“Booked 5 nights, could only stick it for 1” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BC Spa Hotel

BC Spa Hotel
Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Dalyan
Woburn, United Kingdom
“Booked 5 nights, could only stick it for 1”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Dalyan was our final stay during our Turkish holiday, having been to Dalyan before I roughly knew where the BC spa was located and thought it would be good to be just a short walk from town.
On arrival we were instantly struck by how untidy the hard standing area was with building waste and a bit concerned about the poor dog tied up in 40c heat. We proceeded to the reception area to check in. Out of all the villages and towns we had stayed in this was the only pre-paid accommodation we had.
the journey to the room you realise that many of the rooms are going to over look building works as there is so much work going on. You also realise just how crammed together the room blocks are making it quite oppressive.
The pool area with its loud music is quite small for the amount of rooms and the fact there will be many more rooms complete next season means it will be really crowed. The sunbeds (again there wouldnt be enough beds if everyone in the hotel wanted to sunbath) are packed close together, there are no individual shade umbrellas just a large pergola structure with lots of people under it.
This pool are is the main public area, the gardens are not lovingly utilised as chilling area like other hotels.
The BC spa also has move of a large hotel complex feel to it rather than a personal homely feel.
Now when I booked our 'duplex suite' two months earlier I had asked to be placed away from the building works a reasonable request I would assume, wrong. The 'suite' we were shown to not only over looked construction but was shaded by and facing the 20' high 'field' of metal legs holding the solar panels, these in turn had broken hotel furniture scattered around them. We immediately declined the room and refused to accept it. We were told they were full and it had to be this room. Again we refused to accept this. We returned to reception and were given a room recently vacated (a couple checked out early) this was at least only facing the reception wall and looking into the spa beneath us!
The 'suite': small, dark, airless, with extremely bad lighting. The downstairs living area was so dark you had to have the lights on during the day, the patio area was also dark and stifling hot due to the large wooden over hang. The outside light didn't work.
The upstairs bedroom was the most cramped I've ever stayed in. You had to move to one side if the other wanted to pass by. Good luck if you have large suitcases. Again the lighting was appalling.
The bathroom was adverage but there is no way you could comfortably do your make up or shave because of the ridiculous LED strips, these are supposed to be for accent lighting not the only source of light.
My husband and I felt so depressed at the thought of staying here for 5 nights it would have ruined our holiday. I immediately began looking for somewhere else to stay and very luckily found an wonderfull alternative for the following day.
Breakfast: very adverage at best, uncovered food with lots of flies.
I removed my bags at about 1430, dropped the keys back the receptionist who didn't seem surprised with another early check out.
In fact they were quids in as it sounds like they rented it to the Family from Taiwan who have also reviewed the BC Spa.
It was diffently not the place for us, I know it has previous rave reviews but I personally was very unhappy in this dark, cramped, impersonal hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NickiNackiNoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in BC Spa on August 8. we were walk-in guests.
The reception said only one room left for only 1 night. We were very happy and thankful to take it. Later on when we ask if we can have the room with 2 more nights, so total for 3 nights, she checked the computer and say "Yes! " , and helped to keep he room.
We, my sister and I brought our sons, 4 little boys were very grateful, since we
didn't need to move our luggage to another vacant apartment.

Then, On August 9th, the next day morning, after we had the breakfast (not many choices), when we walked pass the reception, a gentleman( later on we realized that he is the "MANAGER" of the hotel) asked us to wait with a serious face( odd, most people we met are smiling) then the receptionist lady came, she talked to the Manager in front of us, we couldn't understand, they spoke in Turkish, after few seconds, the lady said sorry that their computer has problem, there is NO room for us, we need to check out and put our luggage in the lobby until we find the place to stay, but they can let the kids use the pool while we are looking for other hotels. They had tried to call other hotels near by, but all fully booked. And emphasized that the Manager said they didn't charge us for 4 kids.

We have to find hotels by our own under 40 degrees Celsius. We checked the apartment , full
then.

The hotel has a sign on the wall with" the Quality is not a Coincidence" and also with high rate from tripadvisor, pretty ironic.

However the location and room are nice, but when u check in, ensure their computer is workable for your room.

在8/8日入住,因8/8~8/10是齋戒月結束的假期。原本告知只有1晩可住,待入住後,請前台再查是否可多住2晚,待查電腦之後,櫃台小姐說有房,沒問題!

但第2天一早,用完早餐後,在大廳,一位男仕(工作人員,後來知道是經理)很嚴肅地請我們稍等,前臺小姐有事找我們,後來才告知,電腦有問題,我們沒有房間,要求我們退房。

對4星又在tripadvisor上有相當高評價的hotel, 這樣的服務,很難接受!

提醒大家,入住時,確定他們電腦OK,不會影響入住!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank DianaWang47
Alnwick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the BC Spa having had a wonderful holiday. The hotel is very new and although there is development work continuing at the rear of the hotel we were not once disturbed by this. Our duplex room consisted of a bathroom and bedroom upstairs and a living space downstairs with a comfortable sofa bed. Modern air conditioning was unlimited and very effective. The room was cleaned on a daily basis to a very good standard by a lovely cleaner who was very friendly and helpful. Ours was a poolside room near to the reception area, we had an excellent view of the pool and easy access to the quiet poolside bar at all time - the only real noise we experienced during the hours of darkness was the prayer call from the mosque in town which really just added to the whole Dalyan experience. The pool area was never too busy and always very clean and tidy. The small pool really is small and only really suitable for very young children whilst the main pool is quite deep in all areas so not great for non swimmers who aren't closely supervised.
The highlight of this hotel for us was the staff. Every one of them was friendly, attentive and helpful and were wonderful with the children despite there being no real facilities for children. Many of them speak good English and all spoke much more English than I speak Turkish! Any problems we encountered were quickly and efficiently dealt with.
We stayed on a half board basis - for breakfast there was always a wide selection of cheeses, ham, jams, 10 cereals, melon, olives, bread and hard boiled eggs; in addition there was always another choice such as sausages, scrambled egg etc. The evening meal always consisted of a wide range of salads, rice, 2 hot meat choices and a vegetarian choice. Desserts were a little more limited - usually cake type items and always 2 types of melon. Meals were ok although next time we would go bed and breakfast and make more use of the huge number of restaurants in town. The food from the bar at lunchtime was reasonably priced and of a good standard; there was also plenty of it! You could eat meals in the restaurant, next to the pool or next to the river which was beautiful - there are a few stray dogs about but they tend to keep themselves to themselves.
The location of the hotel is excellent. It's only a short walk (5 minutes) into town down the riverside path but far enough out to avoid the hustle and bustle. We had 4 trips out on the first boat for hire ('Rent a Boat' - see separate article for 'Rodoslu Boat') as we walked towards town (1 minute from hotel) which were great days out. It's only a very short boat ride up to the mudbaths and lake and the other way to the tombs.
We used the spa a few times - it was very clean and offered a wide range of treatments, spa pool, steamroom, gym equipment and sauna and was never over busy.
We will certainly consider visiting again!

Room Tip: Poolside duplex rooms are very well located.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul H
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I am not a man who complains a lot...especially about my holidays. I tend to think in terms of Rough with the Smooth and Swings and Roundabouts and try to keep an attitude of that calibre when I am abroad.

However, on this particular holiday I felt that I had to let my feelings known on how this hotel performs it's Half Board services. If you are going to this hotel on a Bed and Breakfast deal.....then the odds are you will enjoy yourself....but if you are going to this hotel on a Half Board basis, then I think you will be deeply disappointed.

The 2 star rating I gave this hotel is purely for the appalling level of service and choice of food.

LIKES: The rooms was OK, the pool was lovely and the spa was really good.....The breakfast was OK and was what you would expect really...the usual cereals and toast and a bit of fruit, cheese etc...not bad to be fair....the only gripe was no juice machines and you had to pay for orange juice at breakfast at 5 Lire per glass (almost £2). The location was very nice and the town of Dalyan was a short walk away...and it was pretty good too.

DISLIKES: The bar /food staff was nice enough but simply didn't seem competent in what they were supposed to be doing.....and their English was pretty bad too. The orange juice (will explain later). The choice of food for the evening meal was simply non existent.... ONE choice of meal only.The apathy of the management of this hotel and their lax attitude to dealing with problems with the customers.......Oh, and they didn't sell ice cream or lollies...you know the magnums and twisters etc etc......which I found pretty odd. I would have thought they could sell van loads of those things in a climate like Turkey

My wife and I paid an extra £360 for the pleasure of eating our evening meals within the walls of this hotel.....that works out at around 78 Turkish Lire per meal (39 Lire each). The very first evening meal we was offered consisted of .... Bowl of Tomato soup, Turkish Mezzon, Meatballs in Tomato Sauce and 2 plums and 3 pieces of melon....that's it...no menu...no choice...take it or leave it............I left it!........I gave the meatballs to the stray dogs.
...... I knew then that we was in for a rough ride where the food was concerned.

As I said above...there was only one choice of meal for the first 6 days or so and it was always one of the cheapest meals on their a la carte menu....priced at around 13 to 17 Lire. Add to that the bowl of warm soup and the fruit dessert...and it would probably top it up to about 23 Lire for each meal...total of 46 Lire. Now stop me if I am wrong here but isn't that about 32 Lire (£10) short of the 78 Lire we paid for these meals?

That means we was overcharged by around £140 for these evening meals for the fortnight. After 6 days of complaints from several people about the poor choice of meals....they started to put a buffet on and to say it was an unbelievable attempt to cover their huge list of inadequacies...would be an understatement. The buffet was almost identical to the first ONE choice meal we had...meatballs in tomato sauce....only this time, we had to serve it to ourselves...and that was the only difference....what a joke. It did improve very slightly with TWO choices on the second buffet but it was poor to say the least.....they also laid on 3 "different" desserts too but to be honest...it looked like the same dessert in 3 different bowls to me.....after the second buffet they reverted back to the ONE choice menu.

Last but not least of my complaints was the orange juice machine.....I love fresh orange juice and I had a few whilst I was there. At the start of our second week I suffered some kind of food poisoning, I had sickness and the other stuff for 3 days which caused me to miss 3 evening meals...so it cost me more than £140 in the long run. Anyway, I realised that it must be the orange juice that was causing the problem...as soon as I stopped drinking it...the problem disappeared. When I was at the bar one day late in the holiday...I saw one of the bar staff bring out a net bag full of oranges from the stockroom for the juice machine, I could clearly see green mould on a lot of the oranges and the others was in a pretty bad state too....no wonder I got the food poisoning from that source. I spoke to a couple of others at the hotel who also had sickness but they thought it was just being abroad that was causing it....and they had had orange juice too....I suppose the hotel must pay less for low grade oranges for juice machines....and the mouldy oranges must be what they get for their money.

Food wise....this is the worst Half Board hotel I have ever stayed in in Europe in the last 35 years or so ....it may have improved due to complaints since we was there...In a 4 star hotel you would expect a menu with at least 4 choices on it each night...it is surely what anybody would expect...is it not? The head waiter "sort of" told me that if I wanted I could have an omelette or a bit of grilled chicken.....instead of what he offered me each night.....but he always sounded like it was too much trouble for him to do it......incredible!

With the apathy shown towards Half Board customers that I witnessed .....I can only assume this establishment puts up with Half Board customers only to maintain their 4 star status.

We took our complaints to the actual owners of this hotel but all I seemed to get was sympathetic facial grimaces...and of course, they did nothing except offer us a choice from their a la carte menu for our very last night there.........as if that one decent meal would make everything alright.

To summarise......nice hotel, nice location.....very poor service and choice of food for H/B customers...Do not book Half Board here...you will pay top prices for meals you would get at half the price and in better restaurants just 5 minutes away. B and B is by far the best option. Need to clean up their act with the orange juice too.....and listen to what their customers have to say....it would help them to develop this place into a desirable place to stay...even at half board!

Room Tip: Ask for poolside rooms with the upstairs and downstairs...they looked pretty good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ray O
Wailuku, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is one of the poorest lit places I've stayed in. I needed a headlight to read. I had trouble shaving in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet is outdoors with food uncovered, so flies hover over it. On the first day the housekeeper didn't show up until 5 pm, while we were there. The place is under construction and they have a dog chained up outside by the pile of stone tiles so nobody steals them, and the dog starts to bark at dawn. In our unit the safe upstairs uses a key attached to the card you put in next to the entry door to get the lights to work. So, to use the safe you do it in the dark with your headlight. Otherwise, the room was new and clean and adequate. We didn't use the spa. The pool was nice though

By the way, I booked this hotel with Expedia, and they emailed me to submit a review. I submitted a similar one and they never published it. I emailed them and they sent me a link of their standards, all of which I met. My conclusion: they rejected it because I didn't give it a good review.Another hotel I booked with them and gave a great review to got published in a few days. I recommend you don't trust their reviews and rely on the honest ones on Trip Advisor.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stephen1500
Horsham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed with my partner for a week. Excellent location close to te town, and on the river. Well laid out pool area and good sized pool. Mostly couples or families with older teenage children staying when we were there (last week in July), which was good as it was mostly peaceful sunbathing round the pool. No facilities for young children so guessing that the are not aiming a te family market. Rooms were adequate, air con unit was modern and excellent. Had problem with drainage smell on day one but the hotel staff did something and it was okay after that. Excellent spa located in the basement, with a good sized indoor pool! Turkish npnassage and other treatments were good value, in very modern surroundings. Pool bar cocktails were poor - the batman needs to take cocktail making lessons. Breakfasts were disappointing; not much choice so we didn't bother going for them after a few days, as a on sequence we didn't try te restaurant; there are many other restaurants along the river, the first only 50 gds away - Prince of Kaunos, which turned Putto e the best in our view, so we ate there four times in all. I would recommend the BC Spa for adults, it's good value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roamingjiver
Crawfordsburn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the BC Spa Hotel for 3 nights in July. It was very good value in a lovely location. The room was clean and spacious, with a balcony. Breakfast was included in the room rate and was eaten beside the river. The location was beautiful but the breakfast, a little disappointing. The addition of some good coffee and fresh fruit would have been welcome. On the second day we did have some watermelon.
We enjoyed two lovely lunches in the hotel restaurant and would recommend the tuna salad with pomegranate dressing. The staff were courteous and helpful at all times.
This was a perfect place to spend a few days in Dalyan. The location was quiet but with only a short walk to the town.
Access to the Spa was also included in the room rate and this is a good bonus. On the recommendation of other guests my friend and I each paid TL60 for a Hamman which was an interesting experience!!!!!!! We were female and were given a Turkish bath by male staff!!!! Not for the faint-hearted!!!
A good hotel in a good location. A great start to our holiday.

• Stayed July 2013