“Just perfect!”

Ginger and Garlic Restaurant
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Timaru's premiere dining destination. With stunning views over Caroline Bay and the Timaru port. Join Ginger and Garlic for the finest example of local produce accompanied by South Canterbury's largest selection of wines, cocktails and liqueurs. Treat yourself, you deserve it.
Christchurch
“Just perfect!”
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Thankyou Thankyou, what a wonderful experience. The food, presentation and service was impeccable. Having dined at many restaurants I have to say that this is one of the best.
For my entree i had Fried calamari rings w chilli coriander noodles and a citrus dressing. Talk about melt in the mouth; a perfect blend of flavours. I couldn't get away from the pork for my main and am happy with my decision- perfectly cooked with diverse flavours that again blended well together. The desert had to be the most creative- a very unique homemade Black forest dessert pasta w berry compote, chocolate ganache and vanilla sugar - delicious!!
Anyone looking for genuine hospitality then dine at Ginger & Garlic. I noticed there was a criticism about the waiters serving the pepper. In my view I think this adds value and enhances the personalised service that they are trying to create. There are too many restaurants trying to take this element away. I take my hat off to anyone bringing some traditional service aspects back into fine dining.
Anyone in Timaru or passing through, stop at Ginger and Garlic and be pleasantly surprised!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great Restaurant - famously recommend to all!”
Reviewed June 13, 2008

Great Restaurant - famously recommend to all!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A7079BPjasonc, Owner at Ginger and Garlic Restaurant, responded to this review, January 14, 2016
Thank you so much, we definitely recommend dining with us too
Auckland, New Zealand
“Best restaurant in Timaru?”
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Visited on cold night, warm and welcoming. Food was good for the most part, my pork dish was a tad boring tho. Steak dish (it was lightly smoked) and then cooked was divine. Desserts good - but the pastry in the trio of tarts was a bit too well cooked.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. The menu has come a long long way since your visit