“Old Motel”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Auckland, New Zealand
“Old Motel”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

If you are on a budget, this could be the place for you, but the moment you enter the reception, you can smell the "old-ness" of the place.

the rooms are dated, feels like going into a 1970's hotel

furnishing is basic, the place is not very clean,

the staff are very helpful though.

i did not stay more than 1 night

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Edwin11967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Norfolk
Reviewed February 27, 2010

These were the three questions we asked the lady at check in as we hadn't booked and didn't know about the hotel. I have to say she more than answered them and was helpful throughout our stay (including providing numbers for two different pizza places who would deliver as it was a tropical storm outside when we were there!). Our room was at the back of the hotel, quiet, clean and well maintained. The hotel had a swimming pool, jacuzzi, a dining room and separate bar, wi-fi (NZ$4 for an hour), a DVD library, a do-it-yourself laundry room (the lady behind the desk provided laundry powder) and plenty of parking. The Benvenue was a pleasant surprise and a decent find for a night stay on a trip up the South Island. Whilst not winning any awards it's a God send to the traveller who needs to get some washing done, contact those at home and enjoy a warm spa before dinner.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I have just arrived home from spending 2 nights at the Benvenue. I was very impressed from the moment I arrived. The staff were wonderful, the front desk lady even carried my suitcase up to my room, and thats after she managed to unlock the tricky rental car boot. The room was lovely. I have travelled the world and this room was very well appointed. I had a room with a balcony that had a marvellous view out over Caroline Bay. It was very newly renovated and tastefully done I might add. The room was lovely and clean both days and the staff were always friendly and very helpful. I have read a couple of comments about the noise, but if you book a hotel or motel on New Zealands state highway 1 then I guess you are going to get trucks going past but with the double glazing I must admit that I didnt find the noise a problem. I cant comment on the food myself as I didnt eat there, but while in the lovely warm spa was talking to a gentleman who had two dinners and two breakfasts there and said the food was very delicious!! I hope that this review helps. Thankyou.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Auckland
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Stayed there probably 10 times over six weeks. The service was always great. The renovated rooms are very nice but the unrenovated rooms are below standard. It was freezing when we were there - literally, between -5 and 5 - and they constantly turned the heaters off so the rooms were like a fridge when we got home. I appreciate it probably costs a bit to keep them on all the time but you could at least turn them on before we came back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
New Zealand
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I thought that this hotel looked fantastic on their website - I should have read Tripadvisor first!!! I wanted to treat my family to somewhere comfortable and luxurious on our Timaru holiday since my mother has mobility issues and would be spending a lot of time in our unit. I also wanted somewhere quiet so was looking forward to their double glazing. We booked the two bedroom unit and I was devastated on arrival to discover it was virtually underground, noisy and stuffy. It was only five metres from the busy main road so the double glazing wasn't enough. Someone had obviously smoked in the unit and we had to open all the windows thus increasing the noise. They had also smoked in bed and I struggled with sleeping on the smelly mattress. The unit looked like a cheap motel unit and in no way resembled the photos on their website. The only positive was the lovely pool and spa area. We only lasted one night (and that only because they would have charged me for it anyway) before we moved to a luxurious motel (Avenue motel) which was far superior to the Benvenue and much cheaper!!! My advice: avoid this place unless you are really desperate.

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Timaru hotels

North Somerset
Reviewed May 24, 2008

We stayed here for one night on our way from Marlborough to Queenstown. The hotel is pretty basic, and even though it seemed like it was almost empty, we were given a pretty badly located room right next to the bar kitchens. The fixtures have seen better days, and there seemed to be several newer similar motels around which probably would offer better rooms for a similar price.

• Liked — Pretty cheap
  • Disliked — Room fixtures and fittings pretty dated
  • Stayed May 2008
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 9, 2008

This place was reccommended to us by a friend who said it would be perfect for a girls weekend away - upon looking on the website it did in fact look exactly what we were after! 3 bedroom motel unit with its own garage and all the mod cons etc. There were actually a lot of issues with our stay - mainly the lack of interest/customer service skills of the staff (on more than one occasion it seemed to be the actual owners we were dealing with) there was no stereo or radio in the room dispite it being listed on website, there was hair all over the floor in the shower before we'd even used it! The garage was used as some sort of storage area for their junk and could barely fit the car in it as there was old fridges, washing machines and obsurd amounts of boxes of old tea pots and other crockery from floor to ceiling. There was no freezer in the room so we had no where to put our ice and other frozen goods which we had bought with us and the bar staff seemed hugely put out by us asking for a couple of bowls of ice from them when ours had all melted! And we had specifically asked for a late check out (which was agreed upon via email previously) but the male owner rang us at 9.55am to "remind" us we had to be out soon and when I explained that we had a late check out he was rather abrubt about it on the phone! All in all very unimpressed with the Benvenue they couldnt have made us feel less welcome which I find somewhat amusing as we seemed to be the only people staying in the complex that whole weekend.... Wonder Why!!

• Liked — Main Room had its own ensuite and LCD tv
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends