“Medieval Citadel of Sighisoara, Dracula's birthplace”
Review of Sighisoara

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Orlando, Florida
51 helpful votes
“Medieval Citadel of Sighisoara, Dracula's birthplace”
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Sighisoara is an enchanting medieval little town with cobblestones street that remain frozen in time. Visit the Citadel Tower & museum. Accommodations are very inexpensive
and so is food. My family is planning to go back next year.

1 Thank Marblue099
Frankfurt, Germany
15 helpful votes
“i love it...”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I am a romanian but i just recently visited Sighisoara...I fell in love..it's wonderfull...i especially loved the cemetery..i know that sounds creepy but i've never seen nothing like it...also...i had a great culinary experience at the Sighisoara Hotel Restaurant and also I went there at the Open Museum Night and i was able to see Sighisooara at night fromn the Clock Tower..I recomand it...If u hapen to be in Romania don't miss it....

3 Thank me_mira
Derbyshire
46 helpful votes
“Saxon villages”
Reviewed March 7, 2009

We had a fantastic trip with a local guide around the Saxon villages near Sighisoara in central Romania and stayed overnight in a restored Saxon house, courtesy of Caroline Fernolend and the organisation www.mihaieminescutrust.org. The organisation works in several local villages to restore buildings & support communities following the departure of many of the Saxon (=German) families since 1945. Many of the villages are remote and self-sufficient, practising traditional farming & crafts. We walked around a few villages, viewed old buildings & churches, met local people, had meals with Saxon/Romanian families & saw how they lived & worked. The food was fantastic and the people incredibly friendly. An advantage is many people speak German (though with our guide we could also speak with the Romanian speakers). My favourite place was Malancrav. We went in winter which was interesting but I imagine even better in spring & autumn when you can enjoy hiking & cycling as well.

2 Thank Rejse
London
61 helpful votes
“Crazy drivers”
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Firstly, if you are visiting in the not too distant future please be aware that most places (restaurant, bars etc) will not accept Euro and will only take the local lei/leus. One of the 4 main banks here had told us we couldn't get Romanian currency outside the country itself. However, a last minute visit to the Post Office revealed that they can get Lei but you have to order it.
Sighisoara was very pretty and the citadel is roughly a 20 minute walk from the train (gara) and bus (autogara) stations, though be aware that the last 5 minutes or so are uphill on cobbled steps if heading towards the citadel.
We took a taxi from Targu Mures airport to Sighi which cost 30 euro - lovely guy who couldn't speak much english but he did help us with our pronounciation attempts which probably entertained him. Many cars seemed to overtake with as little notice as possible, regardless of what was coming the other way and were almost "climbing into the boot" of the car in front. A little nerve wrecking but I guess it means you see more of the countryside as you're too scared to look ahead!
Stupidly I forgot to print out the address for Casa Legenda where we were due to spend our 1st 2 nights. Our driver spent ages bless him trying to find it and would not let us walk as we had offered - I think it became a battle of wills in the end. He brought us to our destination eventually and wouldn't accept any extra money. As we would find out later, people are not always so kind.
If anyone would like details on Casa Legenda or Hotel Paradis (in Cluj Napoca) then please send a message as there's quite a lot of detail. Same goes for eating out in either place. We only spent one night in Cluj but thanks to a French man whom we met in the hotel (no, it really isn't as bad as it may sound!) we discovered a great little restaurant in the city centre.
We took the train from Sighisoara to Cluj which cost 36lei (roughly £7.50)each 2nd class. For 1st class we were quoted 96lei. The only real difference was that there were 2 less seats in a carriage with first class. Be careful on the trains with small children as there are quite large gaps between carriages. The seats were heated as well which would be great when it's freezing cold but we had quite a mild day so we spent a warm and very sleepy 3 and a half hours on there. We bought our tickets from the agent near Decembrie Str rather than risk queuing at the actual station so we may have paid a little more than normal but I'm not sure. The train was only delayed a few minutes and was pretty clean and a cheap and interesting way to see the countryside.
To sum up (just contact me if there's anything specific you'd like to know) most of the people are very friendly but as with any country you do need to be aware especially around bus/train stations. I'd advise checking bills very carefully as there's a tendancy for some restaurants to add "extras" or to not make the total clear. They will probably have the real total somewhere on the bill but not necessarily where you'd expect!
More english is spoken in the larger towns but try and learn a few basic words before you go.
Taxis are cheap, a 2 course meal for 3 people with wine & coffee seemed to stay under £20 (in total), imported/branded spirits are quite expensive in comparison and watch out for the palinka - it's strong! The plum brandy is lovely and doesn't take your breath away so much.
Basically, go with an open mind, keep your wits about you and prepare to be surprised.

5 Thank DaisyFred
München
7 helpful votes
“Cute and tiny city in Romania!”
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Sighisoara - what a cute place!! Even though I never learnt to say the name right...

- little city that has its old town centre up on a mountain (be prepared to climb some stairs)
- very small centre with 3 churches, one on another mountain on the mountain even higher up
- quite touristical
- I spent there one afternoon/evening and I could easily get around
- the clocktower with the historical museum inside has a nice view and is a MUST
...

so if you have some time a stop here is quite enjoyable...

1 Thank Asse1978

Been to Sighisoara? Share your experiences!