“Friendly and authentic homestay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sapa
Ms. May Kieu's Homestay
Ranked #27 of 164 Sapa B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed with Mrs May Kieu's family for three nights in early May 2014. There is a tendency for there to be large bunkhouse style home stays in Vietnam and I was looking for something more authentic. I found it with May and here family who were very warm and hospitable. The house is just outside of the village and nicely placed to be quiet and yet not far from center. I was picked up by May in Sapa and perched on the back of her scooter for the short journey. She showed me around the village and the school. Her family are delightful once they get over their shyness. I asked if she could find interesting people who were willing to be photographed. This turned out to a great adventure since sometimes after a short chat I was able to set up my photograph and on other occasions chased out of the house with a big grin by an 80+ year old grandmother. The rooms were fine and the food excellent. I enjoyed the steam of village people who passed through the house since some came for a chat, others for a free meal (she's very generous), and others to sell textiles. The herbal bath was fascinating to watch and relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Jon P

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

This was my first home stay and I honestly didn't know what to expect but I my stay far exceeded my non exist ant expectations and then some! May kieu and her family are so genuinely warm and caring. Her home stay is the cleanest of the 4 I visited in three different villages so that is always a plus.

Unlike other villages, ta phin does not have internet connection so you'll be able to fully immerse yourself into the beautiful scenery and nature surrounding you.

I followed Ms May Kieu during her trips up the mountains and I got to witness her way of life. It is simple yet very heartwarming as she grows her own crops and raise her own animals-- she treats everything with care and respect.

Definitely stay here and tell her Tina says hi! :)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My homestay visit with Ms. May Kieu and her family was for one night on 19th March, 2014. I took the overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Kai and then jumped on one of the many minivans for the 35km. ride through the mountains to Sa Pa.
Once in Sa Pa, I was met shortly after by May Kieu's husband who picked me up on his motorbike and drove me back to their village home in Ta Phin.
After showing me my room, we went on a hike through mountain ranges, up valleys, down ridges, and into a cave. It was an adventure, not for the weak but a rare opportunity to see the sightlines from a villager's viewpoint.
Once back at the homestay, I was welcomed by May Kieu and her two wonderful children Tay and Dee. We had a hearty homecooked meal and got to know each other a bit better. After dinner, May's mother prepared an herbal bath for me. The process was interesting to watch but even better to partake in. It was totally relaxing and good for the body and soul, I was told.
My room was comfortable and clean. The family was more than obliging to help make my stay enjoyable.
I would recommend this homestay for those who want to experience something out of the ordinary, to live with a Red Dao family and at the same time, see how they live. There are a lot of traditions and customs that they adhere to, so one must be respectful of their ways and at the same time, learn about another culture steeped in tradition and history.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank esteban55
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed with May Kieu and her family for three days in June 2013. She looked after us well, serving a selection of delicious meals, some of which we enjoyed helping her prepare for (a great way of learning how to cook vietnamese dishes!) During our stay we accompanied May Kieu into the woodland area to collect 13 plants for a herbal bath- definitely give this a go! She and her husband's two beautiful children were a lot of fun. The scenery is absolutely stunning, and trek to the city of Sapa is a great activity, (however the rain prevented us from doing this). The bedrooms were extremely comfortable, with spacious mosquito nets fitted. May Kieu introduced us to many other locals, all of whom were friendly and welcoming. This homestay was fabulous and very affordable, couldn't recommend it more!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellie B
Reviewed February 8, 2014

During the cold month of January I stayed with May Kieu and her wonderful family for two nights at their homestay in the small village of Ta Phin which is approximately 8km north of Sapa. I was welcomed into the family home and from the very start made to feel like part of the family. During my stay there we did many things including, exploring the local cave which goes on for miles, take a trip up the mountain to collect plants for a lovely herbal bath, and take a hike from the village to Sapa, walking across paddy fields and through tiny villages.
May Kieu cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day and even though I don't eat meat she was really obliging in meeting my dietary requirements. The portions were always huge, more than I cold ever eat and the food delicious. In fact her spring rolls are the stuff of legend and when washed down with copious amounts of rice wine ensured a very contented evening.
I would definitely recommend a stay at May Kieu's place to anyone who wanted to experience a piece of the real Vietnam. It's perhaps not for people who can't stand to be away from a television for any great deal of time or want five star luxury, but if you're one of those people you're probably not reading this review anyway. I might have only stayed there for two nights but the memories of the warmth and kindness showed to me in Ta Phin will last a lifetime.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Matt D
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've stayed with May Kieu and her family three times on trips to Ta Phin. The rooms are a nice size, the beds are comfortable and the food is delicious. Her family is also very welcoming. It is always very relaxing to stay here. The location is excellent. It is a little removed from the main village square where tourists get dropped off and picked up so it is much quieter. Still the walk to the square is no more than 10 minutes. If you want to learn more about Yao (Dao), May Kieu and her neighbours are very keen to talk or you can take a stroll around the village and see what people are up to. This is definitely a great place to stay if you want to get a feel for life in a Yao (Dao) village!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks in Taphin at Ms May Kieu's homestay. The village is truly rustic and the scenery is breathtaking! May Kieu's family is super friendly and you meet many of the locals through them. Her home is very comfortable considering how primitive the village is. We really enjoyed the private bedrooms, a real shower and a flush toilet. The meals were delicious and our walks to the village square, fun and interesting. Ms. May Kieu's family made us feel very welcome and treated us like we were part of the family! They are wonderful people and we cannot wait to go back! A unique and enjoyable experience. We recommend it to anyone who is looking to enjoy a stay off the beaten path!

Room Tip: The rooms are large and fairly private