“Enjoyable!!!!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I recently had a meal at the lone star and our table enjoyed all the meals..I had the sirlion steak with the jack daniels cracked pepper sauce and it was delicious....steak was perfectly cooked....The kids meals are really good....will be back for sure...

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Omg first time there tonight thought it might be quietish but definitely not..the decor is fantastic, the staff are extremely well trained quick and efficient, and as for the meals absolutely no complaints there except for over indulging !!! A must !

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We had been here shortly after they opened November, 2013 for a drink and bar snacks. The drinks were excellent and the snacks OK so we went back for dinner mid-December.

Big mistake.

My partner had the rib stack and I had the ribeye with "Jack Daniels sauce". Both dishes over $30 and both barely palatable. The sauce on the not-very-meaty ribs was pretty tasteless. The sauce on the steak was a thick dark tan glop that added nothing to the meat. The steak itself (ordered and delivered medium rare) was quite chewy with gristle. The "Lone Star slaw" had interesting bits like sunflower seeds but lacked sauce and was a bit like eating raw vegetables.

We were dining at 5:30pm before the place got overwhelmed so I really can not understand the kitchen sending out dishes like this.

While the service was prompt, I think it telling that at no point (during our dinner, after our meal or while paying the bill) did any of the staff inquire if we had enjoyed the meal. I suspect that they have been advised to avoid the topic -- for good reason.

There are many places in Timaru serving tasty food but this is not one of them.