“Lovely spot, peaceful courtyard to sample delicious brandy and great accommodation, too”

Pivnita lui Teo - Teo's Cellar
Ranked #11 of 29 things to do in Sighisoara
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I have just visited Sighisoara and we booked to stay at Pensiunea de la Teo after reading about it in this listing on TA. The website (www.delateo.ro) is also helpful and when I emailed Teo he was very helpful with information about his accommodation and also arranging an airport pickup for us and checking and confirming the dates of the Medieval Festival.

We are a family of four. Teo has just a few rooms at his pension and he offered us a two room apartment with a double bedroom and one or two temporary single beds in the adjoining room (for 100 Euros per night). I could see from the website that there was an attractive courtyard and this drew us, as we knew we would want to be able to put our children to bed in the evening and then sit outside near their room, so we could relax but still keep an eye on the children. Teo's place was perfect for us! Our room was on the ground floor and although there was no a/c the room was cool as the old building has thick walls and does not get hot, even when temperatures outside were in the mid-30s. Teo and his family were very welcoming to us and the children, Teo himself is full of energy and always smiling. The courtyard is quiet and beautiful; full of plants and flowers carefully tended by Teo's wife.

Breakfast was provided in the pension next door and there was a good selection of cold meats, tomatoes, cheese, bread, muesli, bacon and great fried eggs. At Teo's we could get drinks, including trying Teo's own wines and brandies. I don't normally drink spirits, let alone brandy, but I was converted! Teo's place is signed from the nearby road, Str Scolii, which has the covered steps at the top leading to the church on the hill. Visitors popped in to see the cellar and try the brandies and many left with purchases, so it wasn't just us who were impressed! The former Prime Minister came by to visit Teo and try his brandies while we were there.

We had a lovely time in Sighisoara and we would definitely return and we would happily stay at Teo's Pension again.

I should also mention that it is possible to arrange tours with a local guide through Teo and we decided to do this instead of taking a train direct from Sighisoara to Sibiu. We were collected from Teo's by our guide, Emil, at a time of our choosing in the morning; Emil was great at suggesting a route and places to visit between Sighisoara and Sibiu and also accommodated our request to stop off at Ocna Sibiului (the salt lakes where you can bathe). Emil drove us in his car, he was fantastic with our children, he was full of information and we had a really fantastic day with him. He took us to places that we did not know about and would not have seen without him, he also suggested a restaurant where we stopped to eat lunch in Medias and we had a very nice meal there. I would definitely recommend this tour!

3  Thank SlapstickBeds
There are newer reviews for Pivnita lui Teo - Teo's Cellar

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Teo is the kindest person I've met in Sighisoara, and I must say, I've learned a lot from him. His Cellar is a piece of history, and Teo's pension is a great accommodation place.

Must see place in Sighisoara.

Delia & Dan

4  Thank Dan m
Reviewed December 30, 2012

In this wonderful family home we received more than a warm bed,more than the best plum brandy, we received a very special gift of the heart from a Romanian host who would do anything possible for a smile.
100% satisfied,well rested

2  Thank Claudiu O
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Teo cellar is a really lovely experience.....a great selection of zuica and palinka....for people who dont like strong spirits....there s a selection of a very nice local wine....
Stand up 4 Teo!!!!

4  Thank Luca C
Reviewed June 10, 2011

The owner Teo is by far one of the most engaging people I met in Romana. His spirits are of a quility that I did not find anywhere else in the country, with the international awards to back them up, although Teo is too modest of a person to say much about them. Through talking with Teo, I not only learned the history and the methods for making his spirits, but that he has seveal high quality rooms for rent. I will most definitely be staying at his establishment the next time I am in Sighisoara.

8  Thank 1travelerDrew