“Incomparable to anywhere else in the world due to it's location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Topas Ecolodge

Topas Ecolodge
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Sapa
Singapore
“Incomparable to anywhere else in the world due to it's location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I really had no idea what to expect from an "Eco lodge", but was incredibly impressed with what I found. Spacious rooms with stunning views, away from the chaos of Sapa town. Delightful. To sit on the terrace with a cup of tea and just drink in the view. Heaven. Thoroughly recommend. Only thing I had issues with were the bugs/insects/moths - they really need to do something about this. But minor compared to everything's else.

• Stayed July 2014
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2014

We all have a great deal to thank the people that put this place together on this hill top. We as managers have a daily pleasure running the place and being very fortunate with our incredible hard working staff.
There is no immediate solution to cutting down the amount of bugs. We do not use any kind of pesticides but make sure that the windows and doors to the bungalows do shut tight. Removing bugs is done by hand or with our friendly frogs that are all around the compound.

Thank you for your comments lodge manager Eric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed one night at Topas Ecolodge in Sapa during July.

Pros:
- The rooms had amazing view, and the scenic drive through the mountains toward ecolodge was quite amazing. The view was arguably better those in Sapa.
- The service was decent, however, most of them can't speak good English.

Cons:
- Activities/Tours offered by the Topas (office located in Sapa) were very expensive. We joint one of the private hiking tour offered by Topas in Sapa (cost USD $45 p.p, which is v.expensive in Vietnamese standard). The tour guide spoke poor English and we didn't understand what he said most of the time. I would think if we were paying top price for a tour guide, at least they could have found someone know how to speak English. I would strongly recommend traveler to AVOID booking tours through Topas.
- While the hotel offered amazing views, the rooms/beds etc were not 5 star quality.(However, they do charge more than top 5 star hotels in Vietnamese standard.)

In short, it was a good experience overall. Recommending to stay in the hotel for one night and avoid using the tours.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 4, 2014

Dear Gary D.

As manager at Topas Ecolodge I am always interested to get comments on our service and overall how are we getting on. How satisfied are our guests. Your comment about our staff that can not speak good English gives me an opportunity to tell you and other readers how the situation is here at Topas Ecolodge. As part of this project we hire almost only local minority people from the area. They all have a limited amount of education, but are very nice an always smiling. There challenges are several. They all speak local minority languages and when they get to school they have to learn the vietnamese language. That means english is there 3.rd language and I must say, it is very hard for them to pronounce properly. I have numerous lessons with the staff. This work is very rewarding, as they are very keen to learn.
You also comment on the standard and price of the rooms and compare in general with other 5 star hotels in Vietnam. Our prices are given by they amount of costs we have to maintain 30 buildings on top of a mountain. The weather her ranges from 4 degrees and damp in the winter and hot, humid and over 40 degrees at other times of the year. We do not and can not be compared with other hotels. We have something extra ordinary here and there is a cost.
You also comment on your experience on a hiking tour arranged by Topas Travel. The procedure after the tour is as follows. The guide has a questionnaire which is run trough with the guests that have participated in the tour. Our guides are instructed to react on unsatisfactory results, so the company can if necessary give some compensation. Every guide has to hand in the questionnaire after the tour and to insure a high standard. The management looks through these. We will most certainly look into your case and I can offer you the possibility to contact our office direct if you so wish.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We booked only one night here.. and when we tried to extend we were unable due to the night trains being full!

Absolutely amazing setting in the mountains of Sapa, run by some good Pommie lads.

I strongly suggest staying at least two nights!

Great food too.

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms with number >200
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for writing to TripAdvisor.
I can not really understand your comment about Topas Ecolodge is run by "Pommie lads"
As danish lodge managers - my wife and I take great care to make sure all our guests are taken care of. Unless you have stayed here while we were on a short holiday, the place is under our leadership. We were away a week in July. It was the local staff that ran the place in close contact with us.

It is at challenge for all hotels i Sapa area, when our guests decide to stay an extra night, but unfortunately can not get a new train ticket. Within a short period of time a new highway will be completed from Hanoi til Lao Cai. This will indeed give a much more flexible journey to and from Sapa area.

Thank you for your comments lodge manager Eric.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

It's been about 6 months since I stayed here for 2 nights but it was one of my favourites.
To get there we had a hellish over night train from Hanoi to Lao Cai which arrived about 4am. We were so tired we barely noticed the scenic drive through the mountains as the sun started to rise. By the time we'd driven up to Topas it was about 6am and all I could think about was a shower and my bed and I questioned why on earth I'd done all this just to get there. I was soon regretting that!
We got in to our bungalow which was basic (but I'm saying that in a positive way) and extremely charming. The balcony looked out on to miles of mountains and rivers and countryside. Everything was clean and fresh and after the chaos of Hanoi the silence was bliss.
I've read some reviews on here which didn't really enjoy how basic the rooms were but I was more than happy. The room can get very damp as you are in the clouds but I soon learnt to leave the humidifier on and it wasn't a problem. Some people said they felt very cold at night but again the heater and warm PJ's were fine for me.
The bar/restaurant had simple but tasty food. The menu let's you sample a lot of different dishes which I liked. The main plus of this hotel is the location. You are just surrounded by the most amazing back drop and even in February when the sun came out it was gloriously hot.
The Red Dzao are a handful when leaving the complex but this is the nature of that area. At the end of the day they are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful guides. We were accompanied by 3 ladies round the buffalo trail trying to sell us things but also telling us about the area. Just be firm but fair if you don't want anything and its not a problem

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2014

Living on a hilltop and at a remote place at the same time gives its challenges. Nice to hear that you had read about the place before you came and to some extent knew what you could expect.
I can totally agree with you that the scenery is spectacular. It is no secrete though that we do experience days of cloud. We are situated in 1000 m altitude and it can be cold and cloudy. The opposite - sun and a clear sky is no rarity.
I am very pleased that you acknowledged the Red Dao ladies and your comments are most help full for future guests to understand there way of life, which is very hard compared to many of our guests.

Leiden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We chose this hotel because of the superb location, and upon arrival this happened to be very true. What nice premises beautifully located. We stayed here 3 nights in a deluxe bungalow with a superb view and (nessecary) AC. We spent a great time amidst a breathtaking scenery. The service however was not up to standard. Taking into consideration the high prices you pay we don't think you can use "working with local people who don't speak our language" as an excuse. If one is aware of this the prices should be lower.
All guests are obliged to use their dinner in this lodge and we found out that there is nothing to choose but only a set dinner at an expensive rate compared to Vietnamese standard. The food offered however was not even coming close to the standard compared to other (also difficult to reach) places in Vietnam. For all other meals in 50% of the cases we got something different from what we ordered. We think these are points that really deserve attention.
However, the breathtaking scenery also from our veranda made our stay worthwhile.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank godelleiden
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
The deluxe bungalow (9) do not have AC. There is an additional cost for one of the 16 upgraded Executive bungalows with AC and minibar.
Service and english skills are 2 key points we are dealing with as new managers. The staff are all hard working, however just to move a little forward, you have to persevere. The lodge is open all year, and with the same amount of staff in high and low season, there is a cost. We do not hide behind the fact that the staff are badly in need of more english skills, but part of the ecolodge mindset is to give local minority groups of people the opportunity to have a job and through this give them the necessary skills.
Your comment about the food – receiving something else than order is for me a little understandable. I have inquired into the matter – we are located remotely on a hill top and if stock runs out we can not always provide everything all the time. Our chefs however have a good feeling for what we can sell and buy accordingly.
Service is one thing, keeping all the staff in the low season is another. Price and quality will always be a subjective and personal view. We have other challenges compared to other hotels. We try to do our best and the majority of our guests thoroughly enjoy there stay.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

One night stay in Topas Ecolodge is another challenging experience for my Sapa trip. The location is far from busy Sapa Town, serene and quiet location is definitely place for rest and relax. The lodge have a balcony which I'd enjoyed my day just to look at the amazing show of the nature, the clouds surrounding the mountain changing all the time. After a few hours of resting, we decided to take our dinner at the only restaurant there. After I looked at the Menu, I found that I only have one dinner set menu to choose. I'm not really picky on the dinner, especially after I'm arrived Hanoi, I found most of the food (even the street food) are good to eat and is cheap. But, the dinner set menu here is disappointing me. Night time is the most challenging, I like natural and can accept most of the wildlife even cockroaches, but in the night, the lights in our room had attracting moths and some small bugsssss. The weather is hot and due to security issue we decided to close all the windows and the balcony door. That is no air-con or fresh air flowed in the room that night, and in the middle of the night the electricity seem like cut off..... ><lll

I felt so lucky that I only stay here for a night. Hope the lodge can improve the facilities and staff service attitude. I'm knew that most of the Vietnamese still can not communicate in English well, but that night I'm stayed might only have 10 couples, I would expecting one or two of the staffs would come to my table while I'm having my dinner or breakfast to check our needs and comments on the food.

As my conclusion, the lodge had located at very beautiful and fantastic location but most of the facilities and services are need to be improved.

P/s : Ecolodge should be environmental friendly, so please do consider to cut off the use of mineral bottle in the lodge.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichelleLow
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2014

We have 2 kinds og guest that come to Topas Ecolodge placed 18 km out of Sapa town. The one kind have either found us on the net or somebody has explain about the place. They come here to sit and relax – read a book an enjoy there holiday. Others come here for action. Trekking, walking and cycling in the vast area in the mountains and when the weather makes it possible you can get a very good experience by swimming / bathing in the nearby rivers.
The other kinds of guest are sent out here without knowing what they can expect. Some love it, others see it as a great challenge.
Topas Ecolodge is situated remotely on a hill top in the mountains. This place gives us as lodge managers different sorts of challenges and for the majority og guests very rewarding remarks.
Eco lodge has not so much to do with bottle water. Bottle water is clean and for drinking which is a necessity. Eco lodge has completely something todo with, not using pesticides and other chemicals and mostly giving the local minority people jobs, all year round. Part of our job is teaching them different skills. One of our goals is teaching them english and hospitality, something the minority people have no knowledge of. So it was correct of you to observe that several of our staff have still at lot to learn. They are all hard working og interested so it is a matter of time, then the results will follow.
We have upgraded 16 of the 25 bungalow with a combined air condition, dryer an heater. The last 9 bungalows are fitted with heaters, fans and dehumidifiers. We do a great deal to keep the humidity down in the rooms, so when our new guests arrive the rooms are nicely conditioned.

Twin Waters, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

This was our spoil to end our 18 days away from home and what a wonderful time we had. The scenery was ever changing - one minute you could see the mountains then it was shrouded in mist. The sun would shine on the rice paddies but by the time you had your camera out, it had changed!
We were told that 2 days here would be one too many but we found that we could have stayed another day longer.
It gave you time to connect with the location and peacefulness.
The Managers were amazing considering they have only been there for 4 months - very, very welcoming and full of knowledge.

Room Tip: Try to choose the Executive Suites - the view is continually changing and breathtaking. Be careful...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1402Eric, Manager at Topas Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
We have now been here for just over half a year. It takes time to a just and learn all the staff. Well on our way and very rewarding, when our guests have positive remarks about our work. Thank you. We will try to keep up the good work. It is a fun place to be and combined together with the fantastic location that gives our guests so much and reminds us to acknowledge the beauty of the area. Hope to seen you here again at some point.