“Very clean and nice view”
Review of Bamboo Sapa Hotel

Bamboo Sapa Hotel
Ranked #31 of 76 Hotels in Sapa
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on Nov. 8 in Room 501. The hotel was beautiful -- clean and modern furniture. Especially great was our room -- had large balcony, good view in front of a valley and Fansipan Mountain. I really enjoyed this trip.

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jen_davis

Reviewed November 25, 2007

Although I didn't stay at this property, I checked out a double room when we got booted from ours next door at the Royal View Hotel. The room was very mediocre, but with a $US39/night price tag. Definitely overpriced for the quality.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I stayed at the Bamboo Sapa Hotel in June 2007. The views are incredible and the hotel is the last one down the hill a bit from the main part of town, but this was not an issue at all as everything, including the central part of town was well within walking distance. I was unfortunate enough to be stuck in a room in the "green" building next to the main building of the hotel. Rooms are mediocre by western standards, but I am not really fussy and the rooms did have the basics (wardrobe, TV, fridge, etc). The rooms were clean though. Bathrooms were a little simple, lighting not too good in them, very small mirror in the bathrooms and a tub with the shower head in the middle of the wall (not the end) with no shower curtain. Made for some messy showers, additionally the water didn't drain quickly in the tub. There were some small insects in the bathroom too as well as the room, but didn't bother me too much. I had a small balcony that had a beautiful view of Fansipan even though I was on the bottom floor. The bedding smelled awful, which I have found to be somewhat common in Vietnam, even at some of the high-end 5 star hotels. The smell is the same smell you get when you wash clothes in high-humidity weather but don't get them into the dryer or outside on the line fast enough. Sleeping in the Bamboo Sapa was difficult due to the awful smelling linens and the fact that sound carries easily in this hotel. I only stayed one night, thankfully, but I could hear people returning to their rooms late into the night, woke me-up. I could hear doors openign and closing, maids early int he morning (like 6 am) sweeping the hallway floors outside. It was a very noisy night and I was at the end of the hall near one of the outer doors to the outside stairs. It was pretty frustrating. There are also vents to the outside hall in the bathroom and frosted glass panes on the door which allowed sound to travel so freely.
The service of the staff was very good. The restaurant also has the most amazing views, as others have said, but very average somewhat bland food.
I travel to Vietnam several times a year for work and the trip to Sapa was one I took alone on my weekend off. I am used to staying at many different hotels in Vietnam mostly high-end since work pays for it and eating a lot of Vietnamese cuisine (in many different restuarants and outside food stalls, yes I have a very strong stomach. I have many Vietnamese colleagues so I frequently eat meals with them at places were tourists don't normally go and the food is incredibly good always. I don't take pre-cautions against fruit or ice as other foreigners do and I have only gotten sick once and I think that was because I ate way too many raspberries in Dalat for my stoamch to handle all the little microbes (they were just soooo good). I paid for it for a whole week after. At the Bamboo Sapa the food was not great, as others have said. It was just ok.
I booked my whole package through the Bamboo Sapa Hotel travel agent/office. The treks to the villages were very good. The guide was excellent though it seems they forgot to give me my meal tickets, since meals were included in the package. I asked the guide about this since he was responsible for meeting and greeting the others who were in our weekend trekking tour the first morning I arrived (sat.) and they all seemed to have their meal tickets. However, he told me it was ok that I didn't need them but every time I went to eat dinner or breakfast i was asked for my ticket and everytime I had to explain they didn't give me any. It ended up being ok but a lot of a hassle to have to explain every time that I don't have a meal ticket and why. The last day (sunday) they drive you and the others from the hotel also leaving back to Lao Cai around 5 pm. You get there at 6 pm and they arrange for every one to eat at a restaurant right across from the train station before a guide in Lao Cai picks you up to escort you to your train car. The female proprietor of the restaurant was miserable, not freidnly at all and they wwre so extremely slow that it took hours for everyone in our group to get food and drinks. The food was good though. However again I was asked for a meal ticket and when I explained, yet again, that the hotel did not give me any they treated me as if I was a criminal and told me I would have to pay then. I argued and told them no way that I had asked the hotel front desk and my guide several times for meal tickets and they told me that I didn't need them. I then called one of my Vietnamese colleagues in Hanoi and asked her to help since language was clearly a barrier. She called the travel agent's office and apparently the boss asked my guide why I didn't get a meal ticket and my guide, despite being tipped handsomely by me before I left Sapa, told his boss that I lost my ticket and that I was lying that I did not get one. I was ready to kill someone. Eventually the local guide in Lao Cai, who spoke pretty good English called the hotel and they apologized and said they forgot to give me a ticket so they restaurant staff apologized to me and all was well, but what a nuisance. Additionally they booked me in the lower class sleeper car on the way up tp Sapa. I had a guide pick me up at the hotel in Hanoi, then stop to pick up several others at other hotels before he escorted us to the train station in Hanoi (good thing too because it was chaotic and the best way was going through the back entrance not through the front). He then escorted each one of us to our car and when he told me I was in a different car from everyone esle I did not think anything of it until I got on the car and was escorted to a small, dingy 4 berth, very narrow room with 3 Vietnamese men two of whom were drinking. I was not feeling at all good about the journey. The beds seemed clean, even if the actual room was grimy. I have trained extensively in the martial arts and have two-second degree black belts so I wasn't afraid I was just a little annoyed because I thought I would have to stay awake all night ready to attack in case one of the drunken men decided to do something stupid. The men ended up being very friendly and respectful. They were pretty quiet roommates once the train pulled out and the night was peaceful and uneventful even if I felt uncomfortable being a single, young female sleeping with 3 strange foreign men. When you arrive at the station the next morning it is extremely confusing. Just follow the crowd as it is a pretty long walk around the tracks to the station and you will need your ticket stub to actually get out of the station. No one explained to me what would happen once I arrived and after making it out of the station mass choas was everywhere. Everyone is trying to offer you a ride and I had no idea what I was supposed to do so I wandered a bit until I saw a man holding a large card with many names on it, with one of the name being mine. He took me to a jammed packed van of other tourists and soon we were on our way to the Bamboo Sapa. You arrive very early before you can check-in so be prepared and have a change of clothing and other essentials ready. They took us to breakfast in the hotel where we were met by our guide. I freshened up in the bathrooms but then our guide told us we would be able to check in early soon after breakfast. So after a very early check-in we all met the guide back in the lobby and were off for the day. The trekking is rough even though they say it is moderate. I am in great shape and was able to keep up with my guide the entire weekend, however both the guide and I would frequently have to stop and wait for the others. The trek down into the village is rough because it is steep and very rough uneven paths so you need to be good on your feet, otherwise you will need to take it slow as the others did. Yhe first day a van meets you after you are done all the way at the bottom and drives you back to the hotel. You will have a picnic style lunch at one of the minority villages. The sun is very hot, though the humidity is not present like in the rest of Vietnam so bring sunscreen and hats. Good hiking shoes that you can get dirty are essential as it is sometimes a little muddy and very dusty. The second day we trekked down and then had to trekk back up. Though on this day the road back up was paved and not at all a rugged terrain like the day before the trek back up was extremely difficult, even for me. I kept the same pace with our guide he was visably suprised that I was able to keep up with him. He asked me if I played sports. he and I frequently made stops to wait for the others to catch-up. It is an incredible work-out and you will be very sore after the first day. Additionally you get very, very sweaty and with the dust and sometimes mud you will rund for the shower and a fresh change of clothes as soon as you get back to the hotel so bring enough socks and clothes to change twice a day. Additionally pants and a light sweater work well in the evening as it gets cool. Overall Sapa itself and the hikes were an incredible experience. Very physically demanding and exhausting but so worth it. I was not at all impressed with the Bamboo Sapa, though the rooms may have been better if I stayed in the main building and not the "green" building. Tourists from all over the world are throughout Sapa so it is easy to wander around alone in the town and explore though the minorities will constantly try to sell you things. There were some others I met who were staying at the Royal Mountain View Hotel which is next to the Bamboo Sapa and they seened to like it so if ever in sapa again I plan to try that hotel. I would not use the Bamboo Hotel or any of it's tour/meal packages again after the experiences I had. I luckily had Vietnamese friend back in Hanoi who repeatedly called the travel agent in Hanoi (to complain about my train experience on the way up, because even the Vietnamese girls I work with were shocked I had to spend the night alone with 2 strange men). The train ride back was so much nicer. The car was beautiful and modern, It was the "Pumpkin" car. It was woder than the other car I came up in and I shared it with a nice Australian couple and another man. Additionally the bathroom was much nicer on this car. The bathroom in the car on the way up was incredibly nasty and thankfully I had a bottle of Purell with me because there was no soap and very little water. Even on the nicer car on the way back I used my own bottled water to brush my teeth and wash my face before going to sleep. Additionally I had a hand towel with me to dry everything off so it is a good idea to have plenty of bottled water with you and a small towel in the trains. No problems with thiefs or anyone trying to get into either car on my trip to and from sapa, though I have had Vietnamese colleagues tell me of experiences they had in the middle of the night with someone trying to open their window and grab a cell phone on the bedside table (the train makes other stops throughout the night). I just kept my bag on my bed with me on the way up at my feet so that I would wake up if someone tried to get to it and on the way back I kept it under my bed as the rooms and car were much nicer and this car was full of other tourists so it felt a lot safer. Overall I recommend Sapa and for the price of $120 total for the train, hotel, meals and treks I wasn't expecting luxury or perfection but I would not stay or book with the Bamboo Sapa again. It was definitely an adventure and being a seasoned traveler in Vietnam nothing was too big of a problem to handle, plus I had Vietnamese friends to call to help deal with any problems as well, but other tourists may not want or be able to deal with the issues that I had to deal withon my weekend trip.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank kgaz
Reviewed April 4, 2007

We were told that this hotel was 3 star. Definitely not - we upgraded from their awful Green Bamboo to a room in the Bamboo Sapa. The wanted $45US a night, but we got it for $40. Still not worth it when you compare to other hotels. It is old, paint is peeling from walls, rooms do have a fantastic view and that is its drawcard - but many other hotels in Sapa also have this. Hotel does do a great buffet breakfast. But for the price we were really not impressed. It has TV, but no english chanels - italian was the closest - who knows why. We had all meals at the hotel but wished we could have gone elsewhere, as it seems there was great food to be had, but our package came inclusive of meals. Next trip to SAPA which is an amazing place I would definitely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for one night during our 2 week vacation through Vietnam. We thought the view from our room was breath-taking and we appreciated the fact that we were sleeping in a clean, cool room. Outside of that I thought the hotel was overpriced ($48 US)for the quality of the facility (I think it's showing it's age) and also in comparison to other "budget" hotels that we stayed in during our trip. The food was less than average and I would have preferred a hotel location that was more central vs tucked away at the end of the road like this one.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank suzypac
Reviewed March 8, 2006

I stayed at the Bamboo Sapa in early Dec.05 I thought the rooms were clean,had everything you needed and well priced at $35 (midweek)The views were stunning.The food was satisfactory and far better than the Royal where I had several meals.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank Brianstan
Reviewed January 20, 2006

Given the competition this hotel is looking a little tired and overpriced, with an uninspiring restaurant and an uninviting lobby. The rooms however are pleasant and enough and the views are stunning. Nonetheless we chose to move next door to the brand new Royal View Hotel - much better value.

• Stayed: January 2006