“Good Food Overshadowed!”
Review of Suzie's Cafe

Suzie's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Sterling
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having dined at Suzie's Kenai several times in the past few years, I didn't hesitate to go there again on August 17, 2013 with my wife and two grandkids. We had been fishing all morning and everyone was hungry. The food was very good. We had hamburgers, fish and chips and drinks. French fries were with all. The food measured up to past dining experiences. What totally failed at Suzie's was the service.

Things started out fine with a young waitress who took our orders and served our food. I had no reason to be concerned. Then, suddenly, that waitress left as if reaching the end of her shift. This is normally not a problem as another waitress would finish up the service in her absence. At Suzie's on that day and time, this was not to be the case.

The children were thirsty and finished up their drinks and hoped for more root beer. I tried for 15 minutes to catch the eye of one of the three waitresses there who stood in a small group and chatted the whole time. Finally, in frustration, I raised my hand and a brunette unhappily broke away from the others. She got the drinks and returned to her chit chat. We finished our meals and sat a spell thinking that one of the girls would notice and finish up the service and bring our check. NO SUCH LUCK. I tried in vain to catch the eye of any of those three gals for 20 minutes. Finally, again in frustration I raised my hand with a gentle wave. The same brunette yelled across the room at me with a big "What?". I didn't know how to respond with anything but a look. I told my wife and the kids to get up and leave. I sat there and sat there until finally another one of the chatty trio came over to the table to ask if we were done.

Eventually, I paid the check and even left a comfortable tip against my better judgement. But I have to say that if there is a Suzy who owns or operates that cafe, she would have been very disappointed in the rudeness that was shown to my family by her wait staff. I am not sure I will ever go there again.

3  Thank ExWaveQB

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I visited Suzie's a total of 4 times in 2011 and 2013 during the busy fishing season. The food is good, on time, and prices are reasonable. The place is clean. Menu has comfort food, which is really nice when fishing. I would go there before Buckets every time.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We went there specifically for the sandwich based on reviews from Trip Advisor. Did not disappoint! It was huge and very delicious.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Suzie's Cafe is a hidden gem. Their food is absolutely wonderful. My daughter and I ordered the turkey sandwich, while my son had clam strips and clam chowder, and my husband had the fish and chips. Each dish had a hearty serving and the food was delicious!! I also got a piece of pie for dessert that was good as well. We had planned on going back another day but they have limited hours - I believe it was only 11:30-8 and we were always coming back late. A wonderful restaurant to go to if you're looking for a great meal.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Not much on the eastern part of the Sterling Highway but this place was great. Food quality was good and quantity unbelievable. After a long drive this was a café for lunch.