“Customer Service and Charm”

Pension am Schneiderturm
Ranked #1 of 49 Sighisoara B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2013

In a country where customer service occasionally is lax, Sorin stands in stark contrast, providing for the guests every need.From the complimentary glass of wine upon arrival to the souvenir coffee mug the message is clear:"We care about you".He puts out an organic breakfast that is a culinary delight of local favorites. My first choice was full but I am glad I found this place and I might add it was half the price. The taxi tour he arranges is a treat for History buffs and a bargin compared to comparable tours in Brasov. Yes the rooms are smaller than the average Hotel but this Inn was built in 1797 of solid stone making enlargement impossible.It is a window to the past.As you navigate the winding cobblestone streets and use your key to open the garden gate you will feel like an eighteenth century pilgrim who is spending the night at the village Inn.
Pension am Schneiderturm is definitely on my list of places to return to.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joe s

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Charming! I asked the hotel owner if he had travelled the world himself and then made a hotel with everything he wished he had everywhere else - and he said "Yes!" it was so obvious.

Sympathetically restored keeping true to Romanian medieval style but with some modern comforts, just enough for a few night's stay. Our room was quite small but all we needed, the beds, not perfectly soft but had perfect linen, the bathroom tiny shower but that's ok, the place is hundreds of years old after all! Nice little outside area, and dead quiet at night. We were there in the middle of July in melting heat - the room was hot but there was a fan.

The breakfast is one of the best I've had for its authenticity and uniqueness, a delight of everything local: NINE different local cheeses mostly goat and sheep (a coup for the cow milk intolerant!), beef, venison and boar meats, homemade bread and local jams and honey, a local speciality similar to halva. How often do you find that anywhere?

The owner was very helpful and gave us really good travel advice (to take the later train and get to Biertan instead) and arranged a reliable taxi.

I'd give this place 5 stars. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deeplysuperficial
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am so glad I listened to you TripAdvisors and booked this place. Wonderfully charming and small, right on the Citadel wall. Our group of 7 took up 4 of their rooms for 2 nights and Sorin (sp) was an amazing host. He sat outside with us and talked and then pointed us in the right direction to great food and what restaurants were a tourist trap.
I think this was my favorite place in our trip.
The free breakfast spread was authentic to the region and just enough to get you going in the morning.
Go to Sighisoara and stay here! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for the room that is built into the wall.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Thank you, Tripadvisor, for leading me to another wonderful hotel. When we arrived, we realized we had booked for two nights, but I had only intended to book one. Sorin (sp?), the owner, had no problem calling booking.com to change it with us.

The whole hotel is just right. The details are everywhere - good showerhead, beautiful furnishings, incredibly thoughtful breakfast, great coffee. It turns out Sorin built it himself over 10 years.

Now home, I am drinking out of our new Pension am Schneiderturm mug. It is a reminder that doing the right thing pays off in the long term, that details matter, and that everywhere can be somewhere special if you put your soul into it.

Room Tip: We had the Junior Suite and loved it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Probably I don't have to repeat how extraordinary this pension / owner is. If there were 10 of ranking stars in tripadvisor, Pension am Schneidertum definitely gets 10 stars with no doubts,

I stayed in a single room, it is small but ultra super duper cozy with soft blanket and spotless bathtub. There are 6 rooms in total and capacity is 11 pax.
Sorin welcomed me with home-made white wine ;-) Beside of the wine, you will savour lots of home-made food and organic stuff for breakfast (8:00 - 10:00). Try apple juice, it is so rich and fresh. That was the best apple juice I've ever had.
Sorin is more than attentive and thoughtful. He always cares for guests.

Pension is close enough to the Sighisoara Train Station but street is not suitcase-friendly, so I recommend you to take a cab from the station. I walked from the station but it was honestly tough with suitcase. On my way back to station after check-out, I took a taxi, it cost 5 lei.

There is no one-day tour arranged by this pension but you can hire a taxi to go to Biertan & Castelul Bethlen Cris in a day. It cost 120 lei excluding entrance fee. The taxi driver explained a little bit when we visited Castel Cris (entrance fee = 10 lei) with flashlight in his hand ! I departed pension around 1330 or so. I stopped at hotel for having a quick lunch. Then I came back to pension around 1700 or so after visiting 2 spots. It takes 40 minutes to get to Biertan from Sighisoara.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank mamacita1001
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The pension is in the city wall. It is quite small, but very convenient. Room was warm and cosy but not for staying in. The television was small and high up.
The breakfast was great, all sorts of local fayre. try the honeys and juices.
the manager / owner couldn't have been more helpfull with advice and friendliness. Parking available but 15 RON to get into the city wall

Room Tip: junior suite would have been better
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

How often do you get to stay in the wall of medieval city?
Interesting place, inside the Citadel, next to the Clockmaker's Tower. Small room but it was very clean and comfortable.Lovely breakfast served in the cellar and friendly staff. Excellent value for what we paid.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple