Ways to Experience Sapa Tribal Trekking
from $114.24
from $166.16
from $225.65
More Info
All reviews amazing experience moderate hike local meal incredible guide local guide day trip local tribes amazing trek local house local families rain boots tour guide beautiful scenery rice terraces sa pa knowledge 13km
Selected filters
Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

We spent the best two days with Giang as our guide trekking Sapa. Her and her family were warm and accommodating hosts throughout our trip as we explored the area and enjoyed many local dishes tailored to our vegan needs.

Giang as a guide was fantastic; honest, knowledgeable and charming. We genuinely hated having to say goodbye, as she felt more of a friend than our guide by the end of the two days.

She took us off the beaten track, through waterfalls and all over the beautiful Sapa area whilst teaching us about all aspects of Tribal life along the way. We spent the night at her cousin’s house (local stay option when booking) where we got to know the family, enjoyed plenty of rice wine, as well as spectacular views from our comfortable accommodation.

I would recommend Tribal Trekking wholeheartedly and although we’ve not been in Vietnam long on our trip I’ve no doubt this will remain the highlight by the time we leave.

2  Thank peterwrudd
Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

Giang our guide was the best, so fun, loving and knowledgeable. She took us on the most amazing two day trek, off the beaten track away from all the tourists. We saw beautiful rice paddies, waterfalls, local wildlife and ate some really really amazing food. We are all vegan and her cousins cooked us some delicious home cooked meal. Local stay was really lovely, private room but also got to hang out with the family and their children, drink some rice wine together and play some games. Giang is soo much fun, we were sad to say goodbye! Definitely the highlight of our trip to Vietnam!! ❤️❤️❤️

Date of experience: January 2020
2  Thank Pioneer34403423910
Reviewed December 26, 2019 via mobile

The 2D1N trekking trip really turned out to be the highlight of our Sapa holiday!
Giang, our guide, was so lovable and just the sort to be very flexible to our preferences, and truly passionate about sharing about what we see along the way, and also about the village cultures. It was really interesting! Because we trekked on christmas eve, when Giang pointed out a village catholic church.. we decided to spend the night celebrating at the church. So Giang immediately said ok, suggested for a taxi ride back to the homestay, called to arrange for late dinner at the homestay, so that we can enjoy ourselves as long as we wanted. She is really competent! The best proof of her competence is when I absent-mindedly left a bag of belongings at the village and when I called her, her efficiency in arranging for a rider to send the bag back to us at record speed just before we boarded the sapa express bus back to Hanoi, is truly something that we are so appreciative for. I can really say you are in safe hands with a guide like this.

4  Thank mickeyzaralee
Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

My partner and I originally chose Sapa Tribal Trekking tours as it was operated and owned by a true local and not by an external/international company. Best decision ever!

Chi Giang was incredibly responsive and helpful during the weeks leading up to our trek including booking our sleeper train tickets for us from Hanoi to Sapa! She even organised our transport from Lao Cai station into Sapa Town and also breakfast at a hotel when we first arrived in Sapa during the very early morning before our trek began.

We went with the 2 day 1 night trek (Sapa > Lao Chai > Ta Van > Giang Ta Chai) during December. Luckily it wasn’t raining however the path was very slippery at times so bring appropriate footwear and good layering clothing!

Chi Giang was already on a trek on our first day so her husband, Anh Toan, was our guide. He was a great conversationalist with an awesome sense of humour, while also providing deep insight into the history, culture and also the hardships faced by the Vietnamese and Hmong.

Despite it not being the rice harvest season, the landscaping and terraces within Sapa were nonetheless amazing to witness and trek through. We had a delicious lunch at a local home and drank rice wine with a Hmong uncle. My partner and I can both speak Vietnamese so we were fortunate enough to be able to converse with many of the locals.

We ended the first day at Chi Giang’s cousin’s home (Chi Tran) in Lao Chai and their family were very hospitable. We got a chance to make nem and try out local hornet wine! (Remember to check out the sunrise in the morning as well).

Chi Giang was our guide for our second day and we did a lot of trekking through bamboo forests. Chi Giang is very down to earth, friendly and caring. We again learnt a lot about daily living in the villages and also how certain aspects of consumerism have impacted the local people.

We ended the trek at a restaurant in Giang Ta Chai for lunch before getting driven back into town.

I don’t usually go out of my way to write reviews on TripAdvisor however I believe Chi Giang and her family really do warrant my review. If you are thinking about booking a trekking tour in Sapa, you won’t be disappointed if you choose Sapa Tribal Trekking Tours!

4  Thank viviennguyen_
Reviewed November 29, 2019 via mobile

This trek was stunning in all respects. Our guide lead my wife and I through spectacular scenery with rice paddy terraces, water buffalo, and a variety of traditional buildings. It wasn't too strenuous (good thing at our age!) though a walking pole may help after rain. Our guide's descriptions of various aspects of traditional life there were most interesting, as was seeing crafts such as cloth-dyeing for real. The homestay was particularly enjoyable, we couldn't have felt more welcome. Encountering other trekkers at times did not detract, and is probably inevitable on a moderate route such as ours.
Very grateful. Would highly recommend this.

3  Thank paulfE9143NK