“I' ll Be Back.....”
Review of Truk Stop Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chuuk
Truk Stop Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chuuk
Guam
“I' ll Be Back.....”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

One of my staff and I visited Chuuk from 9/22-25, 2010, to see one of our TRIO programs there. We had meetings with several state educational leaders as well as our own staff in Chuuk. We stayed at the Truk Stop hotel which was the venue for all of our meetings. The service is still excellent, the location is still ideal and the rate is still outstanding. Our meetings required morning snacks and lunch and we could not have asked for a better service. The quality of the foods and drinks that were served during our two-day meetings were very good, but the most ideal part of the hotel is its location. It is in the middle of the island of Weno which is the seat of the state government. Given the current condition of the road, Truk Stop is the best place to stay for any business or even for pleasure. This is my third visit and I will definitely stay there in my next visit. Our meetings were held at their VIP room with its brand new pull-down screen which was extremely convenient for our power point presentation. The VIP room is inside the restaurant so everything is accessible. There is also a free wi-fi that is available to the hotel guests so my staff and I were able to constantly communicate with our office on Guam. In the evening, the walk to the pier would seem to melt all of your stresses away as you sit, and seemingly drinking the quietness and serenity of the area while watching one of the most spectacular sunsets this side of the Western Pacific. Once the sun is set, you then walk the path way of the pier back to the restaurant, have a glass of wine, have your dinner, enjoy the internet and meet with your friends.........ahhh....... and you call this work........if I am dreaming, please do not wake me up....yet. For hotel and other info, please contact Melba at melbajeans@hotmail.com, and she will take care of you. I am including three pictures I took of the pier and sunset so you would be able to see for yourself since they are worth more than what I can write.
Kinisou Chapur,
Yoichi

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank yrengiil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Guam
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Review of the Truk Stop Hotel

During my most recent visit to Chuuk (9/30- to 10/4) I decided to check out the Truk Stop Hotel for the first time in a while. For over a decade I have always stayed at the Blue Lagoon Resort for all of my business travel. I have been traveling to Chuuk averaging three to four times a year ever since 1996 so I know the existence of the two hotels. I have also traveled all over the world for the last thirty some odd years on business as well as on pleasure trips so I have had my share of hotels, motels, inns and others to know what is an excellent service and what is not. I also have walked out of several hotels from the registration desk as a result of not only poor service but outright arrogant behavior of the hotel staff so I am always vigilant regarding the services that the hotel staff provides to their guests. With this, I would like to offer my review of the Truk Stop Hotel from the perspective of a person who is not a SCUBA diver but someone who works for a government program on a different island.

The Truk Stop is a family owned and managed hotel by Bill and Kiki Stinnett so a guest would always feel at home and that is just for starter. The hotel is centrally located on the island so a visitor like myself whose visit is to meet with various government officials, it is excellent. The hotel is small so one does not have to go through the hordes of guests so before the end of the day the staff would know you already. As a part of the island culture, you are treated just like one of the members of the Stinnett’s extended family. There is a restaurant that serves Asian, Western and a mixture of other cuisines for breakfast, lunch and dinner that would satisfy anyone’s palate. However, they have by far the best banana pancake in the entire Pacific…….I kid you not. Even when I was staying at the Blue Lagoon Resort, I would always go there just for the banana pancake. One of my favorite restaurants when I am traveling to Hawaii or the US is IHOP that is famous for all kinds and flavors of pancakes, but the banana pancakes at the Truk Stop are much better. There is also a gift shop that offers all kinds of local handicrafts, tshirts, drinks and snacks that is open daily. The hotel has its own dock that provides easy access and convenience for the SCUBA divers or other inter island visitors alike. When I was there a group from Australia and South America were staying at the hotel who were visibly enjoying their stay. One can tell if the guests are enjoying themselves because they are usually boisterous while sharing their diving experience over a cold beer at the end of the day.

Since internet has become somewhat ubiquitous, having an access to email is extremely important to keep in touch with one’s office, family and friends. The Truk Stop Hotel has an excellent wi-fi located at the restaurant that is available free of charge for the hotel guests. Outside of the restaurant, a guest can always bring a laptop to enjoy the easy accessibility of the internet, but also to enjoy the fresh air while watching the best sunset in the world. I am sure the SCUBA divers who have stayed at the hotel have enjoyed sending their underwater pictures of the Truk Lagoon with its world famous shipwreck dives to their friends and families abroad.

During my years of travel I have stayed at a number of four or five star hotels with their own amenities that made them what they are today. However, the excellent services that the hotel provides have always lured me to enjoy my stay more than the amenities. Some of the services that any hotel provides to their guests may be small and we normally take them for granted, but to me they make a whole world or difference. For example, Bill and Kiki always have their daily breakfast, lunch and dinner at the restaurant. To me this means the food has to be really good for them to do this on a daily basis. I rarely see this at other hotels in general and in particular, Chuuk. After all, the chef has to be exceptionally good to “feed the hands that pays him” with excellent food. Bill would always, always, go and not only mingle but talk to the hotel guests as if they are a part of his family. Since Bill has lived in Chuuk for many years he is always willing to share his knowledge regarding not only the island but the diving as well. As for his lovely young wife, Kiki, well, she has the most beautiful smile that would just melt all of your stress away at the end of the day. After my days work, I would walk into the hotel feeling tired and stressed but whenever I see Kiki and she greets me with her smile, my stress would melt away and I am ready for another day. Then there is Rowena who gives one of the best massages I have ever had. And so….between Kiki and Rowena, your day does not end when you return to the hotel after a days work. The hotel also offers a rather interesting service to the guest who may be short of cash during his or her visit. Since Chuuk does not now have any working ATM outlets at any of the banks there, Bill and Kiki have initiated a service whereby a guest could get cash using their credit cards with only a 7% charge. None of the hotels in Chuuk has a similar service. When you are short of cash and there is no ATM anywhere on the island, this small service could be a lifesaver. So again, what I have described here may be small but they make a lot of difference regarding the comfort of the guests……I know I will go back.

What I have shared in this review are some of the excellent services that I was able to experience and enjoyed during my short visit. This is a hotel that is worth visiting and I am planning to stay there during my next visit. I would be more than happy to share my unbiased feeling about the hotel to anyone who may want to know more about the Truk Stop Hotel. My email address is (--). However, I should note that this was my first stay in so many years so I am not really that familiar with the hotel, but for a more detailed information contact Ms. Melba Stinnett Aisek at (--), or visit their web site at (--).

In closing, let me offer this scenario for you. Imagine yourself having a banana pancake for breakfast while checking your email using free and excellent wi-fi with an occasional and personal visit by Bill to start your day. Then at the end of the day you return to the hotel and you sit outside of the restaurant checking your email, sipping a cold beer, while occasionally watching the beautiful sunset and then…and then…..a greeting from that million dollar smile from Kiki who would walk up to you and say, “Hi, how was your day?”….this is priceless…so….heavens can wait!!

Yoichi K. Rengiil

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank ykrengiil
Sydney
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Just a short note on the Truk Stop and the diving. I have been coming the Truk for 10 years and have stayed at the Truk Stop for 8 of the 10 times. The staff are great, the rooms are clean, the local dive guids are great and value for money is there. You are not coming to have a 5 star holiday, your here to dive. The dive shop managers at the moment are very good. Kelvin and his wife do ther besy to look after all your needs while your here. I give them and the experance 8/10.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank Kelsydney
everywhere
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I was in Chuuk for a year, from June of 2003 to May of 2004 and stayed at the Truk Stop Hotel. I was there for my work and was treated like family the entire time. Junior,Steve and of course Augustine were like brothers to me and I will never forget them or the good times we had. My best friend there was Kevin. I miss that guy alot. The hotel rooms were always clean, the staff very friendly and the restaurant is by far the best place to eat on the island. What a beautiful place to get away from it all even if you're not a diver as I am not. Relaxing in the sun with a drink in your hand, friday night barbeque, the Hard Wreck Cafe to shoot some pool, it's all good. Truk Stop is a 10 on an island that really needs to have one. Without the Truk Stop Hotel, Chuuk would not be a very fun place to be.

• Stayed July 2003, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank worldtraveler4444
UK
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed at the Truk Stop for 5 nights and went diving with them for three days. The rooms were large,basic and clean and there wasplenty of hot water. The prices for accomodation and diving were considerably lower than the Blue Lagoon and Truk Stop was for us the only decent, affordable, safe place to stay. The food in the restaurant was good too, especially the egg custard cake! The diving was excellent, the equipment that we hired was all brand new. Kelvin, Annabel and the boat driver Jacob looked after us very well. We got to visit the sites we wanted too and would be the only divers there. I recommend the Truk Stop to anyone, when continental lost our luggage the friendly owner Bill let us borrow shorts etc. Free Wifi is another bonus. We had little reason to leave the hotel on this strange little island!

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank maribarnes3
Philadelphia,pa
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Just came back from a very pleasant 10 day stay stay at the Truk Stop.Arrived on the 9:30 P.M. flight from Guam and was met by Jennifer and driven to the hotel in the pouring rain.The hotel is located probably no more then 2 miles from the airport it just seems further because of the condition of the road.
The hotel is located in the middle of the town and is very convenient to shopping and several other restaurants in the area.The area is quite poor but I felt very safe and found the Truk locals very friendly and outgoing.The hotel was busy during my stay,filled with an advance team of us military doctors and also the us ambassador to Micronesia.
I was there to dive the wrecks in Truk and had a hotel/dive package with the hotel.The dive shop is run by a very nice couple from New Zealand,Calvin and Annabel.They have only been there for a short time and run a very safe and professional dive shop.I did 18 dives with the shop and really enjoyed myself.The boat was a mixture of recreational and tech divers,there were even 2 rebreather divers on the boat.The shop offers nitrox for $12.50 extra per tank so I stuck with air.The boats went out at around 8:00 and came back in around 1:30.They also have a nice shark dive in the afternoon if one is interested.Surface interval is usually done on shore at several very senic locations,and usually lasts 2 hours because the dives are deep.The shop also has nice walk in dive lockers available for your equipment.There were snacks and water available on the boat.
The restaurant at the hotel in my estimation was the best deal on Truk.The sashimi on Truk was the best I have ever eaten.The hotel serves serves good fish and good steaks.I really can't comment on the rest of the menu as that was all I tried.I ate sashimi at almost every meal.The servers were all very sweet and knew you by name the by the second day.There is a good Korean restaurant down the road if you get tired of the hotel food.
My room Was nothing fancy but spacious and clean.It had no TV but a DVD player was available and dvd's were available for rent at the gift shop.The maid service was good and the women were very pleasant.I tipped the maid every day and on my last day she came by my room thanked me and and gave me a small gift.
Bill the owner of the hotel is very hands on and can be seen around the property everyday.He seems to get to know all his guests personally and is very interesting to speak with.I found my stay very pleasant and would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.
I would just like to comment that if one is going to dive in Truk it is not benefical to stay on a liveaboard in my estimation.From watching the boats everyday they stayed anchored in the same spot and did there diving from pangas.The only benefit is you can do more dives but if you are doing 130 + deep dives 2 a day are plenty.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — No Cable
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank newt72
HawaiiGary
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I was befriended by the hotel owner and enjoyed a wonderful four days of conversation and diving.
I knew about Truk when I got first certified as a diver in my teens during the 60's. After diving for a few years I stopped and just got PADI'd last November. My dream was always to dive the wrecks of Truk. I was not disappointed. The social environment was well described by one reader (deplorable poverty). Truk is for diving. I went to Palau after Truk and found myself going from an isolated, serious diving spot (less than 5,000 dives per year) to one of the most popular diving locations in the world (something like 90,000 dives and you will be lucky to get more than 2 dives per day unless you do a live aboard thing).. Consider Truk an experience of a lifetime. It is a robust and aggressive diving but anyone in good shape can do it. I was fortunate to have just me and the dive master. The wrecks are indescribable. I wanted to get as much diving in as possible. I got off the plane in the morning and was wreck diving in the afternoon. I then dove the fwo following days, 3 dives per day. I thought I was in good shape for my age ("hippie" era) but it did take a bit of a toll by the third day.
I finished with a visit to shark island where the dive master and I sat on the sea floor while 50 feet away over 30 sharks were whipped into a feeding frenzy from chum thrown into the water. It was incredible (also trying to get back on the boat was another experience....). I have done the "shark cage" stuff but this took it to a new level! (There was NO cage, just you and a bunch of excited sharks).
For me it was a dream fulfilled. All I know is Truk exist because no where else in the world can you literally run your hands over war relics from the past.
Oh, the Truk Hotel is the only place where you have free wi-fi computer access. A freebie from the hotel owner. A great guy.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Truk Stop Hotel? Share your experiences!