“LKNZ Rules”
Review of LKNZ Lodge

LKNZ Lodge
Reviewed December 4, 2012

After a shaky start in 2011, the 2012 season got off to a flying start with new, somewhat northern hemisphere management! Friendly and with attentive service, this lodge represents excellent value. I almost hesitate to give it a good review because it might fill it up too much next year! The only negative? Still no handles on the sliding ensuite doors in the luxury lodge building. Shock horror.

Room Tip: I cant tell you this because I might want it. You will work it out though!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Julian W

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We rolled in during the off-season, that is, summer, not winter. While other places pretended they had more guests than they did to try to manipulate us into higher prices, LKNZ did not. We were the only poeple staying there, I am sure. I found it straightforward, clean, and friendly. The wife liked it, so that sold me. That said, we were not asking for much. This is not staying at the Ritz, by any means, but if you are just looking for clean and no hassle, this is not a bad bet.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our school team of 5 students and 4 adults from Spotswood College, New Plymouth stayed at LKNZ for 3 nights late September. We were competing in the North Island Secondary Schools Snowboarding competition held each year for North island schools.
Staff at LKNZ were so very helpful right from when we first made our booking - the lodges were blocked out so that just school groups could stay during the competition, so several school groups were at the lodge. Due to unforseen circumstances we needed to change our booking a couple of times and this was no problem and staff were so understanding and held bookings for us.
We stayed in Matai Lodge (red building) and this was excellent accommodation - bunks in each room that accommodated 4 people, heaps of bathrooms, plenty of hot water and very warm - actually too warm and I couldn't turn the radiator off in my room!! As Team Manager I even had a room all to myself - such luxury. Drying room, kitchen, communal area with large screen TV, X box, pool table; small bar for the adults.
Our package included bed (bring own sleeping bag) plus all meals - breakfast, packed lunch, afternoon tea and dinner - such a great arrangement for school groups.
Thanks so much to the new Managers - we will definitely be back again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have just been to LKNZ Lodge for the long weekend this October. Now, I have to,say, I am not usually a girl who stays in hostels - quite often I may be mistaken for being high maintenance due to my love of fancy hotels but my friends had booked this, and I was coming along to try my hand at skiing for the first time...
Anyway, by the end of this trip, I was telling everyone how much I loved it here and how I looking forward to staying here again (and not just because I had managed to ski without falling down too much!)
We had a long long drive from auckland and arrived at almost 11pm - we were warmly met by Mandy who was so lovely and friendly! She gave us really clear directions to where we were staying (in the hostel section, a couple of buildings away) and where we could park our car etc. Our room was the typical bunkbeds - but with great linen that was really cosy plus a radiator that was very warm! The shared bathroom was very clean and tidy too!
We didn't use the kitchen but did note that it was clean and tidy and had the full complement of what you would expect a kitchen to have! The flat screen tv was an added bonus, and although we didn't use it, we noticed that quite a few people were watching DVDs on it when it was a really rainy morning.
LKNZ Lodge offered hot and cold breakfast (we had the bacon and egg buttie which was just the thing for a long day of skiing!) and the coffees were good too! There were drinks in the evening, all of which were only $5 - bargain! Plus the was Xbox (we thought we were pretty amazing at rockstar3 - thanks Mandy for helping us achieve that amazing-ness!) and all the staff we met were so helpful with everything! They obviously have a great working relationship with other people in town as when we asked about ski hire, we were referred to a great ski shop (and given a card for VIP service and a discount) and when we asked about where to go out for a coffee and cake, again we were sent to a brilliant restaurant with another VIP card - and both places were outstanding! And on our last day, we got some great advice about what to do as the ski fields were closed due to the weather - again great advice!
Thanks so much for making our weekend brilliant! LKNZ Lodge was a big part of the great weekend we had at Mt Ruapehu!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had a great stay at LKNZ recently with some mates on a ski trip.

We stayed 4 nights in a family room which had a a double bed and bunks and our own ensuite (and great mountain views) - which was a huge surprise as most back packer lodges I have stayed in seem pretty basic. But this place had obviously been upgraded recently as we were in a brand new building. (ask to stay in the black building)!!!

It only cost us around $30 each per night which was the cheapest stay we had while in NZ.

Great common areas to hang out in, foose ball tables, classic circular pool table, big screen TV's, xbox, etc.

Staff were young, helpful and friendly and there was always something going on around the lodge.

Definitely recommend this place as its really modern, and new.

Room Tip: Ask for the black building when booking, and get the mountain view rooms!! great view of Mt Ruapehu.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked a room in one of the newer private double rooms with an ensuite (upstairs in the main building), NOT a backpacker room. When I arrived there was no receptionist at the desk, at 3:00pm on a Saturday. Hmmm. So I walked around to the back of the reception area where there were two girls sitting around a laptop playing with Facebook. I asked them, "where is the receptionist?" and they pointed to a couch nearby where she was *sleeping on the couch* covered with a blanket. She got up and came to the front desk to check me in. This was the first bad sign. Very unprofessional. I had made a reservation months before online. She checked on her computer and announced "oh yeah, you're checking in tomorrow." Huh? I had a copy of the reservation from my email so I showed it to her. "We're checking in today," I insisted, and knew I was right. Much confusion ensued and their excuse was that there are two different booking systems, and the online bookings get transferred to their local system, with the potential for human error of course. Yeah. Real professional guys. All the private rooms were full, so they offered to let us stay in one of their backpacker rooms, which we really didn't want, but we reluctantly accepted since everything else in town was full. I asked for a discount but they only gave us $30 off the original $99 we paid, and had to stay one night in their tiny little bunk room with shared showers. Not what we expected at all. I really wanted to rip them a new one but since it was the only place in town to stay that night, we didn't have any choice.

The staff were *extremely* slow at arranging all this. Now I know people in NZ are laid-back, but this was too much. They were friendly, but at the same time lazy and unresponsive. We finally moved into the room we paid for the next day. At least it was clean, functional, and quiet. We couldn't figure out how to use the heater, so we went to ask but the staff were often missing from the front desk, nowhere to be found. The reception area was sometimes locked at unexpected hours, like during the day or evening (not just late at night). Our cellphones didn't work in NZ so we couldn't call them on the number listed either. Eventually--and this took many hours--we found out that the heaters are all controlled on a timer and you CANNOT set the temperature to your preference. That was almost a deal-breaker for us. Fortunately it wasn't very cold when we were there, but be warned. The staff said this with an attitude like "yeah, mate, yeah that's the way it is, mate." Really disappointed with the customer service and unprofessionalism.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed there a few weeks ago. I was only intending on spending 1 night but ended up staying 5. A very new and modern hostel still with the smell of new leather. One of the most modern hostels I've stayed at. Simon was awesome and very nice, full of lots of local knowledge. Hope to return soon.
- Richard, Australia

• Stayed: January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ohakune
Powderhorn Chateau Mount Ruapehu
#2 of 6 in Ohakune
The Hobbit Motorlodge
The Hobbit Motorlodge
#8 of 22 in Ohakune

Been to LKNZ Lodge? Share your experiences!