“This is the friendliest, most relaxed lodge I have ever visited”

Parklands Motor Lodge Timaru
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Freedom, New Hampshire
“This is the friendliest, most relaxed lodge I have ever visited”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I have been traveling to Timaru from the States on business for many years now. During my first visit to Timaru in 1996, I happened upon the Parklands Motor Lodge largely by accident. I was first attracted by the location with easy walking access to parks, the beach, restaurants and downtown shopping. I ended up staying for 2 months then and have been returning now for 14 years. My average duration of stay is about 2 months and as a "spoiled American", I can honestly say that Deb and Gerry always make me feel comfortably at home. I always highly reccommend the Parklands to my American and Kiwi friends. None have been dissapointed and I expect none ever would. Best value in Timaru as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My partner and I stayed in this motel for a period of 1 week, for the purpose of business travel.
Upon entering the room we quickly discovered an odour, but dismissed it immediately, we found the kitchen was smaller than a walk in wardrobe, with the tiny fridge located in such a way that the guest would have to awkwardly shuffle doors to gain access.
The bathroom was overly large and probably the best feature of the room itself.
The website for Parklands states ' a modern decor ' where actually the decor is outdated and tacky.
Being situated on state highway 1 the road noise is excessive, with it being at the base of a small hill and just beyond a set of lights, the noise from trucks and louder vehicles taking off is almost enough to keep you awake at night.
If you intend on cooking in any of these rooms, we suggest you invest some of your precious time into carrying out some serious cleaning, as a floor that needs vacuuming, a few dishes(rinsed) and a couple of dirty towels plus an unmade bed apparently constitutes an extra $100 cleaning bill on top of the rate you already pay.
All in all, if you are looking for a decent room, with friendly management, and are looking for a 'kiwi experience', this motel is definitely not for you.
We would never consider staying here again, even if it was the only room available in town.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business