“Open water course, just great”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Al Boom Diving

Al Boom Diving
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Fujairah
More attraction details
Owner description: Al Boom Diving has PADI IDC Centres in Dubai in Atlantis The Palm; in Jumeriah 1; Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo and in the Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa; in Fujairah at Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort; and in Dibba Musandam. Daily diving with transport with our bus fleet, from Dubai to at all of our locations is available.
Moscow, Russia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Open water course, just great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Was there a week ago, good water, great staff, very professional. It's a bit far from Dubai (around 2 hours) but diving experience was very good.

Visited May 2013
AlBoomDiver, Front Office Manager at Al Boom Diving, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Frederik

Thank you for your kind comments about Al Boom. we do appreciate the time you take to post this, and I will pass on your comments to all the staff involved.

Good luck with your diving, enjoy and keep learning. There are always things to learn and we hope that now you have started diving you will continue to do so.

Safe bubbles
Bruce

• Arabic first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good company , good diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Found Al Boon to be a very helpful and informative company. Dived with them a couple of times and hired all the equipment minus computer. Took their bus (120AED ) to Fujairah from Dubai. First weekend dived a couple of reefs, Viz on the 2nd one wasn't that great, but not their fault. Following weekend dived Inch 1 & 2 . Shame that on the Inch 1 I went down with a group who were completing the AOWD ,so had to stay with the group, when a little more time would have been appreciated ( the Inchcape 1 is in 30m so you don't have much time anyway) Inchcape 2 is at around 20m , so had more time there.
DM's on both trips were very good and I will definitely be going back to them again, maybe Musandam next time ?

Visited April 2013
AlBoomDiver, Front Office Manager at Al Boom Diving, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Michael

thank you for taking the time to add a report on your trip with Al Boom diving. I am pleased you found our staff great. As you said we cant do anything about the visibility but we try to ensure our customers are safe and have fun while they are here.

Next time you are back, we would love to welcome you on board our Mussandam trips. The dhow on a Friday is always fun, and the diving is fantastic.

Thanks again - take care and we hope to see you soon

Kind regards
Poole, United Kingdom
299 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Good diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Spent a day diving with some people out of Dubai and AbuDhabi at this resort based diving organisation. Two dives cost me seventy quid including lunch which was excellent.

BUT we went straight to 30 metres on the first dive! So not for the faint hearted and really a bit too far, even if like me you have done over 1000 dives. I am happy, but is everyone?

That said the two wrecks we visited were smothered in life, including sea horses, frog fish and even a rare slipper lobster. The guides, most of whom seemed to be from the Philippines were very knowledgable and went to great lengths to point out all the life. They are worth their weight in gold and really made the whole day for me.

Visited March 2013
AlBoomDiver, Front Office Manager at Al Boom Diving, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear PadiP
Thank you for your comments - I am pleased to see all feedback on this as it shows honest opinions.
I can see that you were booked on the Deep and Wreck boat. This is one of our standard dives, and is ideal for AOW divers and higher. Given that you have 1000+ dives, this is an ideal dive for you given your certification level.
Please feel free to contact me on bruce@alboomdiving.ae, as your comment "straight to 30M" is giving me some confusion. This is a dive to a wreck in the middle of the ocean at 30m, so straight to 30m is the only way to reach it.

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff. We have worked with the guys for some time to make them the best dive crew in the area and this work will continue to keep them at the top. Good staff make a good centre, and we aim to get better.

Once again thank you for your review - we wish you safe and happy diving in times ahead

Bruce
Doha, Qatar
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Very professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Did a day trip diving with them to Fujairah. Very professional, did all my booking online thru email with no hassle. Used their bus from their dive shop in Dubai Al Wasl street. Timing was great. Dive guide new the place in Fujairah very well, too bad didn't have time to do some diving in Musandam. I guess just another reason to dive with them again :)

Visited February 2013
AlBoomDiver, Front Office Manager at Al Boom Diving, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Arisantosa
Many thanks for your comments. We certainly try to be the friendliest and most professional dive centre, and its great to know you enjoyed your day.
Mussandam is a spectacular place to dive and we look forward to welcoming you on either our Speed Boat trips or our dhow dive days. Keep an eye on our Face Book page as we have an overnight dhow running soon. 5 dives, 2 days and a night under the stars. We'd love to see you there.
Thanks for your recommendation - we really appreciate your time and kind words.
Safe diving
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wouldn't recommend for beginners...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I did my open water with Al Boom last year, not as a weeks course but over a few different weekends. I have decided to write a review of Al Boom now I have realised what I thought was the norm for how dive centres generally run/train people is not necessarily the case.

The theory side of the training was fine but slightly miscommunicated from the beginning, I remember turning up a little nervously to take our first 2 theory tests only to be chastised as we had not written the review answers into our books. We had not been told to write in the review answers, just to read the material, we had assumed that this was the part we would have to do in the classroom. Me and my husband had read and knew the material, so it was fine and we passed the test but we were made to feel quite stupid/awkward by the instructor.

The general communication was quite poor whenever I rang up to book/confirm our next part of the course I always spoke to someone different who regularly did not appear to be able to confirm a booking I had already made. On one occasion, we had been looking forward to our first pool session that had been booked for a few weeks only to be told that there was no booking. I was confident it had been made (we had even been sent into the office to book it - i had seen her enter it into a spreadsheet for the correct date!) I was not happy so we were told they would sort the issue. What we think actually happened was that the instructor simply had 8 of us to train instead of 6 for pool sessions 1/2/3 (as one long afternoon) which may have been why he came across quite grumpy and unfriendly to everyone!! (- particularly a girl that found the whole thing quite scary so took a little longer than the rest of us) 8 did seem like a large number and we did fill the little pool up quite a lot! - I don't know what the correct ratio of instructor to pupil is?

For every pool, sea and theory session we had a different instructor, which again i thought was completely normal - they made very little effort to get to know us/put us at ease or make sure we were thoroughly confident/happy with every skill and when it came to setting up my equipment I never really felt I knew what I was doing as the initial guy at the first session (with 8 of us) had been so switched off/grumpy and shown us so quickly (saying it was just like the video!) I hadn't really picked it up. I was surprised to learn that someone doing their open water should set up and dismantle their equipment 7 times to prove they are proficent - I'd be surprised if anyone even knew my husband had had to help me in the few times we had to put it together (due sessions being put together as one.) I did feel like it was quite impersonal/just going through the motions but just assumed that was the norm! Whenever we turned up either to the al boom at al aqah or the al boom in dubai, no one ever seemed to welcome us, make us feel like valued customers, or even tell us where anything was- again we simply assumed this was how things worked in this hobby!

We went on a pleasure dive (not with Al Boom) shortly after certifying and were surprised to find after the thorough briefing that we would not be diving with an instructor by our side, this alarmed me and when i spoke to the person running the dive he said that I was certified so shouldn't need a personal instructor as I have shown I was competant at the skills. This rang alarm bells as there was no way Al Boom had equipped me with the confidence/skills to dive with just my husband - something I have since learnt I can do perfectly well now (and should have been able to do then!)

In conclusion I would not recommend Al Boom to learn to dive as to be honest it felt a little like 'a PADI conveyer belt' there are far more personal/friendly/thorough places to take this course, Places where you have one instructor for all your practical sessions - so they really get an overall picture of how you are doing. There are Dive centres that are well organised and interested in improving you as an individual diver and that really care about you having a fun/enjoyable experience that makes you fall in love with diving.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank LittlemissK80
Dear LittlemissK80
I was very disappointed to read that your Open Water course was not what you expected. We strive to be the best dive centre and on this opccasion we have failed your expectations.
Please contact our centre manager on bruce@alboomdiving.ae to discuss your thoughts.

Since August of last year we are working on a ratio of 1 Instructor to 4 students, which goes some ways to address the issues you raised, but Bruce will investigate the other issues when he gets more information from you.

I do hope that your experience has not put you off and wish you safe and happy diving.