“Sleepless night.”
Review of Grosvenor Hotel

Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed Friday and Saturday night. Saturday night there was a live band down in the bar area. Being very serious, I could hear it as if the sterio was on in my room from 7pm - 1.30am! Not only that, the Bass of the music vibarated through the walls making the door jiggle and cups and saucers clatter every single beat. It sounded like hardcore rock music. I'm not a complainer but after a few hours of this I wanted to pull my hair out. I was travelling with my 11 year old cousin from out of town for a badminton tournament. I went to change rooms but noone was manning the reception area. Next morning i politely told the reception lady the situation and wanted discount. She told me there are ear plugs in the room for that reason!!!! hahahahaha. NO LIE. (no ear plugs in my room) Sadly she didnt have authority to change the room rate and management dont come onto the premisis on Sundays. I just paid and left. If you like a late night with live music go ahead! Also they say its been done up but thats been done with a tight budget, the bathrooms have not been touched, and the hallways have creepy hand painted massive faces with bright 70's style colours everywhere. Staff nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank barcool

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very impressed with the hotel and its refurbishment. We stayed in room 101 and it was was very spacious and modern. For $220 we paid we got a 2 course meal and cooked breakfast, which was called the Queens package.

The staff were friendly and helpful, being winter it was quiet but that is how we liked it.
The evening meal ws lovely and breakfast TGB was huge.

Well done Grosvenor!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynnie1958
Reviewed June 14, 2011

booked two rooms for one night, rooms good value for money paid $120. per room the rooms faced the back of the hotel, so was abit noisey when the staff emptied the bottles in the rubbish. Got up in the morning to cold showers in both rooms informed the young lady in the office she informed us that everybody was up early and they used all the hot water, we said that wasn't good enough and asked for some to be taken off the price she refused.
On the good side food in bar was good and they kept serving late into the night, which was great as we were late back in after the rugby.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank laurice b
wiredfrog, Owner at Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Hi there, hot water issue is no more. Now, we have SEVEN gigantic commercial hot water cylinders for the Grosvenor. The amount of hot water available is enough for two hundred people and MORE! Humans are creatures of habit and in the past, our system was good enough for forty nine rooms BUT what happened is that customers tended to take shower at the same time. We look forward to serve you folks again in forseeable future. Ping~

Reviewed December 31, 2010

stayed here one night en route between Dunedin and Christchurch. Hotel is tucked away down a small side street a few minutes walk from the town centre. If you're looking for an experience of a typical NZ pub/hotel then this is it - the rooms are smallish and basic and have interesting interior decor - the bathroom was a thin corridor and getting to the room needed navigating down a few corridors. Was noisy late in the evening as other guests returned from the bars etc. No frills type of place. If I was to stay in Timaru again I'd look to be closer to the beach at Caroline Bay though.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank nickworld08
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Charming old building Hope it will be tastfully done up Hand rail in shower would be good confortable bed good breakfast polite staff nice and warm

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank stef030
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I used to stay in this hotel a lot for business before the rennovations, so I was curious to see how it had changed. What a huge surprise, it is looking amazing. The foyer is almost unrecognizable, as is the TGB bar. The rooms have been nicley renovated, although the bathroom seemed to be largely original, but still clean and tidy nonetheless. Good to see earplugs in the room, I have travelled a lot and have never seen this before. Overall, great value for a great hotel, friendly staff, great bar, and the best location for entertainment.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Newman121
Reviewed March 30, 2010

As a corporate traveller that is out of town a minimum of two days every week I am so happy to able to say that The Grosvenor Hotel is one of the most welcoming and best value hotels that I stay in. The staff are very warm, friendly and helpful. Nothing is to much trouble for them. I have special needs meal wise and they are always only too happy to accomodate my special requirements. On that note, my most recent meal was Sweet and Sour Pork, whilst my colleague had the Pork Belly. I can honestly say that tis was the best prepared and cooked Pork that we have had. The rooms are very warm and comfortable with excellent facilities. Both NO8 Wired and TGB bars are a great experience, even when travelling alone there is always a warm friendly face to chat to. They also have an awesome gaming room that has a great range of machines (it was a finalist in the 2009 HANZ Gaming Room of The Year). It is a very safe enviroment to relax and have fun in. Overall, I would highly recomend this venue for all types of travellers.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business