“Lovely hotel with a fantastic location”

Dalyan Tezcan Hotel
Ranked #20 of 65 Dalyan B&B and Inns
AZ
“Lovely hotel with a fantastic location”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Some of the criticisms you read here are legitimate: the pool is cold, pool deck is slippery when wet, the balconies are small, the parking is limited and the breakfast offerings vary in number of selections, temperature maintenance, and repetitive. I personally liked the breakfast's Turkish offerings. Also it is true that they do casually monitor their guests, which can be creepy. In my case, I brought in all the trash from our rental car to dispose of in our room trash can. My husband was enjoying the balcony and called for me. I saw one of the water bottles had 1-2 sips left so I drank it on the balcony. The male manager saw me and charged our room for drinking one mini bar water bottle. I told them what I did and they said I can't have outside food or drink...I didn't think 1-2 sips qualified, but ok.

Outside all of this, the building is lovely, the grounds are nice, the people are friendly and the view of the pretty river and ruins are very nice. I'd stay here again. It's a great deal to have a budget hotel with this view! Plus they feed the strays, which warms my heart. My room had an older key card which didn't work at first in the room slot to turn on all electricity including they excellent a/c. The handyman and female manager came and made sure everything worked straight away.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms are the best. Also ask for rooms with the best views. Definitely worth the price.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelinSuz

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have read some of the previous reviews so I thought I would put my visit across. Myself, husband and 19 year old daughter stayed here from the 27th September until 11th OfOctober, we had paid for two river view rooms with balcony. On arrival Sinnan the manager said they had no balcony rooms available for us at that time, just the rooms backing onto the road without balcony. I was not too happy, however within a very short space of time we quickly came to an agreement that suited both parties and it was dealt with. I did notice some people were not happy for various reasons eg a few others with issues about balconies, half board, not enough choice etc, there are 138 reasonbly good eating establishments in the town, so I would never go half board at the hotel, but that's a personal choice. Breakfast ok, but when we were there very cold winds for 3 days and thunder and lightning, so a warm breakfast a couple of mornings would not have gone amiss.

The staff are good at the Hotel, the cleaners decorated my and my husbands bed into a beautiful design as they did with my daughters room, they are extremely efficient at their job. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on the exact reason, but it did seem that things at the hotel were not as efficient and smooth as last year. For example:
wobbly shower doors, air con not working properly, balcony doors not closing properly, some lack of attention to detail here and there. It is perhaps getting towards the end of the season and these things might be expected, but it was (sadly to say) more noticable than last year. That being said, I did not go on hoiday to sit around the Hotel, so it really did not bother me too much, but yet again everyone is different. The Hotel caters to many age groups, from all walks of life, all I can say the Hotel is in the best location in Dalyan, rooms are kept clean and tidy, breakfast is ok, and our experience of the staff is very positive, would i stay here again? yes I would.

Only one dog lives at the Hotel, the rest are walking through and sometimes stop for a lie down, Dalyan is FULL of dogs, stray and otherwise, like wise with cats, so yes it does get noisy at night sometimes, busy location.

Dalyan is a lovely place to visit, with lots of eateries and pubs, lots of choice, numerous places to visit and things to do.

Room Tip: Pay for balcony rooms not just a request
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
EvrenTezcan, General Manager at Dalyan Tezcan Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2016
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

just returned from this hotel. we had 2 land view bedrooms but wish we had booked river view ( it,s a must). all the hotel spotlessly clean. Staff and management helpful and friendly.all rooms had safely deposit box which unlike other hotels you did not have to pay. Look forward to returning to this hotel next year..

Room Tip: river view, pay a little more but worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from Dalyan after staying at the Tezcan for a week. The hotel is in a fabulous position right on the river opposite the tombs. It is no more than a minutes walk into town so you couldn't ask for more as a location.

Dalyan has plenty to do with river trips galore. A walk to Kaunos which you get to by the rowing boat ferry opposite the tombs is well worth doing. Kaunos is an ancient city with a lot to see, an excellently preserved amphitheatre and some great views across the delta.

We hired a boat for a day with Apo from the little restaurant situated by the row boat ferry and had a great day. The trip took us to the mud baths then up to the lake which was one of the most peaceful places we have ever visited. After some lunch we sailed down to Turtle beach for the afternoon. There are lots of boats sailing the river but if you want something a bit different hire one privately. It cost us 150tl and was money well spent.

It is also possible to visit the beach using the dolmus which is located in the square near the mosque. It cost 16tl for the two of us return and was decent value. Sunbeds at the beach are 4.50tl each for the day.

There is plenty of choice for eating out as you would expect. The best two restaurants we found were The Olive in the Main Street and Hidden Garden (this one is literally around the corner from the main entrance).

Unfortunately though there is a cloud over this holiday. This is the way the hotel is managed. This was our tenth visit to Turkey and we have never experienced such a sterile atmosphere anywhere before. The Turks have always been so welcoming and polite everywhere else we have been and that includes outside the hotel in Dalyan. Inside the hotel though is a different story. The manager gives the impression he would rather have no one staying. He doesn't really speak to anyone (other than arguing with a lady guest over the 5 course dinner which ended rather abruptly by him storming away) and sadly this attitude has been adopted by most of his staff.

The only communication we had with him was upon arrival when he informed us this was not the Tezcan hotel and we had no reservation. Now this apparently he found hilarious, sadly for him it's not the sort of thing you want to hear when you left home 11 hours earlier and had been travelling since. A career in stand up comedy is most certainly not on the cards. We then asked on Tuesday if we could keep the room on as we had a late flight on our last day. His response was "what day is it, what day is it, what day is it?" It turned out we had to tell him it was Tuesday and then his reply was no, you will have to wait until Friday and then I will tell you. It depends on whether I have any room. Surely he would know if it was possible. What sort of service is this for a manager?

The receptionists do not acknowledge guests and with the exception of the two chaps who look after the bar the priority seems to be to watch as much television as possible. The pool area is ok with plenty of sun beds however there does tend to be a number of dogs living here. Most of the time they lie around but then something will happen and it's like call of the wild.

On the plus side to the hotel the cleaner is excellent. She does a great job and would always speak. Maybe she should take the majority of staff to one side and give them some training.

It is such a shame that the level of customer service is so poor here as the location is fantastic. They really need to review their approach to how their guests are treated as ultimately it doesn't matter how good the location is, if guests don't feel as though their custom is valued they won't come back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deanm1968
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel is right on the banks of the river , and has stunning views from one side of the hotel?? balcony side ??
The room should of had a bed side light or a least one above the bed ?? chairs round the pool and sunbeds would be better with some cushions
Right on the river tombs opposite boats to beach and for hire just down stairs (ismail ) he will take you for a nice little tourManager ( o my miserable life ) is a very funny man ,, the bar staff Evo n Mo made having a drink at the bar a joy ,if they could get off the phones lol,,,,,, Theirs so much you can do in Dalyan from just chillin to going on a boat everyday to somewhere different, BEACH , MUD BATH , TO SEE TURTLES or just walk into town which is a minute away from hotel front doors . Theirs a Restaurant just by the hotel called the hidden garden (very nice ) but hotel has a great menu and a good chef who cooks pancakes one day then omelettes the next for breakfast and does all the cooking in the evening.The cleaners are very good and the place is kept very clean, wi fi works great and the Raki is blinding ... So (o my miserable life( back home ) THANKS TO THE TEZCAN FOR A GREAT HOLIDAY

Room Tip: RIVER SIDE balcony view of the river not the other side ?? get down early for the beds the Engli...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The good points: As mentioned by other clients the location is fantastic and very central and the views from the rooms overlooking the river are stunning. The rooms we had were adequate. The breakfast was typically traditionally Turkish - we have had much worse and at least freshly cooked omelettes and pancakes were available. There was a fridge in the room and also a safe which was free.
The bad points: One of the biggest problems we encountered was that all of the reception staff did not speak any English (even the cleaners spoke English). On arrival it seemed to take an age to get checked in - the gentleman took our passports and as he did not appear to speak a word of English we were unable to establish what the hold up was. Whilst dealing with us he appeared to be having an argument with a Turkish guest which I found extremely rude and ignorant. Eventually after a good half hour we were finally handed our keys to the rooms. I asked to see the keys as I had specifically requested one of the rooms to be a lower floor as my mother in law is 88 and could not manage more than one flight of stairs and there was no lift. After asking to speak to the Manager he gave her a room on the first floor. The other thing we noticed was that there was no information in the rooms or anywhere in the hotel. There was a fridge in the room which was stocked with various drinks, but there was no price list? The pool area was small and the pool bar staff seemed to be playing music for their own entertainment rather than assessing the age group of the clientele and matching it to their needs. Rooms near the bar could be very noisy and some nights the dogs barking and cockerels crowing kept us awake.
On the whole we enjoyed the holiday but the hotel would benefit from much better management. We would like to visit Dalyan again but would probably not return to the Tezcan.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank chamb0s
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just got back from staying at the Tezcan this morning 8th October 2013. Seems that all recent customers have experienced the same generally poor service. Exactly the same as the previous reviewer we paid the (not insubstantial) premium for the river view (11 nights), when we arrived we were stuck in the smallest street side room in the place, really tight, really noisy and claustrophobic, noise was terrible, how anyone can stay in these rooms street side is beyond me. When I complained asking for a move in the morning (to the room which we had paid to be in) I was greeted with a 'couldn't care less' attitude by the manager 'if it's that big a deal to you I will refund you the difference!, before walking off ignoring me, exactly not what you want on your first night on holiday. We did get moved next day at around lunch time but had to hang around waiting to unpack etc. We were B&B, Breakfast was adequate, that is to say minimally adequate. Simple things like having to ask for bread, plates, forks, coffee at various times just aren't on, this is one of the more expensive hotels in Dalyan (we have stayed in both the Azur and the Alla Turc, both much better than this one). No gardens to speak of, what there was was unkempt and generally minimally maintained. Sunbeds free, but crammed together as tight as they could be, even when minimally occupied, not comfortable around the pool area. When we actually did get to our room, it was OK, nice balcony with a very good view. We did have a couple of days with cold water (due to weather) but in general the shower was good, as were the cleaners who did keep the rooms kept very tidy. The main problem with this hotel is that the management just couldn't be bothered, they almost make you feel like they are doing you a favour, not what you expect (and usually get) in Dalyan. We will be back in Dalyan in May, the people there are wonderful, the area is just great, but the Tezcan will not be on our itinerary. Whatever you do, do not book a street-side room, that really would be hell on earth for a full week I think.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay, you must book a river-view, but this is over-priced, however the alternati...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple