“STAY AWAY FROM BAMBOO”
Review of Bamboo Sapa Hotel

Bamboo Sapa Hotel
Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Sapa
Reviewed November 26, 2008

My wife and I advise people to STAY AWAY from this hotel. The bathroom had no ventilation (therefore fungus on the walls and roof), the hallway looked like an institution from the 1950s, no service at the hotel, no food after 9 pm, dogs barking outside windows all night etc etc. The view was the ONLY good thing. Have stayed at lots of hotels worldwide but this hotel is my worst experience so far. Not worth the money at all. Book something else! I talked to someone on the train back from SAPA which had stayed on Sapa Boutique Hotel. They were very satisfied with that hotel.

Stayed: November 2008

Reviewed September 15, 2008

The Bamboo Hotel sits on the edge of the hills, giving the room that we stayed in (Rm304) a great view. We stayed there for one night, having done the overnight train from Hanoi.
Overall, the condition of the room was great; size was good, sheets for the twin beds were clean, as were the floors and toilets.
View, as mentioned, was excellent.
The issue was with the shower heater. The water heater was a gas-powered one, and ours was clearly very low on gas. Getting soaped up and then discovering that you do not have hot water for more than a min during the cooler months is not a nice experience.
2 attempts were made by staff to fix the heater; from the noise, it sounded like they were just switching the gas cylinders around, which did not help matters at all.
Front desk staff had a limited command of English, and this made the experience somewhat frustrating.

Overall, was a fair experience, but something to take note of.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Sinh Cafe Travel in Ha Noi booked me into the Bamboo Hotel as part of a tour. I paid for a good room in the Bamboo Hotel but instead Mr Hieu assigned me to a terrible room in the Green Bamboo, Room 103, which was 80 steps down the face of the wall to the bottom and the room had no chairs, no TV and only one small light in the Bathroom. When I complained he said that was what Sinh Cafe ordered for me and he had no room in the Bamboo HOtel.

When I reported this to Sinh Cafe they were surprised he would have treated me that way. They called him and he told them I did have a good room with chairs, TV and lighting! So it is possible he sold my room to someone else and dumped me in this terrible room. I obviously had no reason to claim I had a poor room when I in fact had a good room.

This is a disgrace to the good people of Vietnam who are so kind, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank PETEROttawa
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Generally poor with one exception which I will get to at the end..

1) Transfer from Lao Cai Station - minibus had 2 too many people and no room for luggage so everyone had to sit with their backpacks and suitcases on their laps - you are better off getting the regular Lao Cai / Sapa transit - tickets for which you can buy before exiting the platform of Lao Cai station

2) Check In - Check in to the hotel is at 7am.. (when the transit arrives).. check out is at 12 noon.. the result is that they don't really have any rooms ready when you arrive.. given most tours start at 9.30am the same day a lot of people had to do a full day in Hanoi, followed by 8hrs on the train, followed by a 70minute minibus to Sa Pa followed by a full day's trekking before they could get a shower or get changed

3) Rooms - I had no view as I was at the front of the hotel (the valley is at the back) but it was heavy fog the 3 days I was there so that wasn't an issue. My room did smell of drains however. The room was spotless when I arrived, but I stayed there for 2 nights and it wasn't until i asked when my room was going to be cleaned at 5pm on day two that they actually did it - most people stay only 1 night in SaPa, I have a feeling they don't automatically make your room up every day if you stay any longer.

4) Restaurant. Not good, they seem to work from (poor) set menus that are likely to be included full board with your tour (i saw no guests there without meal vouchers so I don't know what happens if you book the hotel yourself). The food is average, the 7 or so set menus for lunch and dinner are always the same and breakfast is truly bad. Go out into SaPa and eat there.

5) Finally the guides.. having spoken to a lot of people from other hotels I think my group had probably one of the best guides there was. Full credit to May Phan - she is absolutely excellent. Always smiling and charming, very knowledgeable, she was a total joy and really made my time in Sa Pa.

To be honest I really didn't like this hotel but the guide service more than made up for it, and for that alone I would stay here again

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 23, 2007

We stayed in a deluxe room for 1 night (USD30+). It was great to be able to check in when we arrived at 7am. The room was not fancy but at least it was clean and spacious. Outside was a common balcony for all the rooms on the same floor that were facing the mountain. I must say that the view was excellent! The bathroom had an "old" smell but we could live with it for a night. Hot water was minimal so if you're visiting during winter, do take note. No heater in sight either but we didn't need it. The buffet breakfast was rather good and we dined at the tables outside while admiring the Fan Xi Pan Mountain. This hotel is located on the quiet end of the town but that was something we had wanted. There were security personnel on duty day and night too. Overall, we enjoyed our stay but we may go for somewhere cheaper the next time round.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dys
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on Nov. 8 in Room 501. The hotel was beautiful -- clean and modern furniture. Especially great was our room -- had large balcony, good view in front of a valley and Fansipan Mountain. I really enjoyed this trip.

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jen_davis
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Although I didn't stay at this property, I checked out a double room when we got booted from ours next door at the Royal View Hotel. The room was very mediocre, but with a $US39/night price tag. Definitely overpriced for the quality.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends