“Home away from home. Arrived as strangers, left as good friends.”
Review of Dakune Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ohakune
Dakune Lodge
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I would recommend (and have done on my facebook page) this beautiful place and friendly hosts to anybody who wishes a quiet, comfortable and relaxed place to stay. I've stayed at Dakune lodge many times on business over the past year and have been very impressed with the value for money I have enjoyed, and having Nic and Tasha as excellent hosts has made my stay all the more enjoyable! I will be back this winter with my family for a weekend of skiing as I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Can't wait to try out the spa and sauna, whilst my kids enjoy the multitute of games on offer..........

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas C, Manager at Dakune Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Wow! Amazing feedback. Thank you so much. However ... A word of warning. Winter weekends here are not as quiet if the mountain is closed. We sometimes do kids cooking lessons or play various games which can get quite noisy at times. Summers are peaceful .... but winter tends to be a bit more up beat.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We recommend this place. We have stayed at the Dakune Lodge 3 times and are going back this school holidays. We feel totally at home. The hosts and facilities are great. Spa, sauna, pool table, large shared area with an open fire, and lots of games.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

thanks so much for taking the time to place feedback. It is really good to know your whole family feel relaxed and enjoy all we have to offer. See you again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Wonderful hosts and location would recommend to anyone. Love the kitchen and dining area. Nice clean spa. Yummy free range eggs from their chickens! Good facilities for drying clothes. Nice warm lodge.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come again anytime you are in the area.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

What a suprise and a joy to have found some similiar experiences that we've had in this place. It is all fine except the attitude of the guy (grandpa age). When we arrived there, we were not sure which way was the entrance and my husband and I went in two different entrances. The owner guy soon followed me and asked at once who I'm looking for (as if he's suspicious of me), no greetings at all. I said I was looking for my husband. So, the first impression wasn't good at all.
The facilities were fine. The communal area was fine. It is just that atmosphare that they put on. Something uncomfortable... It seems the woman is fine like other reviewrs mentioned. When we used the spa at night, we were sharing jokes and me and our daughter laughed and giggled quietly, we thought. Soon, the guy literally "told us off'" for laughing! It was very unpleasant. The whole atmosphare is like you've got to be VERY carefull in this place. We're not going back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank seaofpoppy
Nicolas C, Owner at Dakune Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your response, Feedback is always helpful to enable us to improve our facilities.

Since you were here we have put up clear signs to indicate the way to the main entrance and I do apologise if you felt uncomfortable when you arrived. We pride ourselves on being easy going and do our best to look after our guests and make them feel welcome.

The spa pool is turned off at 10pm and anyone still in it after then is asked to replace the lid when they have finished and to be quiet as the bedrooms are close by and noise carries at night. I am sorry if you were offended by this but we do have to consider all our guests in this aspect.

If you ever took the chance to come back we would endeavour to make your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed for three midweek nights at the lodge and can not recommend it enough. The facilities were great, the lodge was very comfortable and the price is right.
As a lodge it has everything you might need, including a large communal area with a large fireplace.
In complete contrast to other reviewers we were all made to feel right at home. NIcolas and Tasha (and the pets!) could not have been more welcoming.

Our children thought they were at their grandparents. They even got our son to eat some vegetables (with the really great home cooked food) and that takes some doing.

We will certainly stay at the lodge again if we ever make it back to NZ.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay.

When I cook for families I try to make food tasty for everyone, not just the adults. As with 6 kids and 2 grandchildren of our own I have had plenty of practice in getting them to eat their greens!

Nicolas and I would love to see you all if ever you come this way again.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Nice facilities but it would be much more comfortable if the guy who runs it left it to his wife to deal with the guests. To say that the guy doesnt like children would be an understatement. The way he acts I get the feeling that he doesnt like people at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Piha160

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback so that we can find out how to improve what we offer.

I am really sorry you feel children are not welcome here when quite the opposite is true – we provide many facilities just for them.

Nicolas and I work very hard to look after the interest of everybody in our communal home. Occasionally we have to step in to keep an even keel, especially when children get into mischief when left unsupervised (we know this from our own kids). Keeping everybody happy … all the time, can be a mission.

I apologize if Nicolas came across this way, but I'm pleased you found me OK and that you thought the facilities are nice.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Lovely lodge with big open fire, comfortable and warm. Facilities were clean. Everything was great except the man who runs the place didn't really like children and actually ending up making our kids cry. If children are not welcome, then perhaps they should ban them? They have a pool table which is great for teenagers and a ping pong table...needs to be a sign up if kids aren't allowed to use these. Also, man was grumpy with us for not having our keys but we weren't told that we needed them to access the building (and not just our rooms). Owner's wife was very pleasant. Overall, place was great, owner was grumpy.

Room Tip: family room has double bed and bunks - good
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank LiselAuckland

Thank you for placing feedback on us – we do value it.

Regarding the delayed response, we have only recently become involved with Trip Advisor and were unaware of the feedback.

We try our best to make everybody's experiences with us safe and comfortable in a relaxed, shared environment, and children are most welcome here as long as they are supervised.

My husband verbally stopped a potentially dangerous situation in the games room with smaller children, who were unsupervised. This was done after asking them to stop more than once previously. I feel this was justified, though it made them cry. Better that than causing damage or injury to themselves.

We have since put up a sign in the games room stating that all children under 13 be supervised.

For younger children we have always had books,toys, games, puzzles and DVD's available to keep them amused.

As far as the problem with the keys went, I'm not sure what the problem was except to say that someone is on site 24 hours a day.

I am sorry you felt Nicolas was grumpy. He has a dry sense of humour and maybe it didn't come out quite right … and school holidays can be wearing although that is no excuse.

I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay ….. including the huge Birthday cake that I made for your party.