“Oh dear gone back to old days”

Fusion Restaurant Cafe & Bar
Ranked #2 of 80 Restaurants in Timaru
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a casual dining restaurant producing seasonal menus of New Zealand produce with international flavours.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

A very disappointing meal this evening. A new menu that is confused - really steak with peanut sauce and black bean and garlic, cucumber and gherkins?? Had the fish and chips, hand cut fries that were soggy wedges from a deep fryer and soggy battered fish, and coleslaw that tasted like it had a Bidvest dressing. $26 - would have rather spent $10 at the local fish and chip shop. Husband said his meal was mediocre as well. Service ok, say what needs to be said but didn't really feel they would have cared had i complained anyway. Don't plain to go back anytime soon. Disappointing as it has been good for such a long time. Simplify - good food cooked well with good flavours, why over complicate with bizarre combinations. No wonder the restaurant was so empty. With the new competition in town .... Know where we will be trying next time.

1  Thank MrsC32

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had read about this restaurant on Trip Advisor and so, overall, expectations were high. We were not disappointed. I had belly of pork for an entrée and for $15 was excellent value - large portion and in fact that, and a dessert, would probably have done me. However, I followed on with the duck which was tender and flavoursome. I was pleased to see that vegetables accompanied the mains. After 2 bottles of delicious Pinot Noir shared between the 5 of us we felt relaxed enough to throw caution from our waistlines and indulged in the desserts. I had the baked cheesecake which was completely yummmmm. Discussion with the others seemed that I probably was most pleased with my choices. The oysters with bacon were apparently a little too soy flavoured. And the salmon dish was alongside something vegetable stewy-ish which she didn't feel balanced the dish well. The service was fabulous. There was a very large group there the night we went (20+ people) but they had everything extremely well organised and didn't hold up our meal at all. The only complaint I'd make is that acoustically it was very loud. The noise from the large group next to us just talking and enjoying themselves tended to bounce off the walls and ceilings and made conversation at our table difficult. But we were so focused on our delicious food it wasn't that important. Will definitely return.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Was recommended this restaurant by local hotelier. Exactly what we enjoy when dining out. Friendly staff, quick service. Menu exquisite - can see why they have won all those awards.

1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I went for lunch here and were blown away by not only the service but also the food. The taste and presentation could not be faulted. I had pumpkin soup that had asian/thai flavourings I think and my husband had a fish stew. It was full of fresh fish and tomato flavourings and my husband commented that it was the best he has ever had. That means high praise.
Congratulations to the chef and the lovely waitress who served us. Will be definitely back

1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

There were 4 of us and so we were seated by the window. We had to ask one of the wait staff if we could order some drinks and then 5 mins later a staff member took our order. It seemed a bit chaotic which was odd as it wasnt packed. When it came time to order our meals we had a couple of questions about what was on the menu- fish of the day, specials etc but the reply was "this is my first day and i have no idea".
There was no offer of going to the kitchen to find out until we asked if she could.
The food was absolutely delicious but it was such a pity we were let down by the service. We have been here many a time and never encountered this.

Mrlgb, Owner at Fusion Restaurant Cafe & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

we at fusion thank you for comments on the food & understand everyone is entitled to their personal opinions but is it really fair to review a young person seeking employment on their very first shift & who is on a 90 day work trial ?
please note that this young persons employment opportunity has come about after one of our most placid & polite waitresses left the restaurant during evening service bawling her eyes out after serving a previous reviewer ralexr & is now pursuing employment in a completley different industry
Thank you Lindsay Bennett Chef / owner ph 03 6888 550