“Yummy Orewa restaurant”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Browns Bay, New Zealand
“Yummy Orewa restaurant”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This venue has had a few incarnations over the years, and Casablanca is the best yet! Orewa is growing up, the pedestrian friendly boulevard links the beach to the town and where better to chill out than a restaurant opposite beautiful Orewa beach with a few mezze plates and a nice drink....Casablanca ticks the box.
Atmosphere is busy and bubbly, staff attentive.
Food nicely presented, calamari, haloumi bruschetta, falafel, tabouleh and another dish I cant remember....but all great washed down with "bellini", peach schnapps with bubbles! Price was reasonable $115 for 3 people!
Only negative comment....get rid of the silly little "puff" stools to sit on.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Welcome”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Busy but we were warmly welcomed in this very well appointed restaurant. We travel to NZ frequently, our grandchild live here, usually stay in Orewa and have seen restaurants come and go. This is a keeper. Food well prepared and very tasty to say the least. Service couldn't have been better and prices are fair for what you get. A very nice night out.

Visited October 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A very welcome contemporary and stylish new eatery”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I'm very impressed as well - this style of restaurant is much needed on the Coast... in fact its missing across all of North Auckland! Greek and turkish food is my favourite so I do have genuinely high expectations of this style of cuisine.

We went in their opening week and walking in felt like a breath of fresh air - love the Middle Eastern/Mediterranean inspired decor and the ambience it created. The atmosphere was great, loved the fresh air coming from the sea and really enjoying reading the menu and deciding what to get. Definitely something for everybody.

I ordered the mezze platter and really enjoyed the hummus and yoghurt dip. So much bread and salad too. Not so much of a fan of the third dip of taramasalata but my mum loved it and it reminded her of the same dip her eastern european mother made when she was a child. My dad got the steak stewers on a potato and eggplant mash - totally gorgeous and I was lucky enough to take a leftover skewer home. This was good quality meat cooked to perfection on a charcoal - smokey, tasty, tender and medium rare. My mothers turkish lamb pizza was delicious, in fact I liked it so much I tried to recreate at home a few days later but with a gluten free base. My toddler daughter got a massive bowl of fries with salad and sauce and sat quietly the whole meal working her way through them. So much food we couldn't eat it all (and we are not small eaters) so they kindly put it in takeaway containers for us. They also had a childrens menu with pictures for colouring in and colouring pencils so suitable for children also.

The service was great even though our waitress was brand new - her earnestness made up for the lack of experience/confidence and the staff were really helpful and kind.

This place looks deservedly popular - next time I come back I will definitely be trying a tagine!

• Visited September 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“New restaurant in Orewa, definitely worth a visit”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Very impressed with this newcomer on the relatively ordinary restaurant scene in Orewa.

Food was presented very attractively and tasted as good as it looked. We ordered several small plates which we shared. Calamari, chilli prawns, falafels and haloumi and tomato bruschetta. Others at our table shared tender lamb shanks and couscous, mezzo platter and mussels. All were good.

We had jugs of sangria with our food, very nice!

Place was really busy and you definitely had to book.

Only disappointment was that we had booked a table for 8 but were squished on a table that really only comfortably sat 6.

We'll be back.