“The Calypso”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Dalyan
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“The Calypso”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at the Calypso with friends the first week of July 2013. Lovely restful week, thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved having breakfast down by the river, such a beautiful setting, would never tire of that view. Breakfasts were basic but who needs to eat a mass quantity that early in the morning. Evening meal down by the river was excellent, food was some of the best.

Rooms were basic but in that heat, what else do you need but simple with effective air con.

Perfect location wise, just a 10 minute stroll on the flat into Dalyan.

Only thing we weren't too keen on was sunbathing on the grassy area behind the bar area - prefer the paved/tiled area but from what I can recall there were no umbrellas so that ruled it out due to the intense heat.

We would return to the Calyspo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smithy_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scunthorpe
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was our first holiday in Turkey (apart from cruise stops) .We arrived at the tail end of a storm and found it rather chilly - however staff soon warmed us up with extra blankets. Weather warmed up and we had the most wonderful weeks holiday, The hotel, management and staff were really friendly and we were waited on hand and foot. Many thanks to the laundry ladies after my partner covered herself and her clothes in pomegranate juice !! The food was very good and the service from Thomas, Eddie and waiters superb. The cheerful chefs kept us amused with their cooking skills. Even the hotels black Labrador with his ball and puppy "Pasha" added to the fun. Both very well behaved. Having lunch on the riverside jetty was great and then a stroll down the riverside into Dalyan was just our scene. The boat trips, mud baths and turtle spotting added to the pleasures of this very picturesque area. Being in our 70s the whole week was at our pace - leisurely and so peaceful. - Had we taken enough medication with us we would certainly have stayed another week, God willing see you all next year this time for a longer stay.
Bill and billie. N.Lincs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank walter B
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the beginning of October. Having been to Turkey many times this was our first stay in Dalyan. We found the hotel to be very clean, (cleanest bathroom). As stated before, if you want a top sheet or extra blankets for the bed you just ask. For all the staff, from Mert, to the receptionist, Hayder, Thomas, Eddie and Ali nothing was too much trouble. They helped make our stay perfect. Yes, at this time of year the sun went down at 4.30pm and the pool was freezing but didn't really spoil the holiday. All the meals we had at the hotel were of good quality, breakfast was adequate, if you wanted something else a chef was on hand to cook it for you at a very low cost. Suitable for couples or solo guests who just want a quiet chilled holiday. Some nice places to eat in the town and riverside.There are a lot of stray dogs and cats which didn't cause us any problems but if you don't like animals bear this in mind. Overall a great holiday, lovely people, fantastic location, and for a three star rating better than we expected. Would we go back? Yes definitely.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank HertfordshireSmudger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am not sure where to begin with this hotel? We squeezed in a last minute holiday and this was dirt cheap, but I confused "Simple and Authentic" with "No facilities whatsoever" I cried on my first day! The sheet didn't cover both of us the same time, the breakfast buffet is a disappointment, the pool is so cold it is impossible to use, The sun is gone by 3.30pm because of the mountains. I was bitten alive by mosquitos HOWEVER, if you don't expect too much, this is a pretty hotel in a great spot and considering what we paid, had a good holiday. It is a happy place, the staff are the friendliest and most helpful I have come across. So if you are looking for a bargain break and late sun and you don't expect too much, you could do worse. The food is it's downfall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tsten
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Had a lovely week here with my daughter (23)and met some lovely people. It is a hotel for couples rather than families as there is not much in the way for kids to do. Not any entertainment in the evenings.There are lovely walks and trips out ( so I am told ! ) for those who want more than lying by a pool. For those of us who are less mobile, everything is on the flat and well within easy distances ie. from the apartment to the pool and restaurant and bar !The one thing I did find hard to deal with was the marble flooring in the room and around the pool as it gets very slippery when wet ! Mert and his team of staff are really welcoming and very attentive and really looked after us. Being a non meat eater, I didn't find the choice of food hard,what ever we had was lovely and always piping hot and not expensive. Emily and I spent £200 on food and drinks for the week and we didn't go without anything so I think it was value for money. The only gripe I have is that going in October meant that the weather had been on the cool side and as the pool isn't heated,it was freezing and most people poolside couldn't use it which was a shame even when the temperatures hit 30+. Our rep, Leanne who works for Anatolian Sky was a complete star and a credit to her company and I would certainly choose to book through this company again.
For anyone who wants a quiet ,unassuming holiday this is the place to go. It was a lovely break in a smashing place with great people and I would certainly go back .

Room Tip: Because of the layout of the place ,I don't think you would ever get a completely quiet room so...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 123amandaj_12
Harwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Recently spent 7 days at Hotel on half board. My room with balcony overlooked the pool. It was near enough the bar to get wi-fi in my room. The lovely bar man Haydar, likes his music loud, so either take ear plugs or get a room away from the bar. My room was excellent, very clean, nice shower toilet etc I think another shelf in the bathroom would be handy. Breakfast good and fresh , omlettes to order. Agree with other commentators that a bit more choice would be nice. Also jams, honey etc need to be labelled. Eve meal quite varied and ok, good value but next time I will eat a la carte as choice is excellent for price. Had several lunches down by the river, grilled fish is gorgeous. For a sunny holiday this is best hotel I have ever stayed in. The village of Dalyan is only 5 mins walk along the river, which is very pleasant. Masses of river trips to choose from, and can see why so many visitors return year after year.

Room Tip: As already said, if you dont like loud muisc, get a room away from the bar. If you like wi fi in you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 46Louise
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Always like coming home - what a wonderful welcome I receive from everyone and never a problem to stay on my own. Some nice improvements since my last visit - the restaurant is now enclosed (very useful when we had a torrential downpour) and the gardens have matured with lots more sun beds.

There was always lots of hot water for a shower morning and evening, and my room was always cleaned and plenty of towels provided.

Ate all my meals at the hotel - the Turkish night was great fun and the food wonderful.

As always a huge thank you to all the wonderful staff especially Mert, Haydar and Tamer.

Please look after Pasha - it was so nice to be greeted by him each morning waiting at my door for a treat.

A wonderful holiday again - cannot be beaten for location, service and general ambiance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo