“We had the greatest time!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sterling
Great Alaska Adventures
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“We had the greatest time!!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for a week and didn't want to leave. Everyone who works at the lodge was amazing. They all have an impressive knowledge of the area and Alaska in general even though most of them are not from there. It was such a warm friendly environment and it was great to feel like part of the family. Getting together with the staff and other guests at happy hour every night was the perfect way to end an exciting day. Great range of guests from serious fisherman to families. There are a variety of fishing options as well as other activities for the young, old and everyone in between. Bear Camp (and the flight there) was incredible.
I cannot say enough good things about my stay. Thank you so much for one of the best vacations ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kent J, Owner at Great Alaska Adventures, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Great Alaska Traveler:

Thanks so much for your great review! There is nothing better than knowing that our guests appreciate the hard work we put in making sure your trip is all that you hoped it would be.

We loved having you, and hope we'll have the privilege of seeing you again some day down the road!

Kent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Aurora, Missouri
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My son & I stayed there June 2013 on our first trip to Alsaka to celebrate Fathers Day & to honor my late Dad(WWII) vet . We were not dissapointed ! Sockeye right from the bank every day-Daniel was great & so patient with my son ! Halibut fishing was nonstop action with everyone catching their limit with a great captain & deckhand. River fishing was tough but fun-my son caught a 15lb native king we released. 45lb & 60lb kings caught from the bank during our stay also. We're already talking about 2014 with other family members.
Saw moose every where everyday.
Lloyd Peirce & Erik

Room Tip: Don't be shy to call ahead & ask them anything !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

A once in a lifetime trip to Great Alaska Bear Camp in June of 2012! My sister and I were picked up by van from our hotel in Anchorage and driven to the Great Alaska Adventure Lodge. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a memorable time. The Bear Camp was the highlight of our 3-week trip through Alaska. We were the only guests at the remote bear camp and our outstanding guides made sure we had every opportunity to see the bears in their natural habitat. Delicious meals, fun accommodations and enjoyable conversations with our guides made for pleasant relaxation when we weren't out observing the bears. Returning to the Adventure Lodge the staff arranged for our transportation on to Seward. Full service. Great memories. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Weather can change quickly in Alaska. The staff helped us find alternate activities in the rain. Sal...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Noteworthy88
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The guides provided us with a lot of great info about Alaska as well as being great guides on our day trips. All of the staff were very helpful. The trout fishing and bear camp were especially amazing. Some of the activities in the family safari left many hours unfilled in the afternoons and no vehicle of our own to use. Every effort was made for us to be involved in other activities when I asked the coordinators. There were not any kid type meal options for evening meals unless specially requested. We overall very happy with our stay and recommended Great Alaska to several people we met during the rest of our trip in Alaska after staying with Great Alaska.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went with friends and stayed at there bear camp for 2 days-the experience was unforgetabe-lots of bears and the entire experience is great. HOWEVER, the food was substandard at best. For lunch one day, and I am serious, we were given 1/2 of a potato-that is it! There were no snacks and the food was no quality or enough to really keep you going. I would highly recommend bear camp-but bring your own food or you likely will starve.

The food at the lodge was even worse-not quality and hardly any. I am not a foodie-so it really has to be bad for me to complain. It was pack your own lunch each day-bread and deli meats-it got old. They did have happy hour and free drinks-which is nice. The description of the food in the brochure is very misleading.

The rooms are comfortable and the staff nice. If you are fishing-they wake you up with a knock and coffee which is a nice touch.
This lodge needs to really get on the food-it is substandard at best, or just truthfully advertise it is basic and then we are aware. Seriously, 1/2 baked potato for lunch and that was it for 7 hours? This is not inexpensive to stay here.

So, great experience but the fod is horrible-soo just set your expectations appropriately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 147Adventure
Kent J, Owner at Great Alaska Adventures, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
This review unfortunately highlights the challenges of providing a unique and wilderness experience to a broad range of travelers. Perhaps this traveler should restrict her to reports to cafes and hotels. While reviews have been over the top favorable from the vast majority of our guests, this particular traveler was bitterly unhappy from the moment she arrived (she did not like the fact that she was not on the first plane to BearCamp and had to wait at the main lodge for 2 hours before flying out) and then chose to post an misleading and inaccurate review for her own personal reasons. If you are a future traveler reading her review, then I can only encourage you to continue on the the other travelers who have recently returned from our resort. Not only has the food been very well received, but the service is on par with the finest in the world. We invite you to see for yourself. thanks so much for reading our management response!
NY
Reviewed June 7, 2013

For me, this trip was a father-son fishing trip of the "once-in-a-lifetime" varieties, and did not disappoint. I was impressed with how courteous and accommodating all of the staff was, and how genuinely concerned all were with our comfort and pleasure while staying at the lodge, and the logistics and planning were impressive. Fishing was somewhat tough throughout the week, but all of our guides worked hard and got us on plenty enough fish. It was somewhat difficult to sit back and let someone else do all the work (something I'm not accustomed to, being a mostly solo outdoorsman and part-time guide myself), but I can say with certainty that a person who is not experienced in the outdoors in the least can simply book a trip, bring the appropriate type and amount of clothes, and let the entire staff take it from there. Everything else, and I do mean everything, is taken care of by the staff. Meals were excellent; prepared/presented very nicely, and featured plenty of variety throughout the week's stay. If you enjoy the outdoors and get only one opportunity to make the trip of a lifetime to Alaska, you would be very well served to trust your trip to these folks.

Room Tip: Regardless of the room you get, all are good. I was initially disappointed at booking to have gotte...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I took my dad to Great Alaska Adventure Lodge for his 70th birthday the summer of 2012. It was perfect! We have done 3 other trips to Alaska for fishing, and this one was over the top! They took very good care of us, the food was perfect every night. Rooms were warm, and perfect for the two of us. We fished all 6 days we were there and the guides were fantastic. Im a guide in SC and they have some top notch guides working for them. I would love to go back and take my wife so we could check out the Bear Camp. Every person that stayed there went and they wouldn't stop talking about it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Kenai River Lodge
Kenai Magic Lodge
Kenai Magic Lodge
#5 of 12 in Sterling
Best Western King Salmon Motel

Been to Great Alaska Adventures? Share your experiences!