“Truly off-the-grid Pacific escape”

Kosrae Nautilus Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kosrae
Denver, CO
“Truly off-the-grid Pacific escape”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Okay,,,,it takes a bit of doing to get to Kosrae, but you will be rewarded with an unspoiled Pacific island experience. The Kosrae Nautilus will take care of every need. This is not a cookie cutter "resort" type hotel. It is a small, quaint hotel run by real and wonderful people (Doug and Sally.) The rooms are very clean and basic but comfortable.The staff is outstanding and will take very good care of you. You actually get to know them and they...you. The restaurant has wonderful food, some local dishes and things like pizza and hamburgers. (I got addicted to the breadfruit chips.) Because it is small, if you need something, they will take care of it quickly and with a smile.

Unlike many other tropical destinations with large hotels and the accompanying large tourist crowds, this is a non-tourist dominated island. This is important (for me anyway): At NO time did I ever feel like the staff or the locals were trying to separate me from my money. At NO time did ever feel unsafe.

I did a "resort dive" with Doug (a great dive master). I have had the great fortune of diving the Great Barrier Reef and Cozumel, but the underwater scenery off Kosrae was....wonderous. If you don't dive, the Blue Hole, located literally in the hotel's front yard, is a snorkeling paradise. More species of fish than you can count and amazing underwater topography.

I also spent a couple of days with Matt Rott of Kosrae Surf.Tours. (Nautilus can arrange for you to hook up with him.) He took me on some serious hiking and snorkeling adventures and can take you out surfing if the swells are right. A great tour guide and all around good guy.

You are not cloistered from the world at Nautilus. It is a popular place for the local Kosraens to have coffee in the morning and have a family dinner at night. Enjoy their company...friendly, gracious and warm people.

I had been told before going that mosquitos were an issue. I never felt the bite of one mosquito while I was there. If you trek into the forest you might encounter them...but I was never on their dinner menu.

I did not spend a whole lot of money. Everything is reasonably priced..the hotel, food, tours were all reasonable.

The island and the hotel are truly "escapes". There's no shopping, no huge spa/resort, no massive tourist infrastructure that has altered either the island itself or the psyche of those who are there.

I was a solo traveler and though I was there alone...I never felt lonely. I friendly conversation with Salik or Wallace at the hotel or my new friend Jack who lives nearby was always possible and welcome. Jack and I spent more than a few mornings drinking coffee together and learning about each other. The Kosraens are happy to answer any questions you have about their island or their culture.

This is probably as close as I will ever come to a very genuine and authentic island experience without all the trappings of a tourist destination. I strongly recommend this hotel, island and experience for those who want something real and who truly want to get away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank IguanaPreserver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A lovely place to stay - not fancy but clean and popular with travelers and locals. Food was great as well. Would def stay here again. A welcome relief from Kosrae Village Resort, which should be condemned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank alice a
Sweden
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Staying at this personable yet professionally run resort on the beautiful island of Kosrae was really a wonderful experience. My wife and I, along with our two-year-old daughter, went to Kosrae in February 2012 with a little apprehension due to our daughter’s age and the remoteness of the island. However, the owners, Doug and Sally, and their staff really took good care of us. The two-bedroom apartment we rented was clean and spacious, the food at the restaurant was delicious, and every request we made was answered with prompt and courteous service. All the praise the resort gets on Trip Advisor is completely justified. Kosrae Nautilus Resort is really the best place to stay on the island.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank E L
Wellington, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I was fortunate to have won a trip to Kosrae Nautilus Resort through a dive group that we travel with. I would never have known about Kosrae, let alone selected this as a travel destination. But after spending a fantastic week here, I've got to start doing more research into "out of the way" destinations.

We were greeted at the airport by Salik, a local, who is Doug and Sally's "right hand man". Aside from chauffeuring, Salik wore the hats of Boat Captain, Divemaster and Waiter, and was hospitable in every discipline.

The accommodations were very clean. Plenty of hot water (provided by a state-of-the-art solar collection system) for showers, and the air conditioning was adequate. Daily housekeeping kept things spotless, even amongst our clutter.

The restaurant at the resort is very good. I especially enjoyed the Sashimi - absolutely the freshest fish I've ever had! Burgers were very tasty, and the Pizza was amongst the best I've had - anywhere. Overall, prices were reasonable. One night, we visited Bully's, down the street, for a change of pace and scenery. Nice to do, once.

The real treat, though, was the diving. Daily, Doug and Salik drove us by van, to either of the marinas where Nautilus' boats were docked for a three-tank dive. The reefs are splendid, with magnificent hard coral formations, and millions and millions of colorful fish. Either Doug or Salik led each dive, pointing out items of interest, but would generally let us "do our thing". Each dive was terminated at the 60 minute mark, although on a couple of occasions, the scenery was so fantastic that we extended this to 70 minutes or so. On our surface intervals, fresh water and fruit were provided, and a sandwich was provided between the second and third dive. After diving, we hung out by the pool, played table tennis, or just relaxed.

While in Kosrae, Doug and Sally had arranged for a couple of afternoon trips for us to see different parts of the island. For a modest fee, an operator took us by boat to the rainforest to see the ecosystem that is endemic to Kosrae. The second trip was led by an older gentleman, on a dugout canoe, through the mangroves, and up a freshwater river. He provided some history of Kosrae, and a LOT of insight into the biodiversity of the island. One thing that we did not do while on Kosrae was to visit Lelu, the bottled water company. They literally do everything, from the collection of the water to the bottling and distribution (they even make their own bottles). As an engineer, I would have liked to see their facility.

Getting to Kosrae from the U.S. isn't easy, though. My wife and I decided to extend our trip, and defray the airfare cost, by visiting Truk Lagoon, first. Cleveland to Chicago to Tokyo to Guam (overnight) to Truk. After spending time there, Truk to Kosrae, with a stop in Pohnpei. Our homebound flight was Kosrae to Honolulu, with stops in Kwajalein and Majuro, to San Francisco to Cleveland. This padded our frequent flyer account, quite nicely.

We spent some time talking with Doug and Sally, and were surprised that this isn't chosen more often as a dive destination. The majority of their clientele is business travellers. So, if you go to Kosrae for the diving, you'll probably enjoy the personal, one-on-one attention that we received.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ScubaVacation
Sacramento
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Excellent place to stay while working, rooms are comfortable and the pool was great. There is a small covered deck across the street by the ocean where you can sit and ponder. We went to Bully's which was a great restaurant location, sitting right in the middle of swamp land, great eat and drinks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Sierrared
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was our fourth time back to the Kosrae Nautilus Resor(not an easy trip to get to BUT WELL WORTH IT. Doug and Sally who own and run this gem are the most knowledgeable "friends" you could every want when traveling 12,000 miles from NY. The main reason traveling so far was to dive the "Hard Coral Capital of the World". We say this with authority while comparing the sites we dove to Papua, Solomon’s and even Sipidan(when you could stay on the island). Aside from 70-100+ ft. visibility the fish life and nudi's were amazing.Every site was different: layers upon layers of the most healthy plate/piller etc. coral. Doug's boat was the perfect boat to dive from. He has two, one at each dockage so you can dive whenever the weather changes. Selik, his dive master and master helper will help lead your dive without any major rules or regulations. There were times we were the only divers on board. The sandwiches between dives were to die for. The resort has an immaculate pool and a fun dining room with a fun menu The rooms are very large and the airconditioning works superbly. The dive room is perfect. All fills were 3000psi. There is just too much to write about. Feel free to email us at gnil50@aol.com for more info and pics.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Cfeinberg
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Wonderful place to stay on island with limited choices. Accommodations are spacious and immaculate. Pool is great. Restaurant is fine. Very thoughtful service. Loved out of the way Kosrae and I do not dive! For divers, what are you waiting for? Internet available for modest fee to the provider not the hotel. Best of island style charm.

Room Tip: Rooms seems to be the same.