotel. It is a small, quaint hotel run by real and wonderful people (Doug and Sally.) The rooms are very clean and basic but comfortable.The staff is outstanding and will take very good care of you. You actually get to know them and they...you. The restaurant has wonderful food, some local dishes and things like pizza and hamburgers. (I got addicted to the breadfruit chips.) Because it is small, if you need something, they will take care of it quickly and with a smile.

Unlike many other tropical destinations with large hotels and the accompanying large tourist crowds, this is a non-tourist dominated island. This is important (for me anyway): At NO time did I ever feel like the staff or the locals were trying to separate me from my money. At NO time did ever feel unsafe.

I did a "resort dive" with Doug (a great dive master). I have had the great fortune of diving the Great Barrier Reef and Cozumel, but the underwater scenery off Kosrae was....wonderous. If you don't dive, the Blue Hole, located literally in the hotel's front yard, is a snorkeling paradise. More species of fish than you can count and amazing underwater topography.

I also spent a couple of days with Matt Rott of Kosrae Surf.Tours. (Nautilus can arrange for you to hook up with him.) He took me on some serious hiking and snorkeling adventures and can take you out surfing if the swells are right. A great tour guide and all around good guy.

You are not cloistered from the world at Nautilus. It is a popular place for the local Kosraens to have coffee in the morning and have a family dinner at night. Enjoy their company...friendly, gracious and warm people.

I had been told before going that mosquitos were an issue. I never felt the bite of one mosquito while I was there. If you trek into the forest you might encounter them...but I was never on their dinner menu.

I did not spend a whole lot of money. Everything is reasonably priced..the hotel, food, tours were all reasonable.

The island and the hotel are truly "escapes". There's no shopping, no huge spa/resort, no massive tourist infrastructure that has altered either the island itself or the psyche of those who are there.

I was a solo traveler and though I was there alone...I never felt lonely. I friendly conversation with Salik or Wallace at the hotel or my new friend Jack who lives nearby was always possible and welcome. Jack and I spent more than a few mornings drinking coffee together and learning about each other. The Kosraens are happy to answer any questions you have about their island or their culture.

This is probably as close as I will ever come to a very genuine and authentic island experience without all the trappings of a tourist destination. I strongly recommend this hotel, island and experience for those who want something real and who truly want to get away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank IguanaPreserver

Been to Kosrae Nautilus Resort? Share your experiences!