“You get what you pay for.”

Victoria Sapa Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Sapa
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel may be pricier than other options in Sapa but the location and quality is worth it in my opinion. We only stayed 1 night but the bed was comfortable, the rooms were spotless and a good size and varied with the view. Our view was over the township which may not be the premium view but i loved watching all the action going on below us. The breakfast was ample and the front office supervisor had the warmest and most welcoming smile. We travelled as a group of 10 and being that I am a travel agent i was 100% aware of the room types I had booked. I had an email dated a few days before our arrival once again confirming our room request but On arrival our required rooming was not available. This was slightly annoying but we got on with it and set about exploring this stunning destination. The resort has some renovations going on in the pool area which was undercover and looked lovely. I did not go in as I was unwell but accompanied my husband who wanted to use the gym equipment. This was quite minimal so if a mega gym is what you need on holiday then this place is not for you. The walk to and from the hotel and all around Sapa was more than enough workout for me. I would recommend this hotel and also the option to use the Victoria Express carriage in conjunction with this hotel for the return trip to Sapa. Given the reports of other train carriages for this journey it is worth the extra money for the cleanliness of the cabins and bathroom facilities. The train trip is noisy due to the tracks but the experience of the Victoria Express itself is lovely with the restaurant car, departure lounge in Hanoi (located across the road from the very busy station with air conditioning and free wifi) My only concern on the Victoria Express was the level of service if you were not Vietnamese or French. We were a group of 10 and in order to accommodate my group without having to share with strangers my husband and I paid the extra to have the deluxe 2 berth Cabin. This was lovely and had a little more room given there was no overhead bunk. Other than that I did not expect any extra special attention but we could not help but notice that any Westerners were treated very much as second class citizens. With the "complimentary" breakfast we were rationed to 1 cup of coffee and a croissant and despite asking several times and offering to pay and then pleading I could not get so much as a glass of water to take my medication. All the while 4 Vietnamese ladies had a full hot breakfast bottomless coffee and juices and the attention of the 2 staff. I overheard another western guest (not from my group) ask if they could look at and order from the same breakfast menu and they were told "This is not available for you"??? I have no doubt that these ladies would have paid for the privilege of the hearty breakfast but i think this should be offered to all guests travelling on the Victoria Carriages. The option to pre-order and pre-pay for a set menu for dinner on the return journey was something the staff made us all aware of and this option was taken up by 3 of our group however on arrival to the dining car they were told they could not sit at the only table set for 3 as this was not their table. They showed their receipt of their prepayment of dinner and were put at another table while the staff tried to find out what had gone wrong with their order. In the meantime a french family of 7 sat at the table set for 3 and got the set menu. While a meal was organised and wine offered as compensation it still did nothing to help with the feeling of not being worthy of good service if you did not fit a certain race. Overall the experience was one we all enjoyed and Sapa is well worth the visit whether you can afford to do the Victoria or not. It is truly a unique destination and one that will too soon become busier with more tourists once the highway from Hanoi is complete.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank derfoofas
fomvictoriasapa, Front Office Manager at Victoria Sapa Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear derfoofas,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for the time you spent writing us a feedback on your experience.
On the behalf of our Team, I will transmit your kind word to our members of staff. Our train Team has been acknowledged about your impressions, and the management is currently investigating and training.
We deeply hope your stay remained enjoyable, and would be more than happy to welcome yourself or your guests in our property again.

Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is up on a hill overlooking Sapa. Apparently there is a hold cart that can take you up and down but we walked. Look for the stair shortcut. Service was excellent. Breakfast was fine. This is. More luxurious hotel than most if not all in Sapa. There is traditional weaving in the lobby which is interesting. The spa was wonderful but a bit of a short walk up a small hill. Definitely would come back.

Stayed: July 2014
fomvictoriasapa, Front Office Manager at Victoria Sapa Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear dngclark,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor traveling community.
We deeply appreciate your feedback, as we are always seeking for receiving opinions from our guests.
Sapa and its fantastic surroundings are entering into rice harvesting season very soon, and the picturesque valleys offer amazing landscapes at the moment.
We hope to host you again during your next exploration of the area.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We caught the Victoria overnight train from Hanoi to Sapa and back, which was very enjoyable. The bathroom facilities were far better than what I was expecting, and the stay was comfortable. But the resort itself, was fantastic. We arrived at 8am tired and hungry to be greeted by staff with the most amazing cinnamon/honey tea I've ever tasted. Then a staff member sat us down and gave us all the information about the hotel, before telling us we could have breakfast and then head to our room, which was ready for us. The next day we weren't leaving for our train until 6.30pm, so they let us keep our room until then, free of charge. Incredible! We felt like royalty the way we were treated while staying here, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
(P.s. The massage at the spa was pricey, but very relaxing)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarahdouglas92

Dear sarahdouglas92,

Thank you very much for your kind comment.
We are rewarded to read our quality of service could make your stay enjoyable, and we are delighted if you could appreciate our efforts.
Looking forward to welcome you again in the Tonkin Alps, we remain at your disposal for any further enquiry.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We arrived early in the morning by train in Lao Cai. An hour by car to Sapa took us to the Victoria Sapa Resort and Spa. We were welcomed very friendly with a good breakfast. After breakfast a little dip in the pool and our room was ready by 11am. Rooms are of good quality and clean. We slept ver well apart from a dog barking outside for 2 hours but this can happen anywhere. The restaurant in the hotel is extremely expensive for Vietnamese standards. We walked into town where are plenty of good restaurants. As we like Asian food we mostly go for the local restaurants that offer good quality for low prices, and a real Vietnamese experience!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Dirk G,

Thank you very much for your interest in our hotel.
We are grateful to read our quality of service could match your expectations, and would like to extend our thanks for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.
Our Tavan Restaurant is indeed more pricy than the local restaurant options in town, however we have unique local preparations, in which we could recommend our Sapa trout crispy skin, or our duck “vit sau” (a very particular citrus in North Vietnam” or again our organic Hmong chicken.
We hope to welcome you again occasionally for your return in the Tonkin Alps,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The train ride in the Victoria carriage was as good as it could be and our arrival at breakfast time in the hotel was welcoming although our rooms were not ready. We went out visiting the black Hmong and came back later. My room was fine and had free wifi as did the whole hotel. Comfortable, clean and with all the modern amenities. Weather not so good but I had a nice view over the garden. Altogether much better than expected. I got soaked in the afternoon and asked if my shoes and clothes could be dried. They were and came back when I was told they would. Good service!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear oykel,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Victoria Sapa Resort & Spa.
We are more than happy to read you appreciated our services, and your kind word will be transmitted to our Teams, in both train and hotel.
We hope you will plan further trips to Vietnam and the magnificent area of Sapa, as we stay ready to host you again.
We would like to wish you enriching, memorable and safe travels.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

As soon as we arrived I felt really comfortable. We had booked a room with a garden view and were upgraded to a room with a view to the mountains. The room had a small balcony. The ensuite was a good size and the bed large and very comfortable. The room didn't have air conditioning but as the climate is milder than Hanoi the ceiling fan was all we needed. We had a lunch in the hotel dining room. The serves weren't large but well presented and tasty. I heartily recommend grandmas apple tart. Delicious. We had a couple of massages and treatments at the hotel spa. Very professional and relaxing. Relatively expensive compared to spas outside the resort but the spa facilities were worth the extra cost.
For an extra cost we were able to extend our checkout to coincide with our transfer by shuttle bus to the evening train. All transfers were booked through our hotel and the bus was on time and clean. The roads were a bit wet and windy but I felt very safe.
The hotel is located up a steep private driveway. You can walk down steps to the town but if you are unable an electric golf cart is available to transfer guests up the hill to the spa or down to visit the town.
We didn't use the pool as it was school holidays in Vietnam and the indoor heated pool was pretty busy.
The staff were friendly and helpful. Most spoke enough English to assist with our food and beverage orders and any queries we had.
I would stay at the Victoria again. It did appear to be one of the best in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Carolyn A,

Thank you very much for staying with us, as well as spending time to post a review on our property.
We are more than happy to read your experience was enjoyable, as we always look forward to improve our quality of service.
Sapa surroundings are such magnificent landscapes, we are proud to have the chance to serve you, in this unique place.
We hope to welcome you again in the future, during your further exploration of North Vietnam.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed for 3 nites with my boy friend after long trip from Hanoi. Their preparation from the moment on board at the Luxury Sapa train til the C/O from the hotel was amazing.
The staffs were so friendly always smile! Especially their Director of Operation Mr. Tri was so hospitable and professional.
I am looking forward to coming back soon for my next holiday. I miss their Beautiful view from rooms, nice spa services, good facilities!

Room Tip: Rooms with lake views were so beautiful!