Sapa Lodge Hotel
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Very Good 4/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsmountain viewsister hotelhot watergreat viewricehotel is locatedconstruction noiseovernight train from hanoicomfortable roomafter checking outtrain stationgreat roomstayed for one nightfamily roomhotel stafftown centreno elevator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed here as part of a tour. Our heat worked great.The shower was powerful and hot, but ran out fairly fast. It is a brand new place, so it's modern and they do a great job keeping it clean. The staff was also very nice.

One of the best in town for sure. Great views when the fog clears.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ihavethewanders
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having caught the overnight train from Hanoi, I arrived at around 07:30. I was helped out of the minivan and offered a seat in the lobby. A cup of tea was immediately provided and the hotel manager took me through the my booking to confirm that all the details were correct. I decided to add another night's stay and was so glad that I did.

I was given free early check-in to room 502. It was very spacious with wooden floors, two double beds and a small, but very nice, bathroom. I had a writing desk and fridge but the best feature was the balcony. Sitting out here enjoying a coffee and the last of the winter sun's warmth in the late afternoon is the best antidote to sore legs from a day's trekking. The uninterrupted view to the mountain range is really special and more than justifies the slightly higher price. The Wi-fi was good, the A/C efficient and everything was spotless.

The breakfast service (which is complementary) was a little slow on one of my 3 mornings and the menu is not expansive. That said, the service was always provided with a smile and all hotel staff were interested in what you thought of the room and were keen to help in anyway they could (from discussing tours, to suggesting restaurants and organizing a bus back to Lao Cai for the train to Hanoi).

I went trekking on my third day and despite checking-out that morning, when I return to collect my bags I was immediately offered a room (free of charge) so I could take a shower and change my clothes. I was then directed to the dining area for the 30 minute wait before the bus was due to arrive. I was then provided with some cups of tea, all complimentary.

The manager said that the hotel had only opened recently and this is obvious from the decor and furnishings of the rooms. The quality of the rooms and service makes this excellent value for money and the location is breathtaking. A really good stay.

Room Tip: Go for 501 or 502. The balcony and view is worth the slightly higher price.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We arrived very early and the hotel checked us in straightaway which was great as it was so cold. The heating was on which was a huge plus in the room. After a couple of hiccups which the staff sorted out immediately we were able to relax in the comfort of our room.
The staff are extremely accommodating and their command of English is very good.
Breakfast is good even though they often run out due to the fact that they are very busy but are only too happy to fulfil your requests.
Cable tv is great. As is the heating which is a must in Sapa.
Overall would recommend the rooms with mountain view as this is great when the weather permits.
We would stay here again. Location great.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by our staff at a hotel in Hanoi. We trusted her and felt even better after looking on tripadvisor. We arrived to the hotel and were greeted by the friendly staff. The room we checked into was not what we wanted. We were told we would have a balcony and the staff immediately got us a room that we asked for. No hassle. For our time there, if we needed any assistance the staff was more than happy to help.
The room was very spacious and well decorated. We had room 502. I recommend any room ending in 2 or 1 because you get a nice balcony with a fantastic view. Rooms ending in 3 don't have a balcony.
The only real complaint I have was the breakfast. It was slim pickings or you had to wait until the next dish was cooked and brought out. They would bring things out one at a time so by the time you would be done eating it would be an hour or so later.
Oh, I recommend the trekking tour through the hotel. It's cheaper than a private tour and you do the exact same thing. The only downfall, and this is for most of the tours I saw. The guide picks you up at the hotel and she has 3-5 other friends with her. They are all from the same village where you stop for lunch. You start the trek and they all try to engage in small talk, a few hours later you stop at a village for lunch. Literally soon as you sit down they surround your table and start to ask you to buy stuff from them. They just stand there and keep asking, you might even get other locals coming to you asking the same things. Once other tourists showed up they left us and went to ask them. It's not a good atmosphere for lunch. The funny thing is when we didn't buy anything, the second half of the trek there was only the guide with us which was nice but I'm sure she was upset that we didn't buy from her friends. Even when we tipped her, she didn't seem that grateful.
PS - I didn't see one Asian tourist (Chinese) doing the trek, they all drive along the highway wearing the fake Northface gear and take pictures from the viewing points. lol
For the price and hospitality I would recommend this to anybody.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 1 or 2 are the best. Example 501 or 502, 401,402, etc....
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Perogiee
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We arrived early in the morning and were given a room straight away. Breakfast buffet is fine and lunch and dinner were very tasty.
Staff were very attentive and keen to help.
The view from the room balcony was great.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple