“Awesome!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sapa Backpackers
Ranked #39 of 99 Specialty Lodging in Sapa
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

This place is cool! Nice atmosphere, cute children working here and everybody is very friendly and helpful. They organise great trekkings with Susu with a realy nice local homestay. Would love to go back here!!

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

This is the only bad review i have unfortunately, but in writing it I hope the management will see it and sort it out...
The ground floor teaches English to kids which is great, and there is a lot of charitable work going on. It seems the girls run the place during the day. They were very enthusiastic. Unfortunately when some people checked out of our room the girls came to do their beds - the sheets were simply shaken and folded, not changed. All sheets in the room were absolutely filthy to begin with - dodgy stains and a lot had mould spots growing on them. Also, the showers on both floors didn't work. We met some cool people here but for these two reasons I wouldn't recommend it, unless the above is sorted out! But for $4....

Stayed May 2014
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I don't like writing negative reviews as I always try to look for the positive side of a situation...however I am really struggling with Sapa Backpackers.

The location is good enough - just behind Sapa Church and a short walk down the steps to the main streets for shops and restaurants.

The price is also fabulous if you're on a budget - $3 a night (though I was told this can be more if you just turn up without booking in advance).

The rooms are basic, which is fine - after 12 months travelling around the world I am well used to basic. However, the mould covering the walls really made me uncomfortable (I'm aware there is a problem in areas of Vietnam regarding damp, but this was extreme), as did the filthy sheets, pillow and duvet cover. The towel provided was so disgusting and had such a stench I could not use it, and there was a lot of litter, dead insects, nail clippings and the remains of a spliff under my bed, which had obviously not been cleaned for a long time.

The window on our dorm did not shut properly and was left to flap about in the wind and rain that we experienced during my visit. The door also did not lock (and there was no key provided anyway), though lockers were provided (complete with rubbish dumped inside).

The bathrooms were a reasonable size and there was one on each floor. However, the floors were always filthy, there was really any toilet paper, and only one of the showers had hot water.

Another thing that made me uncomfortable was the little girls that were working there. They must only be 9 or 10 but they are the ones checking guests in, cleaning, taking money...they were there all the time so they were obviously not going to school and when you tried to engage them in any sort of conversation they were not interested...not what you expect when the whole point of this set up is to help the children learn English.

On a side point, I booked a trek through the backpackers with a local guide. It was more expensive than advertised at other hostels/agencies in town but I didn't mind too much as it was effectively a private tour. However, after being promised visits to various hilltribe villages and trekking with magnificent views of the rice fields and countryside that Sapa is famous for, I was disappointed to follow the main road for over an hour before following a well-used footpath/track for the rest of the trek, passing by a couple of farms until we reached my guide's village where we had (an admittedly great) lunch at the local shop before going to her house so she could pick up some personal items and drop off some foods she had picked up on her way. I actually saw better scenery on the motorbike journey on the way back to Sapa (which was an additional cost) and had more encounters with hilltribe villagers at the market in town.

I'm sorry to say I would not return to Sapa Backpackers, and I won't be recommending it to anyone to stay

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kirsty D
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this place for 9 days- located in the very center of the city not far from the church but still on a quite street. This is a great place to get to know the locals, meet a lot of other travelers and volunteer in building "Sapa hope center"- a home and a school for homeless village kids, which was funded by Peter the owner. Accomadation is the cheapest you could find in Sapa, although the rooms arn't very clean (that's pratically the only bad thing I had to say about this place)

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed at Sapa Backpackers because I liked the idea that my money was going towards helping kids. When you first get off the bus in Sapa (drops you near the lake), it's about a 10-15min walk. Usually on of the Hmong women who are clamouring for you to byu a tour off them will show you where to go and walk you there (in the hopes that you'll then book a trip with them).

Sapa Backpackers is EXCELLENTLY located near everything while still being on a quiet street. The little girls who help out are adorable, the tea and breakfast is fantastic, and the owner even helped me rent a motorbike on my own so I could drive around on my own (definitely a must-do).

If I had more time on my trip, I would have definitely stayed a week longer to help out with the Hope Centre, which most of the people in my dorm were there for. STAY HERE, you won't regret it!!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Sapa Backpackers a.k.a Sapa Hope Center is not only a hostel but also a place providing English teaching to children in Sapa. It's so great that you couldn't find any hostel like Sapa Backpackers to be a volunteer for community service! i was going to Sapa alone on March,the weather is pretty cold and foggy.I hardly withstand it but the thing that made me warm is Sapa Backpackers. We(with other travellers) had a dinner(it's curry,i miss it a lot) cooked by one of a traveler,it's absolutely delicious at that freezing night. Besides,Peter also helped me arranging transport and hiking tour(because maybe you don't know which tour is the best and suitable for you). i wished to be staying there for longer time to help them up in developing their new centre but unfortunately i'd to go home at the next day. I'm sure i'll be there again to experience and know more about this lovely place. Thanks to Peter, although i was alone,but i met so many friends there!

1 Thank BoeyYingyan
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

5 of us took a trip to sapa and after reading all the reviews booked into sapa backpackers. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and it was a nice change to sit and have breakfast with the local tribes people and peters friends. Between us we had a dorm and a private room- both were fine. It's basic accommadation in a great location with very nice people and a chance to help with English lessons. The egg sandwiches at breakfast are also great and cheap. We took a trek to a local ladies village who also stayed at the hostel, her name was suesue, we highly recommend taking the hike with her! Wifi was hit and miss but not a problem. Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Dorms have big lockers to keep your belongings!