“nice place for peaceful holiday”
Review of Etenna Bungalow

Etenna Bungalow
Ranked #13 of 66 Specialty Lodging in Cirali
Reviewed February 14, 2012

When you arrive Etenna, the silence and peace catch you and you never want to turn back!!
First of all, the beach is wonderful. The composition of green and blue is excellent –really worths to see. The wooden bungalows are so cute, well designed (no tv, that is what me and my spouse want:)), bath is always clean and not tiny. Staff is friendly like most Turkish, and the foods are so delicious. Especially breakfast is delightful, but it is probably to meet some weeny guests like bees and hungry birds :) A la carte restaurant is also successful. If you want to have peace of mind Çıralı and Etenna is the right places.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aysenurust

Reviewed November 9, 2011

The first thing you see in the morning from your beautiful wooden bungalow is the sea. No busy roads, no bars, no crowds. The people are incredibly friendly, the rooms are very clean, the shower is a delight and the breakfasts are delicious. Bonfire at night, sunrise in the morning... Thank you Etenna, I had a great time and I'll definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Clientje
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Stayed at this amazing place from 03.09-10.09.
Welcoming manager and crew,great bungalow to stay.(Bathroom super!)
Delicious food by the cook,thanks to him!Good wine and spirits....
I recommend to all!!!
Regards

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Beautiful location, welcoming and helpful staff, delicious, fresh food. arge and clean accommodation (large bathrooms) in quaint pine bungalows right on the Mediteranean, what could be finer. Breakfast is served all day and is plentiful. Best accommodation we stayed in during our trip to Turkey.

Room Tip: All bungalows are well located.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie C
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We found this place through Trip Advisor and are overall satisfied we stayed there. There are several bungalows standing on small stilts surrounded by young gardens about 30 sec walk from the sea (and 10 sec from the beach). The bungalow we stayed at was all done in pine, including ceiling, with a nice matress and a big, airy bathroom with a huge shower. There is tea, coffee in the room, safe box, hair dryer, beach towels, and a hammock outside. The breakfast was very good with 2 kinds of olives, 2 cheeses, cucumbers and tomatoes, yoghurt, cereal, fruit salad, eggs, bread, home made jams, and just sqeezed orange/grapefruit juice. All of it served on the terrace overlooking the beach under a huge pine tree.

There are small "buts" about the place for us, that add up. The gentleman at the reception showed us a printed list of activities in the area, but could not answer additional questions we had. He said that we have the same list in our bungalow, but we only had the menu from their restaurant. The bungalow was clean overall, but with some dust bunnies hiding in the corners. Safe box was very small and not bolted down. I had an impression that toilettries in the bathroom had been used before, e.g. used and slightly dirty soap and not completely full shampoo. Bed sheets washed, but a bit of gunk still stuck here and there. Hot water is sun heated, so no hot showers in the morning once it gets chilly at night. The area was very quiet, but the walls are thin, so we could hear very well cars driving past the territory or a rooster that kept singing through the night. All this for 90 EUR/night...

For me this place is an Average because of inconsistency of price and service. Their strong points for us were breakfast and that we were right on the beach so very easy to go for a swim at all hours of day and night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank katialady
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My boyfriend and I found Etenna Bungalow through the internet. In my email communication with the manager, Gokan Kos, he did not answer all my questions or respond very promptly even when I attempted to write to him in Turkish but I'd read good reviews on here and the website looked fantastic, so we proceeded with the booking.

We'd arranged airport transfers through Etenna and arrived around 10pm. We were greeted by Mr Kos himself and one of his staff, who told us he was there to answer any of our questions as we were led directly to our bungalow (we thought this a nice touch but with hindsight I don't think Mr Kos speaks much English...but then neither did his member of staff!). I asked about the possibility of dinner and we were whisked straight to the dining area - we didn't know which was our bungalow and hadn't even been given the opportunity to lock the door!

The dining area at Etenna is truly lovely - directly over looking the beach - and at night is dimly lit, giving it a romantic feel. We ordered the Hawaiian steak, as it had been recommended on here and whilst it was being prepared we were presented with freshly baked rolls, cheese, tomatoes and black olives. When the steak arrived, it didn't look Hawaiian but we were both too tired to think too much about it, plus I have a garlic allergy so had asked for no garlic and so we wondered if it had been adapted to accommodate my allergy. It hadn't. Both the waiting staff came to apologise later as there'd been an error and we'd been given another table's order - the mushroom steak. Nevertheless, it was very tasty, albeit expensive at 22TL for one. The manager did not offer us any form of compensation for the mix up, such as a drink, dessert or discount, which surprised us. We therefore chose to eat our meals elsewhere for the rest of our stay, and found that everywhere else in Cirali we ate was a lot cheaper than Etenna!

The bungalow we stayed in, one of thirteen scattered amongst lush green vegetation, was lovely. Clean, spacious and smelling of pine, it was one of the nicer places we've stayed. The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in anywhere and superking in size. The bathrooms are also a major bonus of this pansyion: newly modified they rival those of five star hotels. The much-needed air conditioning is included in the price and the room safe is free. There is also free tea and coffee. A mini-bar is also provided but the drinks are very expensive at Etenna (much like the food) and so we opted to buy our own from the local market. For example, Etenna charge 5TL for a can of coke, whereas the restaurants in the village charge 2-3TL. Other nice touches include an information pack in the room and additonal towels that can be used at the beach. Outside, there is a veranda with chairs and a washing line and nearby, a hammock. We could see the sea from our bungalow, which was very special. It was cleaned every other day (and we were always asked for permission first) and the bed linens were changed halfway through our stay.

Although a lovely, peaceful place to stay, I have to recommend you bring ear plugs to Etenna ,just in case, as there are several cockerels wandering freely who loudly 'cock-a-doodle' throughout the night (starting around 2am) and this kept me awake on the first couple of nights, until I got used to it, and my boyfriend awake for the whole week!

True to the saying 'breakfast like a king', Etenna's breakfast was a veritable feast. Every day we were served: plates of black and green olives, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers; salty, feta-like cheese and a strong, crumbly cheese with walnuts; fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, fresh bread and butter, home-made marmalade/ jam (orange, peach, sour cherry) and honey; a choice of eggs; museli; freshly squeezed orange juice and a choice of tea or coffee. It was delicious.

At this point, I have to give a mention to the waiting staff of Etenna who are truly wonderful, especially the Czech waitress, Zdenka. They are fantastic, helpful and constantly cheerful despite working around 16 hours a day, every day - just the two of them. They made our stay at Etenna enjoyable and deserve medals for the work they do, especially as they are generally serving guests speaking a language that is not their Mother Tongue.

Aside from introducing himself upon arrival and approaching us once the day before we were due to leave to ask if everything was ok and for our full names (!), Mr Kos did not really acknowledge our presence. He was perfectly polite but not especially warm and friendly, leaving that side of the business to his staff. Unlike the other owner/ managers we have seen throughout Turkey, he didn't appear to interact with the guests or show an interest them at all and didn't get involved in waiting tables or the day-to-day running of Etenna. Unlike other places we've read about on here, he didn't offer us a lift to the Chimera, also...even though we asked him for directions. To be completly honest, he doesn't do Etenna justice as it's such a lovely place but we'd think twice about going back there as we met so many other warm, kind and friendly people in Cirali (business owners) and it's the people that make a place. If it wasn't for his staff, we wouldn't have really been happy other than in our room. I suspect he's more interested in the money than his guests.

On our last day we had to check out at 12 and then wait until 4pm for our airport transfer, so we settled ourselves on the cushions overlooking the sea. I settled the bill and as Mr Kos was taking me through the tariff, it transpired we'd been charged 70TL for a set meal we didn't have. To be fair, he did strike this off the bill but it did worry me a little.

If you do stay at Etenna, I would recommend you eat in the village: it's cheaper and there's LOTS of choice. It is around a 20 - 30 minute walk from Etenna but the pansyion does have bikes you can borrow free of charge (although several had flat tyres so we always had to walk). Olympos is a little further still and if you're going to see the Chimera, we'd recommend you get a lift! If it wasn't for the kindness of total strangers who picked us up I don't know what we'd have done that night. Also, beach shoes are a must!

Overall then, Etenna is in a beautiful location (situated right on the beach, next to Arcadia) and is a truly lovely place to stay. On the downside, drinks and meals are expensive and the manager doesn't do the place justice.

Room Tip: One bungalow is right on the beach, so I'd ask for this! (I don't know the name)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CinnamonGirl78
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The place is so comfortable and in nature. You arrive the place with warm welcome from the crew. They are so nice and helpful. Houses are bigger than we thought. Bathrooms are great. It is in a garden with lots of flowers and plants. In the evenings, we ate from a la carte they cook. We tried different meals everyday. And I really recommend the food they cook, they are all made of organic materials. It is not the place for people looking for some action but for the ones who likes to have a romantic and relaxing holiday. We went to Chimera to see the burning rocks. It was amazing and especially the view from the top of the mountain. I really prefer this place to couples. It is bed and breakfast actually, but try the meals they cook. (as mentioned before Hawaiian Steak and Caretta Burger) Thanks to the owner (now our very good friend) Gokhan for all the good things we share.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple