“Great experience!”

H'Mong Sapa Hotel
Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Sapa
“Great experience!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Thank you Hoa, Phil and all the staff (and the lovely H'mong guides of course) for a great experience!
We got a nice room with an amazing view over the rice fields, of course the hotel cannot control the weather and make it cristal clear ;)
Hoa and Phil run this great program of providing the tourist a more personal experience with the H'mong people while helping them at the same time with their basic needs. Respect guys!
Keep up the good work and warm hearts!
Katrin & Ricardo

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ricardo S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Keithw532
Reviewed January 1, 2014

OK if I had not become sick during my stay I would probably have given 4 stars, its wonderfully a wonderfully located hotel set above the town with spectacular views over the mountains beyond. The rooms are very comfortable with a big cosy bed and great warm duvets. Bathroom with shower was very clean and the water always runs hot (great after a days hiking). A nice breakfast served by 2 wonderfully smiling young local ladies.

Sadly for me I became very sick on the second day of my stay (be careful what you eat in Sapa is my very very big tip). The wonderful staff here really cared about my poor health ensuring that I was properly hydrated and warm. I can only thank them with all of my heart for this care and support. Being sick so far from home is never going to be nice but staying in this hotel knowing the staff cared made me feel so much better.

Great little shops across the road for picking up snacks or motorbike rental.

I don’t like be critical about anything about this hotel but it was quite a stiff uphill walk from the town. Suggest a motorbike taxi and if you bargain hard its approx 15.000 VND less than 50 pence.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Keithw532
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We arrived at a very welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Needless to say all the staff exceeded in helping. The atmosphere is cozy and best of all is the cleanliness. Phil and Hoa are very knowledgeable and made a difference in our trip with the type of info we needed to have a lovely trip in spite of all the snow and rain; they went out of their way to provide us with the best.
Also the restaurant was truly the best (CLEAN) including the prices. Excellent chef plus they employ local ethnic tribe people for the services which adds to the entire SAPA experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelwithAndre
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I booked to spend two nights at H'Mong Sapa Hotel this for a long weekend in Sapa with two friends of mine. We were travelling there from Hanoi and were looking for a place that was peaceful, friendly, comfortable (especially warm, as it's cold in Sapa in December) and most of all a champion of sustainable travel. H'Mong Sapa Hotel not only fulfilled all of our requirements but far exceeded them.
The hotel is run by Phil and Hoa, a super friendly couple who have great knowledge of the local area. We made our booking using the Agoda link from trip advisor two nights before arriving and there was a problem with the booking (Agoda had booked two of us at a completely different hotel and the third person at H'Mong Sapa as requested - the link has apparently now been fixed, but best to call up the hotel to confirm your booking, or just book with them directly to avoid this hassle) and when Hoa and I discovered Agoda's error she went our of her way to accommodate us, which was such a relief.
Upon our arrival, after a long and difficult train trip from Hanoi, we were welcomed into the hotel and offered delicious tea by an open fireplace in the restaurant area. Amazing! Mulled wine, hot spiced apple cider, spiked hot chocolate and coffee: all on the winter specials menu and worth tasting. My friends and I were unsure what we wanted to do in sapa, but were keen to do something unique and sustainable and wanted to know how we could experience some of the local cultures without having a negative impact on the communities. Phil was extremely knowledge about this matter, and told us about how the area has changed over the years, both in good ways and in bad ways. He told us which villages to avoid (due to the negative impact that tourism is having on them) and helped us plan a trek up to a village to have lunch with a H'Mong family. I would recommend this day trip without reservation, but with one disclaimer: watch out for the medicine wine. On the second day of our stay I was sick (with food poisoning that I had had on and off since the previous week after eating some mouldy peanuts in Hanoi) and Phil and Hoa let me stay in the cozy room all day (even though we weren't staying at the hotel that night) and enquired about my well-being, which was lovely.
The hotel is comfortable and mostly very warm. I was very warm in my room and in my bed, which was equipped with electric blanket. The showers are hot and have excellent water pressure. The hotel is tastefully decorated and upmarket, but in a homely way. The food in the restaurant is excellent and the H'Mong girls working in the restaurant are adorable and have a great rapport with customers and with Phil and Hoa. Clearly all of the staff love working at H'Mong Sapa Hotel, and this creates a very positive atmosphere that leaves you feeling warm and peaceful after a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank EricaL1986
Den Haag
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel has a nice and cosy atmosphere! The breakfast is great (you can choose from different types of set menu's), the view from the balcony is very nice and the rooms are fine! People are friendly. So it was a pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RdeBruijn
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Our 3 nights in Sapa were a highlight of this trip to Vietnam, and our hosts and the staff here directly contributed to this. As commented regularly here, Phil and Hwa were gracious, informative hosts, with a passion for contributing to the local community in as many ways as possible. Local H'Mong staff were delightful- cheerful and enthusiastic- and the food was great too. Our tours and experiences were fascinating and fun along with being eye opening and humbling. After following their advice on excursions, it was lovely to return to the warmth of our cosy room and spotless bathroom, or to sup a restorative beverage by the open fire!
This new hotel is only 12 months old, and we all wish it a long and happy career! Thankyou :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BendigoRobin
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I just got back from my trip in Vietnam and cannot wait to share my memorable experience at this hotel.

First of all, the staffs here cannot be more helpful and friendly. We didn't have a plan when we arrived, but Phil and Hwa helped us out. Their recommendations and suggestions are like those from friends who know the area very well. We could have gone to some crowded touristic place if it wasn't because of their help. The other staffs can communicate in English and even sometimes they didn't understand us, they were eager to help.

Our rooms were clean and spacious. And the view from the room is just breath-taking (even it was foggy during our stay). The water heater works very well. And two bottles of water are for free.

Most important thing, we had our best meal of the trip at the hotel restaurant. Phil told us they served the best food in town but we wanted to try something local. But he was right. We went to one of the best restaurants in town and it wasn't as good as we expected. So the next day we had our dinner at the hotel and it was amazing! We love the rainbow trout in sizzling pan! Oh and the breakfast here is more than what you could ask for. And how wonderful it was to see big smiles from the staffs at the restaurant every morning.

We definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planing their trip to Sapa!

Room Tip: Ask them to arrange the pick up for just $2.5 /way/person. It's safe and very convenient.