“Best on Truk”
Review of Truk Stop Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chuuk
Truk Stop Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Chuuk
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have found the Truk Stop to be the best overnight hotel on Chuuk after a week on a live-a-board dive boat. Its close to the airport, which considering the deplorable state of the roads and early check in requirements, makes for an easy day of departure.

It's very clean, with large rooms and a very good restaurant. The wifi is slow but it works and included with some rooms (I believe lagoon view rooms). With the owners present thinks run very smoothly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank bigboofer

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to dive Truk Lagoon. We spent ten nights at the Truk Stop Hotel as part of a group of six divers doing recreational and technical diving.

The Truk Stop Hotel rooms were adequately sized, clean, and had nice air conditioners. The staff was always helpful and courteous. We had all of our meals at the hotel's restaurant which serves consistently good food, but do not expect gourmet food. The bakery items are particularly tasty. We also had massages at the hotel's "Body Shop" that were so nice we went back for seconds.

Do be cognisant of the country where this is located and that you are not going to a "five star" dive resort. The island of Weno, on which the Truk Stop Hotel is located, is the only island in Chuuk state that has electricity and the island's infrastructure could be considered rudimentary by our standards.

The heart of our trip rested with those who run and work for the Truk Lagoon Dive Center, located at the Truk Stop Hotel. Rob, Cindy, and their staff provided top notch service! Our recreational dives and technical dives were expertly led and accommodated those of us who did penetration diving and those who did not. Boat rides to the dive sites were definitely reasonable, and we had some rather nice surface intervals between our two morning dives on the days we did recreational dives. We used Nitrox or Trimix for all of our dives and gasses were blended to our specifications. I understand that this dive shop is the only source for trimix on the island.

If you want to dive Truk Lagoon, I think it will be rather hard to beat the combination of the Truk Lagoon Dive Center and Truk Stop Hotel, whether you are doing technical diving or recreational diving.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our ocean view room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank RedRiders
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The other reviews here are pretty much spot on. Chuuk is the poorest and most poorly run of the FSM's state so it's a must to set your expectations at a very basic level. The Truuk Stop does a good job of providing clean, basic accommodation and overall okay food. It's located on the beautiful lagoon and has character. I love the long jetty and I bought three t-shirts from their pretty cool souvenir shop. The dive operators too have a lot of character - you may just see Rob with Deco the cat walking around on his shoulders. Apart from the diving, I really enjoyed the deep tissue massage available at 'the Body Shop'. I haven't stayed at the Blue Lagoon but the word here in FSM is that if you are going to Chuuk for more of a stay than a dive, then that's the place to pick. I ended up picking Truk Stop Hotel because our trip was purely a diving one, and I was not at all disappointed. I hope you make it to Truk Lagoon soon because it is AWESOME!

Room Tip: I'd spend the extra $ for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shinbi
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I have stayed at the Truk Stop for the last 10 years on my trips to Chuuk. It is a clean and well run hotel in downtown Weno. It also has a restaraunt that serves the best food on the island. It is run by Bill and Kiki and has a bar called the Hard Wreck that is open every night except Monday's. If you are going on business this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank 33mikemcg
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I have stayed at Truk Stop before. As a business traveler, the place is great. A very good resturant, very friendly staff, and the rooms are clean. That being said, don't expect the Ritz. This is Chuuk! Everything is tough in Chuuk. They do have a generator so power is only interrupted when the need to turn it on.
There is a great pier leading into a boating and swimming area. The ocean is the best. Great snorkeling right off the pier. They also have a world class dive shop and dive boats for those inclined to wreck dive.
I will always return to Truk Stop. A home to come back to.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Sspencer48
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Unless you're a diver, there are few positives to say about the Island of Chuuk, in the Federated States of Micronesia. One of the bright spots, however, is the Truk Stop Hotel. The rooms are basic, but everyone from the owners on down really tries their best to make your visit a pleasant one. The hotel has one of the island's best restaurants -- not gourmet dining, but good food, well prepared, and with friendly service. It's a gathering place for the local who's who, as well as hotel guests. I'd recommend this to any visitors to Chuuk. For the business traveller, there's wi-fi in the ocean view rooms.

Room Tip: It's worth a little extra for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mwhitespn
Reviewed February 17, 2012

My 4 nights at Truk Stop were pleasant, if not brilliant. I understand it’s difficult to run a hotel on Chuuk given its remote location and overall “challenging” infrastructure, which apparently results in higher prices/worse value when compared to accommodations offering a similar standard in other places. I was mostly happy with my room which was extraordinarily large, with good and comfortable beds, and otherwise decent furniture. Unfortunately the strangely rubber tile coated floor diminishes quite a bit of the room’s charm. I wasn’t too happy with the bathroom, not so much because of its basic nature, but the fact that it was strangely smelly throughout my entire stay. As a single occupant there’s a small discount per night for the room, but it’s not substantial. Two complaints are that you have to pay extra per day for the use of the in-room TV, and that internet is only available in the restaurant but not in the rooms. Many people come to Chuuk exclusively for scuba diving, and when that’s done for the day there really aren’t too many distractions around to keep you occupied. In that sense WIFI in the room would have been welcome. The restaurant is pleasant enough and serves good food, if at what I found to be rather high prices at dinner time. Lunch and the twice-weekly brunches are a good deal, and the in-house bakery produces nice pastry too. Truk Stop’s staff was very pleasant and helpful. Just make sure to have a confirmed booking for BOTH your room as well as any scuba diving you want to do. I guess other than business people the majority of guests at the Truk Stop are there for scuba diving, and while I did mention my desire to scuba dive on all days during my stay at the time I had made my reservation, this detail was apparently not communicated to the in-house dive shop. I only learned about this after my arrival and was lucky to get on a dive boat during the next couple of days. The dive shop is accommodating, fairly-priced, and professionally run by the way.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Lucas K

Been to Truk Stop Hotel? Share your experiences!