“Tasty bites, full of variety”

Coast - Bites and Brews
Ranked #5 of 46 Restaurants in Orewa
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Coast Bites and Brews is a craft beer bar based in the beautiful seaside town of Orewa, 35 minutes north of Auckland. Brother bar to Deep Creek Brewing in Browns Bay. We have a full range of our own handmade craft beer as well as guest beers from all over New Zealand available. With a full menu for both adults and the kids there is something for the whole family.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We chose this restaurant from the variety of food on the menu. Had looked at a few on our walk around Orewa and they were able to fit us in early on a Saturday evening. My husband is vegetarian and the menu clearly identified those options. The Puhoi Cheese platter to share was more than generous in cheeses and dips, we did have to order more bread though as it was so yummy, fresh, warm and just right. I had lamb bites on skewers, cooked to perfection with tzatziki dip. We could have ordered more in the savoury department but the desserts were beckoning. I had the Chocolate Indulgence and the brownie was to die for, a little more ice cream would have been good but I managed to pinch some from my husband as he had the Rocky Road sundae. It's a shame that we don't drink beer as some of those sounded delicious. Great service and great atmosphere. I hope they do have the extention finished by summer as it will be hard to get a table otherwise.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stopped by this this place one sunny lunchtime in Orewa, sitting outside, over the road from the beach. It's a different type of eating experience, where you order small tapas like dishes to share. The waiter was very helpful explaining how it all worked. Tasty ribs, kebabs, quasadillas, wings, all coming out on wooden platters, dressed with salads and breads and dips, and washed down with a great selection of micro brewery beer and cider! Will definitely be back.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Staff were very friendly and allowed us to have a small taster of each of their beers. We ordered the Ribs... they were not as big as at Deep Creek in Browns bay. But were very tasty and enough for two.
We enjoyed the evening here outside under a warm gas out door heater.
We will go back.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is a review with two sides - on the positive the Coast (and Orewa in particular) has been crying out for a classy gastro pub like this. It will succeed, I believe, because there is little competition. The beers are good, Deep Creek craft offerings. The food is delicious too.

On the downside, and it unfortunately is the biggest factor for us, there are few food options for lunch. When I was there with my family we ordered a couple of the platters - expensive but ok for a larger group; there is quite a bit of food on the platters so this was ok for a group of 5 adults... but for my wife and I as a couple, it wouldn't work for us - the menu for a lunch is very limited other than the platters. A big steak meal? Not always what you want at noon. Also the platters do tend to feature a lot of spicy meats which not everyone wants. The meat platter seemed to have spicy everything, almost, and my wife couldn't find much to eat as she doesn't enjoy hot food.

Also Coast does occupy a very small space in terms of indoors. Outdoors is the option if the weather allows, and granted it is a great spot on a nice day although it's hard to say much about the atmosphere since the vibe comes from Orewa itself rather than the establishment.

So - love the concept, would LOVE to go there again but because of the limited menu it probably won't happen (in May we went back with the intention of staying for lunch but having checked the menus we moved on). I would ask the owners to consider more individual-based lunch choices in which case we would happily go back.

By the way I am pretty sure they don't take reservations. This presents a risk if you go there with a group.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We popped in here on Saturday afternoon around 4.30pm for an early evening snack. Its a really friendly place and the staff are very welcoming. Upon closer inspection though most of the 'empty' tables were actually reserved for people coming in between 5.30 - 7pm - so we were lucky to be able to grab one of the free tables. The menu is interesting and varied and the food was good. I have to say - I was cold sitting at the table we were given - they could certainly benefit from having some heating on for the front of house. Other than that, the service was great, there was a good choice of drinks and we will probably go back and visit again.